X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
    This says 5'7"...

I'm not saying anything as he has seemed on the smaller side everytime that I stood next to him, but I'm 6'1" which is not huge but still.
    Ok, my memory was wrong. Shawn Hunwick was listed at 5'7". Interesting, that's the same height my husband claimed on his online dating profile. Either way, I'm 5'5" and I think I'm the same height or possibly taller than both Hunwick and my hubby.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Tough pill to swallow but can't blame the refs (although Aaron is a wolverine scourge) for poor defensive coverage first shift into OT. Sit and wait now, hoping to sat at #10 in the PWR. A #2 seed band would have been better, but at least we'll be in.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
        Tough pill to swallow but can't blame the refs (although Aaron is a wolverine scourge) for poor defensive coverage first shift into OT. Sit and wait now, hoping to sat at #10 in the PWR. A #2 seed band would have been better, but at least we'll be in.
        Very tough.

But getting in at that point is combination of the pessimist of where we were supposed to finish in the B1G, and the optimist of those who heard Mel's pre-season talks. All in all, it's still progress, no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Outstanding game last night from both teams. Good Luck to your team in the tournament.

Comment

I hope the Michigan fans didn't have any bad experiences not counting the loss. It was pretty exciting as it could have been anybody's game right up to the end and I enjoyed getting to meet WT, a very nice person!
            My only question is what if the brackets are such we play each other again in the NCAA Tournament? That could be one intense game!
            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-11-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
              (although Aaron is a wolverine scourge)
              Really? I thought he hated OUR guts! That's what it seemed like over the years. Buckeye fans should count themselves lucky that Wilkins & Sheegos are no longer on the ice, we felt they always threw the games against us.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                Really? I thought he hated OUR guts! That's what it seemed like over the years. Buckeye fans should count themselves lucky that Wilkins & Sheegos are no longer on the ice, we felt they always threw the games against us.
                We want Sheegos! *clap clap, clapclapclap* Wilkins on the other hand was horrible.

It was nice meeting you Hockeybuckeye, and thanks for the beer.

I had fun at the game Saturday, despite the loss. Strong and loud showing from the Children of Yost.

For the stat/trivia nerds out there, have we ever been swept during a season by OSU (maybe in the CCHA days when we may have only played twice)? 0-5 hurts, but pushing it to OT this time showed improvement. Also, we continue to play strong 5 on 5 hockey. Both OSU's regulation goals were scored on the Power Play.

Overtime and the last few minutes of a game if the opponent pulls their goalie continue to scare me. We're 1-3-3 in overtime (I'm not counting shootout win/loss). 6 of those OTs were the 5 minute variety, and the one that wasn't we lost it in the first minute.

Still, 20 wins, finishing top half of the conference, and a likely 3 seed for the tournament (playing with the pairwise predictor, a 2 seed is still possible), sounds like a solid season for Mel's first year as our head coach. Looking forward to game(s) in a couple weeks. Go Blue!
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G
                7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                  We want Sheegos! *clap clap, clapclapclap* Wilkins on the other hand was horrible.

It was nice meeting you Hockeybuckeye, and thanks for the beer.

I had fun at the game Saturday, despite the loss. Strong and loud showing from the Children of Yost.

For the stat/trivia nerds out there, have we ever been swept during a season by OSU (maybe in the CCHA days when we may have only played twice)? 0-5 hurts, but pushing it to OT this time showed improvement. Also, we continue to play strong 5 on 5 hockey. Both OSU's regulation goals were scored on the Power Play.

Overtime and the last few minutes of a game if the opponent pulls their goalie continue to scare me. We're 1-3-3 in overtime (I'm not counting shootout win/loss). 6 of those OTs were the 5 minute variety, and the one that wasn't we lost it in the first minute.

Still, 20 wins, finishing top half of the conference, and a likely 3 seed for the tournament (playing with the pairwise predictor, a 2 seed is still possible), sounds like a solid season for Mel's first year as our head coach. Looking forward to game(s) in a couple weeks. Go Blue!
                  Ohio state swept 4 games in 85/86

Comment

It was nice meeting you too WT and you're quite welcome for the beer. Wish we could have had more time to chat but I'm sure we'll meet again on occasion.
                    That second goal of Marody's was just sick and it makes you respect the young man's skills.
                    Anyway I try to treat most opponents fans the way I want to be treated with the possible exception the Miami fans. They've become insufferable!
                    After they blew their National Championship in the last minute of that game the next season when we hosted them we had two OSU students wearing BU jerseys rubbing their chests against the glass in front of the Miami players all during the game - too funny!

Comment

Originally posted by klbaum1077 View Post
                      Ohio state swept 4 games in 85/86
                      Even a 5 season sweep still doesn't counter the red headed stepchild beating Michigan gave us in our first season of 21-0 back in 1963! I don't know if it's an NCAA record but it seems like it would be.
                      We were one season out of being a club team, Michigan was loaded with NHL draft picks and were favored to win the National Championship and they did.
                      It was not just a can of whoop a*s they opened up on us, it was a 55 gallon drum!

Comment

21-0 back in 1963!
                        What? 21-0. No, that couldn't have happened. Seriously?

Oh my God, it's true! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Wow. February 8, 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963%E..._hockey_season
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

What? 21-0. No, that couldn't have happened. Seriously?

Oh my God, it's true! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Wow. February 8, 1964.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1963%E..._hockey_season
                          Several of my friends played in that infamous game for Ohio State.
                          Yesterday one of them & I were talking about how long and hard it was for our team to earn respect in the college hockey world. I should have known better but I mentioned that it didn't help at the beginning of the program you letting Michigan kicking our butts 21-0. He told me to read his lips! LOL! Such language!

Comment

When I said 1963 I didn't mean actually in 1963, I meant the 1963-64 season.

Comment

When I said 1963 I didn't mean actually in 1963, I meant the 1963-64 season.
                              No offense but you sound like a Trump supporter. He didn't say that but if he did he didn't mean it.
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I've heard absolutely nothing about Marody but my unqualified opinion is that he might be a flight risk. I know that this means pretty much nothing but have you ever noticed that he seems somewhat distant from the rest of the team? For example during the National Anthem Cooper is next to the West boards 5 feet away from any other teammate. He never makes eye contact with anyone, he just rocks back and forth (left foot, right foot, repeat). Hockey players are weird, I know this. But are they really that eccentric? I AM NOT SAYING THAT COOPER WILL LEAVE THIS SUMMER, but it wouldn't shock me. He really isn't big enough to play in the NHL but he's not super-small like Hensick or Tambellini either but if there are team chemistry issues you never know. He is a lifelong Michigan fan though. The fact that he doesn't have a letter this year may annoy him especially when Slaker and Luce (both Sophomores) do. Does anyone have any insight on this?
                                Let's revisit this now. Cooper was first team all Big. Cooper was the scoring champion. If (that's a big IF) Michigan wins the National Championship this year I think that he's gone. If Michigan does not when the National Championship this year (probable that they don't) I still think that it's 60-40 he's gone.

streaker did make some good points though.

Comment

Working...
                                X