WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Things are not looking good for UAA. If their first 2 choices for coach turn them down after getting offered, then I have to believe that the institutional support that those guys think they need to succeed is still not going to be there. If they thought they'd be supported properly they would have taken the job. It sucks, because it would be nice for the whole conference to not have the worst god**** team in the country to kill PWR.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      Things are not looking good for UAA. If their first 2 choices for coach turn them down after getting offered, then I have to believe that the institutional support that those guys think they need to succeed is still not going to be there. If they thought they'd be supported properly they would have taken the job. It sucks, because it would be nice for the whole conference to not have the worst god**** team in the country to kill PWR.
      So, a question for long-time fans, as I only started following hockey in 2011-2012 season:

Has there ever been a precedent where a team did not have a head coach going into a season, and just an interm assistant coach doing the job? I know the season's a long ways away, but have 2/3 of your candidates reject your offer, I've got to imagine the third could very well shoot it down too. Then what? Hope you find some other candidates?

Or could this really be the beginning of the end for UAA? I think I remember reading something last offseason about either the Board of Governers or something from the school proper that they 100% support hockey in Anchorage, but I'm not even a UAA fan and I'm clenching.
      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
        So, a question for long-time fans, as I only started following hockey in 2011-2012 season:

Has there ever been a precedent where a team did not have a head coach going into a season, and just an interm assistant coach doing the job? I know the season's a long ways away, but have 2/3 of your candidates reject your offer, I've got to imagine the third could very well shoot it down too. Then what? Hope you find some other candidates?

Or could this really be the beginning of the end for UAA? I think I remember reading something last offseason about either the Board of Governers or something from the school proper that they 100% support hockey in Anchorage, but I'm not even a UAA fan and I'm clenching.
        They'll find a coach, it is just looking like it won't be one of the guys they preferred. There is no way they go into next season without a coach, and at this point there doesn't seem to be any indication that they'll fold.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          They'll find a coach, it is just looking like it won't be one of the guys they preferred. There is no way they go into next season without a coach, and at this point there doesn't seem to be any indication that they'll fold.
          At worst they’ll call off the search and appoint an interim.

But yeah, they’ll find someone. It just won’t be someone they wanted originally.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post

They had to re-open their coaching search last time the job was open and come up with six new candidates after people in Anchorage didn't like any of the four finalists. I could see them re-opening the position again.

I wouldn't call this the beginning of the end. We're at least at the midway point.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Things are not looking good for UAA. If their first 2 choices for coach turn them down after getting offered...
              Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
              UAA has a job that needs a coach. Miami has a bunch of coaches that need jobs. Someone should put all these folks in a room and just get this deal done. UAA can sign co-head coaches and split the salary 50/50. When you're in UAA's position, you need to think creatively. Employing both as the head coach will also help drive down unemployment.
              Ryan
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                UAA has a job that needs a coach. Miami has a bunch of coaches that need jobs. Someone should put all these folks in a room and just get this deal done. UAA can sign co-head coaches and split the salary 50/50. When you're in UAA's position, you need to think creatively. Employing both as the head coach will also help drive down unemployment.
                Ryan
                Former Miami assistant Brent Brekke is a finalist for the Fairbanks job.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                  They had to re-open their coaching search last time the job was open and come up with six new candidates after people in Anchorage didn't like any of the four finalists. I could see them re-opening the position again.

I wouldn't call this the beginning of the end. We're at least at the midway point.
                  I actually forgot about this.
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    I actually forgot about this.
                    In the years since the fans & alumni rejected them, Gary Heenan & Chris Brown have a grand total of only one losing season between them. Mike Corbett has slowly and steadily built Alabama-Huntsville into a very competitive program after starting at ground zero.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      In the years since the fans & alumni rejected them, Gary Heenan & Chris Brown have a grand total of only one losing season between them. Mike Corbett has slowly and steadily built Alabama-Huntsville into a very competitive program after starting at ground zero.
                      At the time I though UAA made the right choice, thinking outside the box. Could Corbett or anybody have gotten thru our struggles better? That's worth a pitcher or two.

Two canidates said no, seemingly due to lack of support and or $$$. What exactly is going to change?
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
                      X