UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Would people stop blaming the coaches for lack of talent because of recruiting. Its not that they don't know who the good players are its they cant FORCE them to come here.
    I am sure they try to get the top level players but those players CHOOSE to go to the stacked schools BC/BU/MInn etc. This never changes and is the same in Football/Basketball
    and all other college sports.

"Winning will make those players want to come here" is the old standby. But look at Union who won the Title a few years ago and didn't get any bump in recruiting. Hell we beat them this
    year in their barn(half empty even thou smallest around mind you) I know I was there. If it wasn't for the banner you would never thought they had won a title.

This team has enough talent to win games, go to the NCAA's prob not but that first period Sat showed what they can do and its totally on them...ON THEM for falling apart right after
    BC tied the game at 1-1. I have seen teams pack it in down 2 or 3 before but not in a tie game in the second period. Kaufmann line aside as they played hard all night.

The freshman class has been ok but I have a hard time finding any upperclassman that you could say has stepped it up this year. We knew the Def was young and would struggle
    but our total lack of offense at times cant be blamed on that.
    New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
      Would people stop blaming the coaches for lack of talent because of recruiting. Its not that they don't know who the good players are its they cant FORCE them to come here.
      I am sure they try to get the top level players but those players CHOOSE to go to the stacked schools BC/BU/MInn etc. This never changes and is the same in Football/Basketball

"Winning will make those players want to come here" is the old standby. But look at Union who won the Title a few years ago and didn't get any bump in recruiting. Hell we beat them this
      year in their barn(half empty even thou smallest around mind you) I know I was there. If it wasn't for the banner you would never thought they had won a title.

This team has enough talent to win games, go to the NCAA's prob not but that first period Sat showed what they can do and its totally on them...ON THEM for falling apart right after
      BC tied the game at 1-1. I have seen teams pack it in down 2 or 3 before but not in a tie game in the second period. Kaufmann line aside as they played hard all night.

The freshman class has been ok but I have a hard time finding any upperclassman that you could say has stepped it up this year. We knew the Def was young and would struggle
      Your excuses are lamer than the ones you say all of us concerned fans are making! We are all aware that the elite go to elite schools and so is the coaches so is it not their job to find players that can grow or come in and handle the college game at the highest levels well enough? It IS THEIR JOB and they are not doing a good job at it! That 2009 team didn't have blue chippers but they had guys who grew into becoming good players and that includes having a kid who became a Hobey Baker finalist! You are being really defeatist in this mentality and that is sad!
      Winning does make people come to your school - you use other sports as an analogy and look at our basketball team - they've been winning for years and in case you haven't noticed they might have the best team they've had since the Coppenrath days! In hockey every team can realistically say it can win a national title because they are so few of them. If that is not the mentality at Vermont then they need to get out of the D1 hockey business. Union did it with TALENT that came together and developed as a TEAM that could beat ANYONE and DID. What UVM team in the last 5-6 years can you say has demonstrated all those qualities? And you're okay with the status quo over a team that won a national title in that same time period? COME ON!!

So yeah it is on the players for falling apart it is on the coaches for not getting players prepared and it is on the coaches for not bringing in players who can compete and finish games or develop the ones they do into that. If you are fine with another 15 years of maybe hoping you can get to the NCAAs in a sport that has 58 teams and you play in what is basically the SEC of hockey, fine must be nice not having to care that much some of us feel that after 15 years Sneddon has not delivered and a change needs to be made thank you for your service Sneddon but you've outstayed your welcome. You talk about half empty barns for a national championship team...how about talking about how UVM saw a wait list of nearly 10 years for tickets evaporate and having to ttry and sell season ticket packages on TV 2 weeks before the season started because they've lost so many loyal fans!! Why do you think that is? Because most people don't share your opinions! Most people are sick of these average seasons when they finish 6th place or worse every year!

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy2 View Post
        Your excuses are lamer than the ones you say all of us concerned fans are making! We are all aware that the elite go to elite schools and so is the coaches so is it not their job to find players that can grow or come in and handle the college game at the highest levels well enough? It IS THEIR JOB and they are not doing a good job at it! That 2009 team didn't have blue chippers but they had guys who grew into becoming good players and that includes having a kid who became a Hobey Baker finalist! You are being really defeatist in this mentality and that is sad!
        Winning does make people come to your school - you use other sports as an analogy and look at our basketball team - they've been winning for years and in case you haven't noticed they might have the best team they've had since the Coppenrath days! In hockey every team can realistically say it can win a national title because they are so few of them. If that is not the mentality at Vermont then they need to get out of the D1 hockey business. Union did it with TALENT that came together and developed as a TEAM that could beat ANYONE and DID. What UVM team in the last 5-6 years can you say has demonstrated all those qualities? And you're okay with the status quo over a team that won a national title in that same time period? COME ON!!

So yeah it is on the players for falling apart it is on the coaches for not getting players prepared and it is on the coaches for not bringing in players who can compete and finish games or develop the ones they do into that. If you are fine with another 15 years of maybe hoping you can get to the NCAAs in a sport that has 58 teams and you play in what is basically the SEC of hockey, fine must be nice not having to care that much some of us feel that after 15 years Sneddon has not delivered and a change needs to be made thank you for your service Sneddon but you've outstayed your welcome. You talk about half empty barns for a national championship team...how about talking about how UVM saw a wait list of nearly 10 years for tickets evaporate and having to ttry and sell season ticket packages on TV 2 weeks before the season started because they've lost so many loyal fans!! Why do you think that is? Because most people don't share your opinions! Most people are sick of these average seasons when they finish 6th place or worse every year!
        Tired of finishing 6th place every year??? With a few exceptions that's has been the case for this team since joining D1. Its not new to Sneddon's teams.

I love what is happening to the BBall team right now but winning the America East is much easier than winning Hockey East, Sneddon needs NHL draft picks to win and Becker can do it without having to
        steal players that Duke/Kentucky want.

Comment

Tired of finishing 6th place every year??? With a few exceptions that's has been the case for this team since joining D1. Its not new to Sneddon's teams.

I love what is happening to the BBall team right now but winning the America East is much easier than winning Hockey East, Sneddon needs NHL draft picks to win and Becker can do it without having to
          So we're just supposed to be okay with our lot huh? Youre hilarious and so are your excuses! Sneddon had exactly 3 NHL picks for his Frozen Four team (the NHL talent argument is hilarious Lowell's run didn't have tons of picks either stop using it aas an excuse becase it isnt!), the other two you probably can't even remember because they ended up being pedestrian players had built a core roster with a team that had talent on both ends of the ice and grew to become EXPERIENCED, finished in the top 4 won 15 league games, and the year before that finished 3rd and reached the HEA finals, So I'm the insane one for even thinking we can get back to that level and should be? GET OUT OF HERE!

You proved my point - Becker gets it done with guys he is able to find and mold into great players! What has Sneddon done in that department lately? nothing!! telling me there isnt a coach out there that could do better with this group or bring in a better winning culture? i think youd be dead wrong! enjoy loving mediocray thougyh!!

Comment

Say good bye to the 2x10s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ3TiNDSHlg

Comment

Providence was in the doldrums and then brought in Lehman. UML was mediocre and then brought in Bazin. These guys do not have the NHLers that BC and BU have but have built programs by identifying talent and DEVELOPING it which then leads to more NHLers coming. That is what a coach does and that is not what is happening at UVM. We can be better and while Sneddon has done an OK job he has not excelled. Sometimes a change is needed for the sake of change. Farrell and Giardi (spelling?) made the post season but both got canned. Other college hockey programs have moved on much sooner than UVM on similar records. It's time we raise expectations a wee bit.

Comment

How does lowell win?
                Union won.
                How does Quinnipiac win?
                This problem is recruiting and coaching.

Comment

Union had one Draft pick..Yale had one. In years past before the Wallack recruiting fade...we had more

Comment

Last year at this point the Cats were 7-3-1 and all those who cried for the staffs head after the hazing disappeared. 12 months later they are acting like we have had
                    multiple 20 loss seasons in a row. I think a lot of people here (as well as some behind where I sit at games) get more fun out of complaining than winning.

The #1 thing keeping Vermont from moving to the next level is the facilities. Not everyone will agree and we will have to wait several years after it gets done to see any
                    proof but that's my belief. UVM doesn't fire coaches very often in any sport and I don't see that happening here just because a team loaded with young players started slow.

And I believe that UVM will stick with Sneddon at least for a few years after the improvements before moving on unless the team drops below .500 for back to back years.

Comment

Originally posted by catmandoo View Post
                      How does lowell win?
                      Union won.
                      How does Quinnipiac win?
                      This problem is recruiting and coaching.
                      Well Quin got a nice new rink and UML has a minor league quality rink.

Also those teams are 16-17-1 this year by the way.

Comment

Last year at this point the Cats were 7-3-1 and all those who cried for the staffs head after the hazing disappeared. 12 months later they are acting like we have had
                        multiple 20 loss seasons in a row. I think a lot of people here (as well as some behind where I sit at games) get more fun out of complaining than winning.

The #1 thing keeping Vermont from moving to the next level is the facilities. Not everyone will agree and we will have to wait several years after it gets done to see any
                        proof but that's my belief. UVM doesn't fire coaches very often in any sport and I don't see that happening here just because a team loaded with young players started slow.

And I believe that UVM will stick with Sneddon at least for a few years after the improvements before moving on unless the team drops below .500 for back to back years.
                        I can say it is long overdue and needed but at least improve the bathrooms for now. It takes forever to go to the bathroom because there is only one place available and it's not that big.

The one that is underneath the stands is now just for the handicapped.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by j24vt View Post
                          I kinda hope they keep them in the student section. No one sits there anyway.
                          https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                          https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                          NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                          Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

• Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                            Providence was in the doldrums and then brought in Lehman. UML was mediocre and then brought in Bazin. These guys do not have the NHLers that BC and BU have but have built programs by identifying talent and DEVELOPING it which then leads to more NHLers coming. That is what a coach does and that is not what is happening at UVM. We can be better and while Sneddon has done an OK job he has not excelled. Sometimes a change is needed for the sake of change. Farrell and Giardi (spelling?) made the post season but both got canned. Other college hockey programs have moved on much sooner than UVM on similar records. It's time we raise expectations a wee bit.
                            Union moved on much sooner. They gave Sneddon enough time to develop his recruits; he failed. Nothing has changed and he needs to go. And please don’t try the “Sneddon left voluntarily” story.

Comment

Well Quin got a nice new rink and UML has a minor league quality rink.

Also those teams are 16-17-1 this year by the way.
                              A massive difference in strength of schedule to start the year for both those schools too. Give it a few weeks you will see. Good coaches win consistently in any facility with the talent they have.

Comment

UVM game is on NESN tonight

Comment

Working...
                                X