2018 Frozen Four Ticket purchase thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Frozen Four Ticket purchase thread

The amount of available tickets for priority 5 worries me.

My friend with higher priority can't go, but bought tickets for me. I originally planned to still purchase under my priority, to get another point, and then resell those seats. At this point, that doesn't seem wise. I figured St. Paul would be a good re-sale market.

Also, another reminder to those purchasing, that if you like a physical ticket, be sure to select delivery method, as "flash tickets" is the default.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

How does one scalp a flash?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        How does one scalp a flash?
        You can hand over a flash ticket digitally. There are directions for that. After all, if you buy four tickets, you may need to have three other people assigned to them if you don't all plan to arrive at the same time.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          You can hand over a flash ticket digitally. There are directions for that. After all, if you buy four tickets, you may need to have three other people assigned to them if you don't all plan to arrive at the same time.
          Should the flash tickets immediately show up in your account? I ordered my tickets today, but am not seeing them when I log into flash tickets.

Comment

Has anyone else had trouble purchasing tickets? I am a priority 5 and I keep getting an error that "The offer is currently restricted."
            Clarkson Golden Knights Men
            10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
            5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
            21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
            ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
            ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
            12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
            National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
              Should the flash tickets immediately show up in your account? I ordered my tickets today, but am not seeing them when I log into flash tickets.
              I wonder if flash tickets won't be "delivered" till March like the paper tickets.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Flash Tickets don't show up on your account until the day before the event. Your account will include a credit card or driver's license number that you must provide when you enter. As far as ticket availability goes, I've been to several Frozen Fours lately and have found that there are always tickets available on the street for face value before the start of the event. This was true even when the FF was held in Boston with three local teams making the tournament. My friend wound up with better seats than I did that year for both the semi-finals and the final. If my memory serves me right, the NCAA will not replace paper tickets so there is little chance that someone can cancel the original ones and replace them with new ones like they can at other events.
                For what it's worth, I preferred separate admission for the two semi-final (Thursday) games with a few hours in between to leave the venue for a bite to eat instead of being held captive to the arena's offerings, although they've improved slightly. The start times at 2 and 7:30 were preferable to 5 and 9 for me, but I guess TV ratings are more important.
                Last edited by terrier1976; 10-26-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by terrier1976 View Post
                  If my memory serves me right, the NCAA will not replace paper tickets so there is little chance that someone can cancel the original ones and replace them with new ones like they can at other events.
                  If you buy tickets through StubHub or any other second hand legal market, they will void out the original ticket. So yeah, you could end up buying an invalid ticket off the street.

For what it's worth, I preferred separate admission for the two semi-final (Thursday) games with a few hours in between to leave the venue for a bite to eat instead of being held captive to the arena's offerings, although they've improved slightly. The start times at 2 and 7:30 were preferable to 5 and 9 for me, but I guess TV ratings are more important.
                  That's ancient history...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

If my memory serves me right, the NCAA will not replace paper tickets so there is little chance that someone can cancel the original ones and replace them with new ones like they can at other events.
                    In this case, memory doesn't serve.

At Boston in 2015, a member of my party accidently brought his Championship Game ticket to the Thursday Semi-Finals. Retrieving the proper ticket was not an option. We were able to go to a box office/customer service area and have his Thursday ticket replaced. My driver's license, along with the credit card I used to make the original purchase, were vitally important. As was my personal presence. Had my buddy arrived separately, it may have been a problem without a solution. But as it was, it was a routine procedure.

I don't recall if there was a processing fee. If there was, my buddy paid it.

I can't promise that every host arena would be so accommodating. But my thought is that even if this service isn't universal, it is routinely offered.

Don't mean to pile on. I definitely appreciate the info you provided on the Flash Seats. But I had to set the record straight on the replacement paper tickets. And when you combine my point with the one Russell J. made, you see there's a real issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      The amount of available tickets for priority 5 worries me.
                      Me too. And we're right to be concerned. If not shocked.

My friend with higher priority can't go, but bought tickets for me. I originally planned to still purchase under my priority, to get another point, and then resell those seats. At this point, that doesn't seem wise. I figured St. Paul would be a good re-sale market.
                      If the Gophers qualify, it still will be. If UND makes it, maybe. Otherwise getting caught with extra tickets will be a difficult, undesirable situation.

Frozen Four tickets have been a poor investment vehicle for a number of years. But the fact that St. Paul is no longer an exception to the general rule is still a little stunning.

As for earning the priority point, I suppose you could purchase the cheapest possible single seat. If MN or UND qualify, you'd get your money back. If not, you'd have a priority point and an expensive bookmark. Only you can decide if that's a good value.

Also, another reminder to those purchasing, that if you like a physical ticket, be sure to select delivery method, as "flash tickets" is the default.
                      Good Reminder.

Comment

Good catch, Russell. I confess I'm old school, never used StubHub so that didn't occur to me.
                        pgb, I guess Murphy's law will always be a factor. Losing or forgetting a smart phone or credit card could also happen with Flash Seats. Glad your story had a happy ending.

Comment

...pgb, I guess Murphy's law will always be a factor. Losing or forgetting a smart phone or credit card could also happen with Flash Seats. Glad your story had a happy ending.
                          Correct. And even if you don't lose a credit card, what if you get a replacement card with a new expiration date? Will the card still work? I'm guessing there's simple but necessary update procedure. No problem if you take care of the update in advance, but a bit of a nuisance if you have to do it on your way into the arena.

Balancing all of the competing interests -- convenience, security, and so on -- really is pretty complicated.
                          Last edited by pgb-ohio; 10-27-2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Nothing to do with buying, but the NCAA committee report

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20170825.pdf

Note the ESPN comments.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Nothing to do with buying, but the NCAA committee report

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20170825.pdf

Note the ESPN comments.
                              Lots of interesting stuff, though the new things appear to be mostly in the brainstorming stage.

One of the brainstorms is changing the Frozen Four to a Saturday/Monday Format. It's not hard to see why ESPN would want to do that; ratings for the first semi-final would almost certainly improve. But if that occurred, my days of personally attending the event would likely be on indefinite hold.

I'm sure those promoting the change would argue that it's a 4 day weekend either way, so there's no difference. But for me, getting away for Thursday/Friday is usually doable, while it's a lot harder to be away for a Monday/Tuesday combination. I'm guessing I'm not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Correct. And even if you don't lose a credit card, what if you get a replacement card with a new expiration date? Will the card still work? I'm guessing there's simple but necessary update procedure. No problem if you take care of the update in advance, but a bit of a nuisance if you have to do it on your way into the arena.

Balancing all of the competing interests -- convenience, security, and so on -- really is pretty complicated.
                                You do have to update your credit card info on the flash website if you get a replacement card or want to use a different credit card when entering the game. You can also add a drivers license to you account through the flash website it you want to use that instead when entering the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X