Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Look out, college hockey: The NCAA has noticed us again.

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
    The NCAA will demand that the Big Ten create a league to save NCAA Hockey.

It will also ask for the SEC and Pac 10 to become NCAA ready by 2015.

Conf- USA will join College Hockey in 2017, only to have the Big East lure its schools away for a super confrence.
    And then the video game!!!!!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The hockey season doesn't need to be any shorter and we don't need a universal starting date either. I thought I remember this coming up about 5-10 years ago. Next thing the NCAA will want to do is cut the number of scholarships.

Leave a sucessful thing alone.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Im not a fan of a shorter season. The hockey season is short enough already.
        Leave it to the NCAA to screw up a good thing though...
        A Badger living in Buckeye country.
        Originally posted by MadCityRich
        He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
        Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
        "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
          The hockey season doesn't need to be any shorter and we don't need a universal starting date either. I thought I remember this coming up about 5-10 years ago. Next thing the NCAA will want to do is cut the number of scholarships.

Leave a sucessful thing alone.
          The NCAA might also decide the 16-team tournament is too big and cut us back to 12.

Comment

Another reason to kick Merrimack out of hockey east. Every team in the league takes 3 games off the books to shorten the season.

Problem solved! You westerners will have to figure out a way to shorten it up out there (while whining about eastern bias of course.)
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
              The NCAA might also decide the 16-team tournament is too big and cut us back to 12.
              I can definitely see this happening.
              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

So wait, do they want fewer games, a shorter season in terms of calendar days, or both?

If it's only calendar days, then this might force leagues like the WCHA to move away from the two-game weekend series and play some sort of three-game per week series in order to fit the same number of games into a short period of time. It would likely reduce the number of conference games from two sets of two to a single set of three. that would lead to an unbalanced schedule, and not something most fans would want. People gripe enough around here about only playing certain teams for a single series once every few years as it is. This wouldn't help.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So, just how many games are they thinking about cutting?? 4 games? that would be 2 weeks off of a regular season. Not everybody is going to be happy with what that would do to the schedule, but it should be doable
                  bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk View Post
                    I can definitely see this happening.
                    Why would they cut it back to 12, they make a lot of money on it being 16 teams.
                    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                    Eric's Twitter
                    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Why would they cut it back to 12, they make a lot of money on it being 16 teams.
                      Travel, and look at the opening round. Lots of empty seats.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

For most of the WCHA, cutting games would mean cutting scholarships in non-revenue sports (since hockey pays a lot of the bills for athletics) and would exacerbate the problem of Title IX compliance.

If they want to improve the financial picture of their members, allow them to add a couple games without lengthening the season.

Oh, and I note that hockey - much more than say basketball - minimizes out-of-classroom time for these student-athletes, by playing games almost exclusively on Friday-Saturday nights. I suggest the NCAA measure "out of classroom time" rather than "length of season" as its primary yardstick of whether a sport is interfering with academics. (Take that ESPN.)

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                          Travel, and look at the opening round. Lots of empty seats.
                          The NCAA doesn't care about the empty seats. The facility pays the NCAA a flat fee to host the event, and then the ticket sales are kept by the facility.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            The NCAA doesn't care about the empty seats. The facility pays the NCAA a flat fee to host the event, and then the ticket sales are kept by the facility.
                            Oh yeah. My bad.

Comment

Flying some of the schools around to locations far away hurts them, and perhaps some of the regional locations are looking to jump out of the mix. Paying out to host a regional that no one goes to hurts just as bad.
                              R.I.P. NASC/MCLA Mohawks Hockey

Comment

They could probably make as much with two regionals, without the exception that allows us to have 28% of our teams in the tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X