Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
    I can definitely see this happening.
    It was the concern of intelligent people everywhere the moment Iona and Fairfield dropped their programs, followed of course by Findlay and Wayne State (but partially made up for by the accession of RMU).

The Michigans and Minnesotas of the world seemed to shrug their shoulders at those developments without considering the possibility of losing the 16-team tournament.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
      They could probably make as much with two regionals, without the exception that allows us to have 28% of our teams in the tournament.
      They could probably make the most with 12 if they took the full gate from all tourney games and had the first round best of 3 at campus sites, like back in the day.

Was there an explicit exception granted that allowed us to stay at 16? I thought NCAA rules (20%?) mandated the tourney drop back to 12 with the smaller pool, and have been expecting it to happen the last couple years.

Then again, if ESPN ever gets their 96-team March Madness, that should nuke all the rules. (96/347 = .28)
      Last edited by Kepler; 01-27-2010, 08:50 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
        It was the concern of intelligent people everywhere the moment Iona and Fairfield dropped their programs, followed of course by Findlay and Wayne State (but partially made up for by the accession of RMU).

The Michigans and Minnesotas of the world seemed to shrug their shoulders at those developments without considering the possibility of losing the 16-team tournament.

The NCAA should be responsible for the health/expansion of the sport, not the individual programs, or their conferences.

That seems to be a contradictory statement considering how well we know the collective member institutions (NCAA) cherish hockey and muck up things with idiotic rules and red tape, but making conferences responsible for bringing in orphan programs is not economically feasible. They have enough to concern themselves with their own programs already.

(Anastos has already stated that, for instance, he is comfortable staying with an 11 team CCHA league next season and is evaluating methods to cut costs that the conference is responsible for... such as the 4th official, the shootout, etc. so economics seems to be a pretty big stick now.)

Comment

ACC Hockey!!! Clemson vs. Florida State. Can't wait to see that one!!!
          Talk about ugly uni's!!!
          sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            They could probably make the most with 12 if they took the full gate from all tourney games and had the first round best of 3 at campus sites, like back in the day.

Was there an explicit exception granted that allowed us to stay at 16? I thought NCAA rules (20%?) mandated the tourney drop back to 12 with the smaller pool, and have been expecting it to happen the last couple years.

Then again, if ESPN ever gets their 96-team March Madness, that should nuke all the rules. (96/347 = .28)
            They would have to fiddle with the brackets again, because they wouldn't want Bemidji and Ferris State hosting regionals while huge barns in Fargo and Madison sit empty.

Comment

They would have to fiddle with the brackets again, because they wouldn't want Bemidji and Ferris State hosting regionals while huge barns in Fargo and Madison sit empty.
              Fargo? What huge barn are you referring to in Fargo? The one where NDSU keeps all their sheep.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I dunno - Bemidji seats 2500. I bet some 4-team regionals have drawn less than that, and if you went from 4 4-team sites to 6 2-team sites, each site only would actually only have to draw 2/3 of what the old ones did to draw the same total number of fans.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

The NCAA hockey tourney makes money, unlike other NCAA tourneys, so I don't see them messing with that.

The bigger concern for the NCAA is they don't get why hockey needs such a long season and other sports don't need that long. They don't understand that unlike other NCAA sports, hockey has competition from Major Junior and needs a long season to stay competitive.

Here's what college hockey should do:

1) Keep the same number of games, but start in November instead of October. There are plenty of bye weeks in the current schdeule that can fill up so you don't lose the games. Most fans hate going two weeks without a game, and the player can easily play twice a week for five months instead of six.

2) Get rid of the Canadian exhibition games if you have to shorten schedules.

3) If you have to cut more costs:
                  - Cut the refs from 4 to 3. The fourth official won't be missed that much.
                  - Cut travel parties by 3 people per trip. You don't need all those assistants at every game. 20 players, two coaches, one trainer and one equipment person are all you really need on the road.
                  - Cut printed media guides at all schools - just put them online
                  -Consolidate a massive sponsorship deal for all 58 D-I schools from competing hockey equipment makers. For example, I bet Nike would love to supply all 58 NCAA d-I jerseys under one contract. It would save a lot of money and would probably make money for the NCAA and the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Farce Poobah View Post
                    For most of the WCHA, cutting games would mean cutting scholarships in non-revenue sports (since hockey pays a lot of the bills for athletics) and would exacerbate the problem of Title IX compliance.

If they want to improve the financial picture of their members, allow them to add a couple games without lengthening the season.

Oh, and I note that hockey - much more than say basketball - minimizes out-of-classroom time for these student-athletes, by playing games almost exclusively on Friday-Saturday nights. I suggest the NCAA measure "out of classroom time" rather than "length of season" as its primary yardstick of whether a sport is interfering with academics. (Take that ESPN.)
                    FB, Good post. I agree with you about the conscientious job done by hockey in scheduling [mostly] Friday and Saturday games to minimize time spent out of the classroom.

I agree with your point concerning sports other than hockey at [many] WCHA schools===> cutting the number of games played would have a "financial ripple effect" on other teams fielded by those schools and complicate the Title IX scenario for athletic departments.
                    sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The NCAA doesn't care about the empty seats. The facility pays the NCAA a flat fee to host the event, and then the ticket sales are kept by the facility.
                      I would guess that the fee the NCAA could charge would be greater with the potential for fewer empty seats.
                      Originally posted by WiscTJK
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I think most of us could have our bills covered by you saying stupid things.
                        Dirty's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandkids' bills are all paid already.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          - Cut the refs from 4 to 3. The fourth official won't be missed that much.
                          I agree. Make the linesmen what they used to be: Assistant Referees. They can police the action behind the play that the Referee might miss.
                          'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

If the NCAA wants to save $ across the board, they should mandate conferences be first and foremost geographically aligned in all sports. Why isn't Air Force in the WCHA? That's crazy. They can play Army n/c as many times as they want.

Cutting 4-6 hockey games will save how much for Ferris State or Northeastern? Do schools like this break even finacially on their hockey programs? The big WCHA schools will LOSE money. That help a lot.

If they need more $ in the coffers, increase the ncaa bb tourney to 128 teams. I know, oh, the poor student atheletes...

Isn't the ncaa Baseball season longer than hockey? Their tourney alone takes like 2 months. And all the Big 10 teams practically live down south in the cold spring to play. (Same goes for softball.) That season should start later and be shorter.

It's all a big game, in the end we have ZERO control, so what's the point of getting all wound up?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                              Fargo? What huge barn are you referring to in Fargo? The one where NDSU keeps all their sheep.
                              Grand Forks, sorry. You do have a pretty big building there...

The hockey tournament makes money for the NCAA because they have buildings bid and then make them responsible for ticket sales etc. If the format were changed and the NCAA needed ticket sales to generate revenue, then I can definitely see them screwing with the hosting duties. They could make it like Div I-AA football where you have to have so many seats to host a playoff game. 2500 seats wouldn't cut it when they can have UND host a series and easily have 4 times the revenue.

Right now, first round hosts would be Ferris State, UNH, St. Cloud and Bemidji, while UND goes on the road. If the NCAA wants to maximize revenue (and of course they would) then sending Bemidji to Grand Forks and Ferris to Duluth would make sense.

That probably won't happen because the NCAA would have two neutral-site regionals (like they did starting in 1992) rather than go back to the old best-of-three format on campus sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                -Consolidate a massive sponsorship deal for all 58 D-I schools from competing hockey equipment makers. For example, I bet Nike would love to supply all 58 NCAA d-I jerseys under one contract. It would save a lot of money and would probably make money for the NCAA and the schools.
                                I don't they'll save much on jerseys. And I highly doubt other equipment makers would like seeing schools they have contracts with having their teams decked out in Nike for example. BC has a new contract with UnderArmour. Notre Dame has Adidas. I think Wisconsin also had Adidas? Either way, this would create big problems. And the jerseys are still customized so you're probably not going to save on costs among a few other reasons why this isn't that helpful of an idea.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X