Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

    You guys are on the right track. We have good enough defense, goaltending and overall competitiveness to beat any team in college hockey. What we never seem to have on a consistent basis is enough offense to be able to compete with the best on an ongoing basis, night in and night out.

    That being said, I think that while we are young our overall talent level is up this year and we have a chance to be a better team than we have been in recent years, which is a middle of the road Hockey East team. Being middle of the road in HE is nothing to laugh at, but it isn't top tier.

    Ross Colton will be recognized as one of the top players in college hockey by year end, so he's they guy you need to be worried about.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

      Originally posted by Catamount93 View Post
      You guys are on the right track. We have good enough defense, goaltending and overall competitiveness to beat any team in college hockey. What we never seem to have on a consistent basis is enough offense to be able to compete with the best on an ongoing basis, night in and night out.

      That being said, I think that while we are young our overall talent level is up this year and we have a chance to be a better team than we have been in recent years, which is a middle of the road Hockey East team. Being middle of the road in HE is nothing to laugh at, but it isn't top tier.

      Ross Colton will be recognized as one of the top players in college hockey by year end, so he's they guy you need to be worried about.
      Being that our team has generally been that way for a few seasons, this could be an interesting weekend. Possible blow outs each night for each team, or 1-0 games where one is a real barn burner and the other is total ineptitude.

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

        Five players with letters on the sweaters! Captain Tony Calderone and four Alternates - Sam Piazza, Joe Ceccconi, Griffin Luce and Jake Slaker.
        The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

          Big news day for University of Michigan Hockey! A well deserved honor!

          http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/10/...-berenson.aspx
          The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

            Originally posted by umichjim View Post
            Big news day for University of Michigan Hockey! A well deserved honor!

            http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/10/...-berenson.aspx
            Congratulations, Red! So very cool.

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

              Originally posted by umichjim View Post
              Big news day for University of Michigan Hockey! A well deserved honor!

              http://www.mgoblue.com/news/2017/10/...-berenson.aspx
              Yes, I was just going to relay that info. but you beat me to it. Congratulations Coach Berenson.
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                Does anyone know anything about Vermont?
                Martin St. Louis, Eric Perrin and Tim Thomas
                Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

                If your actions speak louder than words, you're not yelling loud enough. - Stephen Colbert

                You build. You paddle. You stand in awe of what your hands have made. - Pygmy Boats

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                  When was the last time we outshot an opponent ~4-1? Wow.

                  Very impressive.

                  Watching them move the puck around like that was really fun. And add in the obvious potential from the freshmen...

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                    And a very gutsy come from behind win to sweep the weekend.

                    That Slaker, Norris, Lockwood line is sure exciting to have on the ice. Man....

                    Comment


                    • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                      Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      And a very gutsy come from behind win to sweep the weekend.

                      That Slaker, Norris, Lockwood line is sure exciting to have on the ice. Man....
                      Throw in Hughes on the blue line, and that group has a lot of skating ability
                      Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

                      Comment


                      • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                        Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                        Five players with letters on the sweaters! Captain Tony Calderone and four Alternates - Sam Piazza, Joe Ceccconi, Griffin Luce and Jake Slaker.
                        That seems odd but it isn't. The Blue Jackets have 4. So do the Maple Leafs, Blues, and Canadians. The Oilers have five! And the Predators do not have any Alternate Captains. Maybe it's just me but I find for Alternate Captains excessive, doesn't really matter though.

                        https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...rnate_captains
                        Originally posted by alfablue
                        Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                        Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                        Comment


                        • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                          Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          And a very gutsy come from behind win to sweep the weekend.

                          That Slaker, Norris, Lockwood line is sure exciting to have on the ice. Man....
                          I went to the Friday game but not the Saturday game, thankfully they came back and won Saturday. To me Vermont looked competent. Yes they gave up a lot of shots although you can't take the scorekeepers at Yost (Red Berenson rink) for their word. Our shot-totals are always inflated at home. Vermont was scrappy but small. I'm curious how we'll do against B1G TEN teams, Minnesota and Wisconsin scare me with their size. The lone goal for Vermont on Saturday was very weak. LaFontaine let in a soft wrist shot through the 5-hole. He knew that it was a bad goal though so I'm sure the he learned from it. Im curious, how did Lavigne look Saturday? He faced more shots but also gave up 2 goals. Was the defense not as up to snuff Saturday? Will there be a 2-goalie rotation throughout the year? Or will Mel pick one by the time that we get to B1G play?
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                          Comment


                          • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                            For most of the game, I thought LaFontaine looked better Friday than Lavigne Saturday. Not that the goals were his fault- he just didn't look as comfortable. But he came around and played well.

                            I saw a quote from Mel that he's going to alternate goalies for a few weeks to see what we have, and see if one takes the net, so to speak.

                            As for the D- they didn't change nearly as much as Vermont did- they kept distances really close to Michigan players all night. That was the big reason the game was a lot closer. We could not establish the forecheck, and they forechecked harder. Some D mistakes were made- the one that was the worst was Hughes' turn over when on the PP. If he passed back to the other D, that first goal would not have happened- he needs to learn to pass at better times. And we know he can pass well- since he was making some killer ones.

                            Comment


                            • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                              Let's discuss the upcoming series. Penn State, there is a very small sample size but it seems apparent that what we need to do is stay out of the box. Easier said than done though, especially because you know the Penn State players will be running their mouths. Do our guys have the self-control not to retaliate? We never have in the past, but this is a new day with Mel so we'll see.
                              Originally posted by alfablue
                              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

                              Comment


                              • Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

                                Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                                Let's discuss the upcoming series. Penn State, there is a very small sample size but it seems apparent that what we need to do is stay out of the box. Easier said than done though, especially because you know the Penn State players will be running their mouths. Do our guys have the self-control not to retaliate? We never have in the past, but this is a new day with Mel so we'll see.
                                Speaking of small sample size. Umm...AIC beat Penn State last week. If we do not sweep I will consider it a failure
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
                                Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G
                                9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
                                6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                                5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                                5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                                2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X