Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy A
    replied
    Re: Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    . . . and in addition to the CWS, they play a 55-game regular season schedule.
    How insane is that? Wow. How do the poor lads ever get any coursework done?

I also love the fact that only 2 school of the 30 or so on this commitee have hockey. How screwed up is that? That's like having all the Presidents and Prime Ministers of the all countries in the northern hemisphere deciding on how the US should run it's foreign policy programs the the US only gets 1 vote.

The ncaa should be disbanded and every sport should administer itself.

Leave a comment:

• bronconick
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    men's college hockey has one thing going for it that most of the other sports do not, the post season tourney makes money for the ncaa. almost all other post season tourneys lose money, and many rules are passed to try and control the bleeding. I think only mens BB, mens Baseball?, men's hockey, and maybe WB make money, everything else is a money pit.
    Why would the Frozen Four in April keep the NCAA from eliminating hockey in October?

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Men's lacrosse now makes money. too.
    Musta been that multi-OT game last spring, right?

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    men's college hockey has one thing going for it that most of the other sports do not, the post season tourney makes money for the ncaa. almost all other post season tourneys lose money, and many rules are passed to try and control the bleeding. I think only mens BB, mens Baseball?, men's hockey, and maybe WB make money, everything else is a money pit.
    Men's lacrosse now makes money. too. Women's basketball loses money.

Leave a comment:

• Happy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bigmrg74
    replied

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
    Hockey should start playing doubleheaders.
    That makes me tired just thinking about that.

Leave a comment:

• Farce Poobah
    replied

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    . . . and in addition to the CWS, they play a 55-game regular season schedule.
    Hockey should start playing doubleheaders.

Leave a comment:

• Red Cloud
    replied

Originally posted by streaker View Post
    No, your point was, as I interpreted it, certain anchor institutions have ignored/been disinterested in the warning signs of contraction, REGARDLESS of the cause, thus affecting the current 16 team NCAA tourney field.
    Yeah, no.

But thank you for trying to tell me what my point was.
    Last edited by Red Cloud; 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Puck Swami
    replied

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
    I agree with everything you said, except this point. The majority of sponsorship deals in college athletics is made on an individual basis between the school and the specific company (Nike, Adidas, UnderAmour, etc...). The vast majority of these contracts are also athletic department wide. Therefore, one maker supplies an entire athletic department. Having one sponsorship deal would create numerous legal issues in regards to the current sponsorship contracts in place with individual schools. I doubt the NCAA wants to open up this can of worms, which would remain in court for years to come.
    I am aware of this, and addressed a potential solution in post #47.

Existing athletic dept. contracts would be honored until they expire.

Leave a comment:

• wolverine318
    replied

-Consolidate a massive sponsorship deal for all 58 D-I schools from competing hockey equipment makers. For example, I bet Nike would love to supply all 58 NCAA d-I jerseys under one contract. It would save a lot of money and would probably make money for the NCAA and the schools.
    I agree with everything you said, except this point. The majority of sponsorship deals in college athletics is made on an individual basis between the school and the specific company (Nike, Adidas, UnderAmour, etc...). The vast majority of these contracts are also athletic department wide. Therefore, one maker supplies an entire athletic department. Having one sponsorship deal would create numerous legal issues in regards to the current sponsorship contracts in place with individual schools. I doubt the NCAA wants to open up this can of worms, which would remain in court for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Originally posted by Runninwiththedogs View Post
    Yeah, but see, things were different then. Those were 26-year-old Canadians.
    {sigh}

Actually there were a number of Americans on that team including several from Minnesota. Just off of the top of my head Woods, Sandbeck, Falcone, Roehl (Michigan) and Pazzelli come to mind.

Leave a comment:

• Runninwiththedogs
    replied

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    I just went back and looked at the 1977-78 DU schedule. DU played 36 regular season games with the first game being on October 28th and the last being on March 4th. They played every weekend except for one bye the weekend of December 9th and 10th. The team had off from Dec 18th through 26th with practice beginning on the 27th for games on the 29th and 30th. The WCHA playoffs started March 10-11 with the second and final round 3 days later on March 14-15. WCHA Playoffs were 8 teams with the top 4 hosting the first round and the second round was hosted by the two remaining hghest seeds. The two WCHA playoff winners advanced to the NCAA tourney that had 6 teams. The four lowest seeds played on March 18th and 19th with the two winners advancing to the semi-finals. The two top seeds got byes to the NCAA semi-finals that were held on March 23 and 24th. The finals and 3rd place game were played on March 25th. Essentially the entire season including playoffs was played in 5 months.
    Yeah, but see, things were different then. Those were 26-year-old Canadians.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by kdilks View Post

Excluding the two weeks in December that typically coincide with finals and Christmas (and will thus almost assuredly never have games), many teams only have one bye week.
    Michigan and the CCHA have less bye weeks because their conference tournament is longer...

Leave a comment:

• BoomGoestheDynamite
    replied

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    Don't most schools (the baseball powerhouses anyway) have an NCAA-sanctioned fall practice season also, similar to spring football?

If so, that's another difference between hockey (and other winter sports) and spring/fall sports.
    What I worry about is that the NCAA has already shown a willingness to cut or disadvantage the other sport that competes with a professional development system. If they don't care about LSU or Texas possibly losing players to AA ball, they certainly aren't going to pay much attention to North Dakota or BU losing players to the CHL.

Leave a comment:

• du78
    replied

Precisely.
    I just went back and looked at the 1977-78 DU schedule. DU played 36 regular season games with the first game being on October 28th and the last being on March 4th. They played every weekend except for one bye the weekend of December 9th and 10th. The team had off from Dec 18th through 26th with practice beginning on the 27th for games on the 29th and 30th. The WCHA playoffs started March 10-11 with the second and final round 3 days later on March 14-15. WCHA Playoffs were 8 teams with the top 4 hosting the first round and the second round was hosted by the two remaining hghest seeds. The two WCHA playoff winners advanced to the NCAA tourney that had 6 teams. The four lowest seeds played on March 18th and 19th with the two winners advancing to the semi-finals. The two top seeds got byes to the NCAA semi-finals that were held on March 23 and 24th. The finals and 3rd place game were played on March 25th. Essentially the entire season including playoffs was played in 5 months.
    Last edited by du78; 01-27-2010, 01:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X