Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rube
    replied
    Re: Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    While not preferable this wouldn't be the worst thing as it would force the hands of leagues to shorten up their conference season though it has the potential to hurt teams as they will lose home dates.

In general I'm against this (like I'm sure most will) and I think any silver lining will out-weigh the loss but i do have to note that there is a silver lining here.
    I could see the holiday tourneys being cut out, as they usually fall on breaks and probably aren't money makers.

Of course, that could tie into shortening the conference record, as I think more often than not, those same holiday tourneys have OOC games, which many teams want/need for the PWR.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Shorter seasons will win the war with major juniors.

Leave a comment:

• Alton
    replied

Originally posted by Patman View Post
    While not preferable this wouldn't be the worst thing as it would force the hands of leagues to shorten up their conference season though it has the potential to hurt teams as they will lose home dates.
    Why would shortening conference seasons be good? I think the only good reason to do so would be to create more non-conference games, and more non-conference games would be about the last possible result of this proposal.

Leave a comment:

• Patman
    replied

In general I'm against this (like I'm sure most will) and I think any silver lining will out-weigh the loss but i do have to note that there is a silver lining here.

Leave a comment:

• Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

College hockey has benefited on several occasions from the fact that it tends to fly under the NCAA's radar. The sport has gotten away with several things that were technically not permitted under NCAA rules, such as having 2 autobids per conference for much of the 1990s, a conference with only 4 teams having an autobid for the last few years. Neither of these would have been permitted if the NCAA paid any attention to our sport at all.

Unfortunately, the NCAA (specifically, the NCAA Division I Championships and Sports Management Cabinet) has noticed hockey again, and they might want to shorten the season.

The context for this:

April 2009: The NCAA Division I Board of Directors asked the NCAA Cabinets to "begin an immediate review of all operational aspects under their purview and to identify bylaws and practices that could possibly be modified to provide financial relief to the members."

September 2009: The NCAA Division I Championships and Sports Management Cabinet "engaged in a review of Bylaws 17 and 31 and identified areas for possible cost reduction. The cabinet directed NCAA staff to develop a document containing the identified concepts and agreed to take formal positions on the concepts at the cabinet’s February 2010 meeting."

October 2009: The NCAA staff mentioned above produced the requested report. It is linked here. Note item 2 from the top of page 2 of the PDF: "In men’s and women’s ice hockey, consider reducing the length of the season and number of contests."

Unfortunately, the hockey season is the longest season in the NCAA, and as a result is a target of opportunity when it comes time to cut costs. The full cabinet meets on February 16 & 17 to consider these recommendations. Hopefully the NCAA will decide that hockey is too minor a sport to notice, and will turn its attention elsewhere (such as their equally stupid recommendation "Review officials’ fees and do not rely too heavily on market value. There is inherent value in officiating NCAA championships.")
Working...
X