Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

men's college hockey has one thing going for it that most of the other sports do not, the post season tourney makes money for the ncaa. almost all other post season tourneys lose money, and many rules are passed to try and control the bleeding. I think only mens BB, mens Baseball?, men's hockey, and maybe WB make money, everything else is a money pit.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      men's college hockey has one thing going for it that most of the other sports do not, the post season tourney makes money for the ncaa. almost all other post season tourneys lose money, and many rules are passed to try and control the bleeding. I think only mens BB, mens Baseball?, men's hockey, and maybe WB make money, everything else is a money pit.
      Men's lacrosse now makes money. too. Women's basketball loses money.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Men's lacrosse now makes money. too.
        Musta been that multi-OT game last spring, right?
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Why would the Frozen Four in April keep the NCAA from eliminating hockey in October?
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
            . . . and in addition to the CWS, they play a 55-game regular season schedule.
            How insane is that? Wow. How do the poor lads ever get any coursework done?

I also love the fact that only 2 school of the 30 or so on this commitee have hockey. How screwed up is that? That's like having all the Presidents and Prime Ministers of the all countries in the northern hemisphere deciding on how the US should run it's foreign policy programs the the US only gets 1 vote.

The ncaa should be disbanded and every sport should administer itself.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              How insane is that? Wow. How do the poor lads ever get any coursework done?
              Oh, that's no problem. Remember, it's baseball, so they have hours and hours of free time - during the games!
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Oh, that's no problem. Remember, it's baseball, so they have hours and hours of free time - during the games!
                Either that, or during the aforementioned "long bus rides" (either here or on another thread, can't remember which).

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine318 View Post
                  I agree with everything you said, except this point. The majority of sponsorship deals in college athletics is made on an individual basis between the school and the specific company (Nike, Adidas, UnderAmour, etc...). The vast majority of these contracts are also athletic department wide. Therefore, one maker supplies an entire athletic department. Having one sponsorship deal would create numerous legal issues in regards to the current sponsorship contracts in place with individual schools. I doubt the NCAA wants to open up this can of worms, which would remain in court for years to come.
                  NFL v. American Needle Inc.
                  Issue: Whether NFLP, the NFL, and the teams functioned as a “single entity” when granting the company an exclusive headwear license and therefore could not violate Section 1 of the Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. 1, which requires proof of collective action involving “separate entities.”

Basiclly, the NFL told teams that Reebok would be supplying all merch. to outlets, the NFL store etc. American Needle had a contract with a team, and was pushed out of its contract. The larger issue is, being a team in the NFL, does the league itself control your team as a single entity? If so, this contract is legal. But, if each team itself is single- it violates anti-trust laws.

I dont think the NCAA would want to violate anti-trust laws. Though the NCAA is the governing body, I dont not think any court would come close to saying the NCAA runs the Athletic Depts of every college/University.
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                    Yeah, no.

But thank you for trying to tell me what my point was.
                    So what part of this....

"It was the concern of intelligent people everywhere the moment Iona and Fairfield dropped their programs, followed of course by Findlay and Wayne State (but partially made up for by the accession of RMU).

The Michigans and Minnesotas of the world seemed to shrug their shoulders at those developments without considering the possibility of losing the 16-team tournament."

...didn't I understand correctly?

-the part where you slam anchor schools for their ignorance of D1 hockey being dropped by smaller revenue schools? (and I suggest that the governance of flailing programs is the NCAA's responsibility, not that of the "Michigan's or Minnesota's")

- the part where it may affect the contraction of the D1 hockey tourney?
                    (Once again, that is not up to the anchor school to decide, it's the NCAA's decision, even with the strong arm of the anchor school)

Tell me then genius, what I am I missing here, and what really WAS your point? You want large schools to subsidize the smaller schools? Schedule them more? Bring them into their leagues? Twist the arms of the NCAA's cabinet?

Comment

Is "anchor school" what a jock school calls itself?
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        Michigan and the CCHA have less bye weeks because their conference tournament is longer...
                        I'm aware, the "many" teams I was implicitly referring to were any CCHA team that got 2 bonus games for traveling to Alaska.

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                        Denver had 1 bye in November and 1 in January, they also did not play for 2 weekends in December. They played 4 weekends in October including a single exhbition game the first weekend. Dump the exhibition game and give them one weekend off at Christmas with a 10-day break. That is 4 less days than they got this year for Christmas break before returning to practice. They would be back on the ice with 2 to 3 days practice before New Year's weekend games. By doing this the season could be started the first weekend of November and still play the same amount of games.
                        Denver isn't every team. Try doing the same thing with Michigan's schedule. Starting in November this season would have resulted in 4 less games, even if you cut the exhibitions/cut the bye week/force students to play in the middle of exams.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                          So what part of this....

"It was the concern of intelligent people everywhere the moment Iona and Fairfield dropped their programs, followed of course by Findlay and Wayne State (but partially made up for by the accession of RMU).

The Michigans and Minnesotas of the world seemed to shrug their shoulders at those developments without considering the possibility of losing the 16-team tournament."

...didn't I understand correctly?

-the part where you slam anchor schools for their ignorance of D1 hockey being dropped by smaller revenue schools? (and I suggest that the governance of flailing programs is the NCAA's responsibility, not that of the "Michigan's or Minnesota's")

- the part where it may affect the contraction of the D1 hockey tourney?
                          (Once again, that is not up to the anchor school to decide, it's the NCAA's decision, even with the strong arm of the anchor school)

Tell me then genius, what I am I missing here, and what really WAS your point? You want large schools to subsidize the smaller schools? Schedule them more? Bring them into their leagues? Twist the arms of the NCAA's cabinet?
                          You are so far off the reservation that the continuation of this line of discussion is pointless. You don't get it, just move on.

I'm ignoring you. If you want to get into foolish name-calling and trying to decide for me what my point was over something silly, I'm not going to escalate it. Good day.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

You are so far off the reservation that the continuation of this line of discussion is pointless. You don't get it, just move on.

I'm ignoring you. If you want to get into foolish name-calling and trying to decide for me what my point was over something silly, I'm not going to escalate it. Good day.
                            No, it's simply because there is no line of reasoning. I called you out and you can't give any reasonable explanation. Good day, yourself. Sorry I can't think on your level. Must be that Big Ten edgumacation.

Comment

You specifically called out Michigan and Minnesota and blamed them for this possibility. So, I'm not sure anyone gets your point. Anyone here (besides Red Cloud cause he'll just call me a dumbass) want to explain to me what Red Cloud's point was? Cause I don't get it either.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                You specifically called out Michigan and Minnesota and blamed them for this possibility.
                                No, I didn't. You and streaker read "Michigan and Minnesota" and WANTED to believe that. Poor, poor persecuted you.

Grow up.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X