X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pokecheckguy2
    replied
    Re: UVM 2017/18: A Gutt Check

Sneddon been that way off ice forever not sorry to bring it up but its been well known for years as far as Im concerned gloves off! Might as well know the true man here since he probably is going to be here until he decides to retire hes in a race with Gaudet at Dartmouth to see who can be the crappiest coach that continually keeps his job!
    Still trying to wrack my brain around the whole thing because like others say they knew they had a new deal but why not say anything after what was consdered to be a good season to buy the good faith? it smells of bad stuff when you have to say 'oh we had this done a long time ago' when the AD getting real heat from the fans for what is already a goner of a season! Typical UVM is right!
    Lost a 35+ year hockey supporter last night for good! more will follow because they just proved that they don't care well i wont either
    EMPTY THE GUTT!
    FIRE SNEDDON!
    FIRE SCHULMAN!

Leave a comment:

• TovarishchLisa
    replied

As if this wasn't enough bad news, Ryan Gunderson (UVM alumnus & US Olympic team member) broke his finger and might not be back in time for PyeongChang.

Leave a comment:

• Catamount93
    replied

This move is "so UVM" -----

Thanks, that is a much more succinct way of saying what I was trying to say....exactly how I feel. A school like Uconn, or BU, or BC would NEVER make a move like this. You are either dedicated to athletic success or you aren't. This move shows we aren't.

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
    I fundamentally don't understand....or, more accurately, I do understand and don't like it.

As I've said many, many times, he's not a bad coach. I think he's done a lot for the program and he's had some success, and I appreciate his efforts. But the results have been inconsistent, the style of play is frustrating and not very exciting, and the current trend on wins/losses is decidedly negative. And as been often mentioned, players just don't seem to get better. Under his stewardship our program has a losing record. Basketball has had great success and I love what they've done, but along with skiing the hockey program is the ONE sport where we truly have the opportunity to be competitive on a national stage on a consistent basis. Giving Sneddon a new contract right now is accepting of the fact that what he's done is as good as we can expect to be, which I feel is a massive disservice to the university, it's students and all of us alums.

To me, this is an example of UVM deciding to be an average D1 hockey school instead of trying to be as good as we can be. I've always been frustrated at UVM that we seem to be unwilling to fire coaches who don't perform, instead generally waiting for contracts to expire. I get it, it's a financial thing. But his contract is (was) up. If you aren't going to go a different direction at the end of a contract with a coach who has a lifetime losing record and who's team is dramatically under performing versus expectations...when are you going to make a change?? It saddens me that we can't aspire to do better than this in our marquis sport.

Finally, I'd ask folks to avoid commentary on his personal life. In my opinion that is irrelevant and not cool.

Personally I will always support the Cats, and I really hope Coach Sneddon can right the ship and get us where we all want to be. But his track record is now quite long and strongly suggests that won't happen. I think this new contract is a huge mistake and a step backwards for the program at this time.

Go Cats.
    Very well said. This pretty closely sums up how I feel right now. I fear the hockey program is going to continue sinking into oblivion. Coaching and play on the ice aside, I was greatly disappointed when they decided to refurbish The Gut. While it will represent a temporary improvement, why does the basketball program get a beautiful NEW facility, while hockey basically gets The Gut 3.0? In another 20 years when the fresh paint has worn off, we'll be right back in the same spot again.

While I admire your ability to still say "Go Cats", I'm not there right now and am not sure I ever will be again. This one's gonna leave a mark and is a slap in the face to anyone who cares about UVM hockey. This move is "so UVM" and that is hugely disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• UVM Cat in Texas
    replied

Originally posted by Charlie Catamount View Post
    To say the timing of this news is disappointing is an understatement. As the article points out, if this was agreed upon in the summer why was it kept such a secret? Surely there would have not been such backlash as they are facing now had this been known back in June.
    I'm guessing their plan was to announce it when the deal was finalized, likely this spring/summer after the season was over. Now, however, with the season being a huge disappointment and fans actively calling for Sneddon's head (as Ted Ryan even acknowledged in his article), they probably felt they needed come out with it now to quell the uprising.

Leave a comment:

• Catamount93
    replied

Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
    Division 1 coaches are expected to be brand ambassadors on and off the playing field. That’s part of why they’re compensated so well. Like it or not, Sneddon’s behavior in public is open to scrutinization because he represents the school. Extending this guy’s contract is absolutely baffling.
    Understand your perspective and respect your opinion, but I disagree. What I'm hearing is nothing that has been reported publicly or has harmed the program in any broad sense that I'm aware of....in fact this is the first I've ever hear of any of this.

At any rate, he shouldn't have been renewed based on his results....I've yet to hear any real fan argue otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• VTALUM
    replied

Division 1 coaches are expected to be brand ambassadors on and off the playing field. That’s part of why they’re compensated so well. Like it or not, Sneddon’s behavior in public is open to scrutinization because he represents the school. Extending this guy’s contract is absolutely baffling.

Leave a comment:

• Catamount93
    replied

I fundamentally don't understand....or, more accurately, I do understand and don't like it.

As I've said many, many times, he's not a bad coach. I think he's done a lot for the program and he's had some success, and I appreciate his efforts. But the results have been inconsistent, the style of play is frustrating and not very exciting, and the current trend on wins/losses is decidedly negative. And as been often mentioned, players just don't seem to get better. Under his stewardship our program has a losing record. Basketball has had great success and I love what they've done, but along with skiing the hockey program is the ONE sport where we truly have the opportunity to be competitive on a national stage on a consistent basis. Giving Sneddon a new contract right now is accepting of the fact that what he's done is as good as we can expect to be, which I feel is a massive disservice to the university, it's students and all of us alums.

To me, this is an example of UVM deciding to be an average D1 hockey school instead of trying to be as good as we can be. I've always been frustrated at UVM that we seem to be unwilling to fire coaches who don't perform, instead generally waiting for contracts to expire. I get it, it's a financial thing. But his contract is (was) up. If you aren't going to go a different direction at the end of a contract with a coach who has a lifetime losing record and who's team is dramatically under performing versus expectations...when are you going to make a change?? It saddens me that we can't aspire to do better than this in our marquis sport.

Finally, I'd ask folks to avoid commentary on his personal life. In my opinion that is irrelevant and not cool.

Personally I will always support the Cats, and I really hope Coach Sneddon can right the ship and get us where we all want to be. But his track record is now quite long and strongly suggests that won't happen. I think this new contract is a huge mistake and a step backwards for the program at this time.

Go Cats.

Leave a comment:

• Charlie Catamount
    replied

To say the timing of this news is disappointing is an understatement. As the article points out, if this was agreed upon in the summer why was it kept such a secret? Surely there would have not been such backlash as they are facing now had this been known back in June. I cannot say I'm surprised at all by this. Maintaining the status quo and putting minimal effort into retaining and finding strong coaching has long been something UVM has not been good at, nor do they want to be. There is a lot of what you'd call an old boy network I find at UVM. Administrators, coaches, and donors who were ex-players in the 70s and 80s who are all drinking buddies at Vermont National.

I've always tried to keep my critiques of Sneddon to his on-ice coaching abilities, but I can't deny also hearing rumors of his antics. I was told earlier this year that his ex-wife lists her status on Facebook as a "widow." What people do in their own time is none of my concern, but I certainly don't like hearing rumors of coaches acting that way while representing the school. It just seems like Sneddon can do no wrong in the eyes of the decision makers, and it's very puzzling to me that there seems to be no levels of concern regarding his leadership of the program or concern for consistent winning and effort. I'd hoped for more but I suppose when you have the top administrator as a UVM lifer who knows no other way, it leads to a very narrow prospective.

This isn't the hockey season I was expecting that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• QUAlum2004
    replied

I honestly thought this job would open up this year. Sneddon must have pictures on someone as in no way should he ever earn an extension with how his team has played the past few years.

Leave a comment:

• VTALUM
    replied

Honestly, Sneddon has been long known to be a philandering alcoholic. Anyone who has seen him out after hours knows what a sleazebag he is in his personal life. The players pick up on that, and don’t respect him. These kids are trying to be pros. Maybe Schulman is the same as Sneddon, who knows. It’s really a shame.

Leave a comment:

• VTALUM
    replied
    Originally posted by VTALUM View Post
    Had to check the calendar...nope, it’s not April 1st. Wow. I’ve compeltely lost interest in this program. What a joke.
    Completely*

Leave a comment:

• pokecheckguy2
    replied

Originally posted by jfromvt
    Probably shouldn't post this, but saw him totally blotto at one of the waterfront watering holes this summer. He was probably out celebrating his handshake deal with Schulman!

I'm sure this got leaked intentionally as Schulman must know there are a lot of dissatisfied fans and didn't want Sneddon left out to dry. My biggest problem with him is he seems to recruit fairly well, but the players generally do not get better over time, in fact many regress.

But also historically, it seems every 10 years we get a great player or group (O'Connell, Boyce, St. Louis, Stalberg), have a top ten team, get everyone's hopes up, then go back to average. I thought Colton might be that guy, but something is missing with this team. And rumors are he doesn't like the Coach, so would be surprised if he returns next year.
    sadly not the first time he's been seen like that out in public - many times its with his new girlfriend who lets just say he met at work while in a marriage. thats his business but while we are talking out of school..

Im so mad at this I cant sleep 22 years of going to games as a season ticket holder ive seen a lot of hockey! some great hockey and some awful hockey and i stand by everything ive said about what i think UVM could be and thats a national title contender because in college hockey its possible and UVM admins should feel that way too because its a sport they can actually win a title in no offense to the basketball team but them getting to NCAAs is wonderful and most people know they cant win it all but hockey - this is the life bloods of the school the big time sport that is supposed to leave a NATIONAL mark!
    Now what do I get? a crappy team and coach who needs to go but a AD who backs his buddy and was sneaky about his contract status but sends message to all the fans who are finally fed up with the garbage performances we see every weekend that he doesnt care about the results just cares about taking care of his pal and 10 plaace finishes are just fine at UVM. what a total loss of respect from me!
    Im done with this team, threw my ticket packets in the trash and won't renew. i remember a time when doing that would be a big sin! now i could walk up to any game i wanted and get a ticket and that is a shame - no more pride in this team or people caring and it only gonna get worse. I too predict Colton leaves plus the annual right of summer which is that 5 others will join him and well hear about all these dominating new recruits who will just get jumbled around in lines same bad hockey! Im done but its so hard to say that because this has been such major part of my life for so many years but i've had enough!! other fans should too!
    FIRE SCHULMAN FIRE SNEDDON! Not letting up on that ever until its done!!

Leave a comment:

• VTALUM
    replied
    Had to check the calendar...nope, it’s not April 1st. Wow. I’ve compeltely lost interest in this program. What a joke.

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    Sneddon gets a new 3 year deal through 2019-20....

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ct/1005800001/

Leave a comment:

• TovarishchLisa
    replied

In Ryan's piece Schulman said we were the last team out of the NCAA tournament last season. Which is factually inaccurate, BC was last, the WCHA was going to get the last slot due to the autobid. And BC absolutely obliterated us in the playoffs.

C'mon, if you're going to make a move the fans are going to **** on you for, at least get the facts right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X