X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split-N
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Yes, the one with the 2022 National Champions banner hanging from the rafters as well.
    To repeat part of an earlier post, "...the five-year soap opera was entertaining in its own way."

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    It was the arena mockup with 15 guys skating, right? I guess the admin finally got wind of the practical joke and issued a statement.
    Yes, the one with the 2022 National Champions banner hanging from the rafters as well.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    It was the arena mockup with 15 guys skating, right? I guess the admin finally got wind of the practical joke and issued a statement.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Oh, we know. We all know
    :-D

Leave a comment:

• bcmsu9196
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
    I think Illinois could have done it had they really been committed to doing so.
    Basketball issues aside, Illinois could have retrofitted the rink at the Illinois Ice Arena, to make it smaller, as was done in Lake Placid. Illini could have just played there, like Arizona State did at Oceanside for several years, while waiting on a new arena.

Leave a comment:

• Eddie Schorr
    replied
    Originally posted by Split-N View Post

This is just one of several B1G revenue spigots. If the Illinois powers that be couldn't find the funding, they apparently didn't look very hard.
    And I think the basketball angle is probably the most logical. Illinois has been good at basketball far more than at football, and I think there was probably some push back from the program not wanting to compete against an in-season shiny new thing on campus. With the pedsters, it was irrelevant as their basketball program has been a bottom feeder for decades and couldn't have stopped a hockey program even if Pegula hadn't dropped from the heavens.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied
    Originally posted by Eddie Schorr View Post
    ...the new B1G media deal is estimated to pay out 71M per school. I think Illinois could have done it had they really been committed to doing so.
    This is just one of several B1G revenue spigots. If the Illinois powers that be couldn't find the funding, they apparently didn't look very hard.

Leave a comment:

• Eddie Schorr
    replied
    There seems be a lot of buzz that NIL is sucking up a lot of donations that previously would have been used at the discretion of the AD. Now donors big and small are donating to these non-profit NIL funds (essentially slush funds for football and M Bball) that hang out the lure of private meet and greets with the players for donating members. If this is true, I think you'll see it in the financial reports of the schools in the next couple of years.

OTOH, the new B1G media deal is estimated to pay out 71M per school. I think Illinois could have done it had they really been committed to doing so.

Leave a comment:

• bcmsu9196
    replied

BINGO!!! The football god must be fed!
    Yup. Something that Lindenwood, Long Island, Augustana, and St. Thomas don't necessarily have to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• icehawk
    replied
    Another failed attempt from the big ten. Remember back when they formed the conference they said now more big ten teams will provide D1 hockey. Still waiting

Leave a comment:

• moose97
    replied

But if I read that document correctly, the arena itself was primarily a university project. It's even referred to as the "University of Illinois Sports Arena." The project was structured as a private-public partnership that involved the university, a developer, and the city. Per the document, "...the City contributions to the project would consist of revenues generated by the project through a combination of Tax Increment Finance funds and hotel tax revenue. The [city] investment in the project would primarily consist of the construction of two publicly owned parking structures and contributions to the new Conference Center."
    The part you are missing is that the "private" portion isn't the University. Furthermore, if you read the actual report College Hockey, Inc did for Illinois, while it mentions every rink in the B1G is university-owned, there is no mention of rink building costs in the proposed budget.

Leave a comment:

• J.D.
    replied
    What good did being in the spotlight do? They look dumb now for wasting all that time. I don't see how it benefits them in any way. The pandemic probably derailed the plans and they weren't able to get it back on track.

Leave a comment:

• pdt1081
    replied

BINGO!!! The football god must be fed! And don't underestimate entrenched hoops programs not being crazy about sharing the in-season spotlight, not to mention revenue, with D1 hockey.
    The fact they drug this out very publicly for 5 years, and decided they can't do it due to funding is why people are laughing. If they wanted hockey, they would have it. Guys they just wanted some time in the spotlight, because every time the story started to fade, they'd make another announcement of some sort.

Leave a comment:

• ExileOnDaytonStreet
    replied
    Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Probably because, despite seating 2000, the U of I campus rink is a goofy 115' wide
    I also hadn’t realized that that might be the only rink in Urbana. I thought for sure there was a decent community rink or something (if they wanted to go “Full ASU” for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Split-N
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    ......If you think Illinois doesn't have money to start a hockey program at any time they want, you're kidding yourself. However when you talk about taking $50-$100M to start a hockey team vs putting that money into football/basketball... that is where hockey will lose every time at a Big school.
    BINGO!!! The football god must be fed! And don't underestimate entrenched hoops programs not being crazy about sharing the in-season spotlight, not to mention competing for revenue, with D1 hockey.
    Last edited by Split-N; 05-03-2022, 12:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X