Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    The season is pretty close to getting underway so it's time for a 2017-18 thread.

    For those Lakers fans who may want to keep track of our commits for the future, here's where current commits are playing their junior hockey this season:

    Ashton Calder -- Lincoln (USHL)
    Mike Mannara -- Muskegon (USHL)
    Chase Pilawski -- Tri-City (USHL)
    Niko Esposito -- Sioux City (USHL)
    Spencer DenBeste -- Cedar Rapids (USHL)
    Dustin Manz -- Prince George (BCHL)
    Owen Guy -- Ottawa (CCHL)
    Matthew Barnaby -- Pembroke (CCHL)
    Robert Blueger -- Fairbanks (NAHL)
    Jack Robbel -- Minot (NAHL)
    Garrett Nieto -- Janesville (NAHL)

  • #2
    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (0-0-0)
    -Laurentian (EXH)
    -Northern Michigan
    -at Northern Michigan
    -2 at Denver
    -2 at Michigan State
    -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh)
    -vs. Arizona State/Providence (Pittsburgh)
    So, this is our non-conference schedule for this season, from the WCHA season thread.

    I feel like we could go 4-4 pretty easy with this slate (not counting the Laurentian game) - Split with NMU, win 2 at MSU, and win at least 1 at the Three Rivers Classic.

    That being said, I do think we can split with Denver. Yes, they won the title last year, but a number of their top players in that run are now gone. I think that since it will be their banner raising game, they may be a little too overconfident with little LSSU coming in, so I think we may be able to sneak at least 1 win in there.

    I'm also not super familiar with ASU, Providence or Robert Morris, so I'm not sure how strong any of those teams are.

    What does everyone else think?
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

      Originally posted by Deman View Post
      So, this is our non-conference schedule for this season, from the WCHA season thread.

      I feel like we could go 4-4 pretty easy with this slate (not counting the Laurentian game) - Split with NMU, win 2 at MSU, and win at least 1 at the Three Rivers Classic.

      That being said, I do think we can split with Denver. Yes, they won the title last year, but a number of their top players in that run are now gone. I think that since it will be their banner raising game, they may be a little too overconfident with little LSSU coming in, so I think we may be able to sneak at least 1 win in there.

      I'm also not super familiar with ASU, Providence or Robert Morris, so I'm not sure how strong any of those teams are.

      What does everyone else think?
      I'd like to see at least a .500 record in non-conference games. Doable if the team plays well. Providence has had a good team in recent years and Robert Morris will be in their home territory, so the Pittsburgh tournament will be a good challenge. And Denver obviously will be tough; it would be nice to grab a win out there. MSU won't be as easy this season as last; they did improve their play as last season went along and we caught them early. I'm not crazy about playing league teams in non-conference games (unless it happens to be in a tournament). I understand that it will be a money saver in this case, but I'd prefer to see us play someone in another conference for all our non-con games.

      We'll have to see who steps up to the plate among the goalies to be the #1 guy. If we have more than one guy playing well enough in net to make that decision tough for the coaches, so much the better. We have a lot of new D-men this season and I'm very interested in seeing how well they play. In my opinion, overall team skating ability/speed at D is an area where we really need to improve and hopefully this group will help do that (along with Pilawski and Mannara coming in next season). We have a lot of inexperienced guys in net and at D going into the season. At least on D we have enough returnees to help make it a little easier for the new guys to transition in. And Kossoff will be back in net although he didn't see a lot of playing time last season
      Last edited by Bill; 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

        Originally posted by Deman View Post

        That being said, I do think we can split with Denver. Yes, they won the title last year, but a number of their top players in that run are now gone. I think that since it will be their banner raising game, they may be a little too overconfident with little LSSU coming in, so I think we may be able to sneak at least 1 win in there.
        If the Lakers can pull an upset against Denver, it will rank as one of the biggest of the season. They have Borgstrom, Terry, Gambrell, and Jaillet all returning - every one a legit All-America player. Yes, they lost Will Butcher, but their D is very strong especially if Hammond makes a full recovery. If you're a unanimous pick for first in the NaCHo, I think you're pretty loaded.

        Would love to see it, but that seems like a bridge too far.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

          Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          If the Lakers can pull an upset against Denver, it will rank as one of the biggest of the season. They have Borgstrom, Terry, Gambrell, and Jaillet all returning - every one a legit All-America player. Yes, they lost Will Butcher, but their D is very strong especially if Hammond makes a full recovery. If you're a unanimous pick for first in the NaCHo, I think you're pretty loaded.

          Would love to see it, but that seems like a bridge too far.
          I thought Terry left after last season, guess my assumption was wrong.

          But yeah, it's a longshot. I don't expect a sweep, but I don't think we'll get creamed even if we do lose both. Being able to keep up with that caliber of a team could be a huge boost to the team.
          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

          Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

            I am not sure if Kossoff is going to get the job . I think the competition will be tough this year and Kossoff played very little last year .

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

              Originally posted by Deman View Post
              So, this is our non-conference schedule for this season, from the WCHA season thread.

              I feel like we could go 4-4 pretty easy with this slate (not counting the Laurentian game) - Split with NMU, win 2 at MSU, and win at least 1 at the Three Rivers Classic.

              That being said, I do think we can split with Denver. Yes, they won the title last year, but a number of their top players in that run are now gone. I think that since it will be their banner raising game, they may be a little too overconfident with little LSSU coming in, so I think we may be able to sneak at least 1 win in there.

              I'm also not super familiar with ASU, Providence or Robert Morris, so I'm not sure how strong any of those teams are.

              What does everyone else think?
              ASU is a good team, plays very physical and takes advantage of turnovers from those big hits in center ice, they are real good at the clutch and grab game, Robert Morris is picked as the number 1 team in AH, Providence is picked as number 2 in HE behind BU, they have a lot coming back, Denver, well.... is consensus number 1, I hope you win all of them, but realistically 500 is optimistic.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

              It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                Mitch Hults picked up a game winning goal for Anaheim in last night's preseason game against LA:

                https://***********/AnaheimDucks/sta...71456055263232

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                  Any predictions on where they will pick the Lakers to finish . I am going with 7th .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                    _/ stick taps for former Laker and Husky Mitch Lane, who lost his battle with cancer at age 44.

                    https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Tech,-LSSU.php
                    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

                    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                      That really is sad. I remember when he played for the Lakers and just to young to pass and leave a family .

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                        Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        Any predictions on where they will pick the Lakers to finish . I am going with 7th .
                        We were picked 6th in both the coaches and media polls:

                        http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1718/201709/sep25wcm.php

                        Also, the first Laker Hockey Show of the season is tomorrow evening from the Antlers.
                        Last edited by Bill; 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          ASU is a good team, plays very physical and takes advantage of turnovers from those big hits in center ice, they are real good at the clutch and grab game, Robert Morris is picked as the number 1 team in AH, Providence is picked as number 2 in HE behind BU, they have a lot coming back, Denver, well.... is consensus number 1, I hope you win all of them, but realistically 500 is optimistic.
                          Swept at Denver, hope for splits in the other 3. The team that gave up the 2nd most goals took serious hits to their blue line depth and if the offense (now without Henke & Hults), looks like it did over the second half, this team will be in a battle to make the playoffs.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                            Where did Henke go ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

                              Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                              Swept at Denver, hope for splits in the other 3. The team that gave up the 2nd most goals took serious hits to their blue line depth and if the offense (now without Henke & Hults), looks like it did over the second half, this team will be in a battle to make the playoffs.
                              Unless Henke left within the last week or two, he's on the team. I talked to him at the Blueliner's Laker Launch event, and he is listed on the roster.
                              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

                              Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X