Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Athletics Discontinues Exploration of Men’s Ice Hockey

Comment

• So many people on here ready to celebrate now that one interested school couldn't make it work financially (probably because of the pandemic).

Comment

• Thank you, TP and NIL, for helping make this five-year charade possible.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

So many people on here ready to celebrate now that one interested school couldn't make it work financially (probably because of the pandemic).
          Celebrating and laughing hysterically aren't the same thing. Lindenwood, Long Island, Augustana, and St Thomas are moving forward while a University the size of Illinois "can't come up with the funding." It's actually quite comical when you really think about it. Would we rather see them add the sport? Only if they're going to support it.

Comment

• I think the TIL stuff is window dressing to the real reason it’s not happening: They only ever had the funds to endow the program, and the funds to do the arena never materialized in full before the pandemic happened (and dried up afterwards) because there were too many moving parts and not enough investors to overcome it.

Why they never adjusted the arena proposal to suit the funds they had, and why they didn’t just go with the ASU model of dealing with the arena later… who’s to say.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Why they never adjusted the arena proposal to suit the funds they had, and why they didn’t just go with the ASU model of dealing with the arena later… who’s to say.
              Probably because, despite seating 2000, the U of I campus rink is a goofy 115' wide
              Last edited by moose97; 05-03-2022, 01:09 AM.
              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
              ECAC:
              HEA: UMass
              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• This whole thing felt so off from the get go. It's like they thought because they had this big feasibility study and NHL "partnership" or whatever, some magic donor was going to float down to earth and give them however many millions they'd need for an arena, probably $60-90 million based on what other arenas have cost in college hockey. It's seems as tho they expected the fairy godmother to just deliver Terry Pegula on a silver platter

Comment

• Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                  This whole thing felt so off from the get go. It's like they thought because they had this big feasibility study and NHL "partnership" or whatever, some magic donor was going to float down to earth and give them however many millions they'd need for an arena, probably $60-90 million based on what other arenas have cost in college hockey. It's seems as tho they expected the fairy godmother to just deliver Terry Pegula on a silver platter
                  Except that the proposed rink was a public/private development off campus by the city, not the school.

https://champaignil.gov/planning/eco...ent/the-yards/
                  Last edited by moose97; 05-03-2022, 01:08 AM.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• I'm not getting bogged down by the same old financial details we love to talk about on here. I'll leave that to others. This is disappointing though. I say that because from what I have read, their fans want it. And Illinois ranks pretty high in terms of producing NCAA players. Top 5 state? It was a logical location for a hockey program. Has Northwestern ever shown any interest?

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                      ...Except that the proposed rink was a public/private development off campus by the city, not the school.
                      https://champaignil.gov/planning/eco...ent/the-yards/
                      But if I read that document correctly, the arena itself was primarily a university project. It's even referred to as the "University of Illinois Sports Arena." The project was structured as a private-public partnership that involved the university, a developer, and the city. Per the document, "...the City contributions to the project would consist of revenues generated by the project through a combination of Tax Increment Finance funds and hotel tax revenue. The [city] investment in the project would primarily consist of the construction of two publicly owned parking structures and contributions to the new Conference Center."

Unless I'm grossly misinterpreting something, this debacle is squarely on the University of Illinois, which is neither a small nor a "poor" school. If Illinois really wanted D1 hockey, it would have found a way to make it happen without a Terry Pegula clone, just as Arizona State did, not to mention much smaller schools with far fewer resources, like Long Island, Augustana, and Lindenwood.

Oh well, the five-year soap opera was entertaining in its own way.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 05-03-2022, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

So many people on here ready to celebrate now that one interested school couldn't make it work financially (probably because of the pandemic).
                        I think you really misunderstand those of us who keep saying how expensive it is to start hockey programs.

I think we all want college hockey to grow and thrive. The disagreement is whether adding underfunded programs with no reasonable facilities and a lack of scholarships qualifies as "growing and thriving." College hockey could add a million LIUs, and expand the bottom, but is that making college hockey better? When a school starts a new program, I want that program to have the intent to compete. We have enough schools playing in off campus rinks, or tiny 200 seaters, drawing flies. If a kid wants to pay their way to pay college hockey, there are plenty of opportunities at the bottom end of D-I or D-III. I want schools like Illinois to come in and build a fancy new arena, and invest in a top class program, and keep more kids playing NCAA as opposed to Major Junior.

Maybe Augustana and Lindenwood will be more like that than LIU. I don't know. I hope they put real programs together. We have enough schools teetering on the edge of extinction. We need more schools that are going to put together a jewel of a program.

Comment

• One of the biggest problems with Illinois, and the Big in general, is that those schools don't care about hockey. Outside of Minnesota, a state where they can pack an NHL arena in the middle of a weekday afternoon to watch HIGH SCHOOL hockey, name one Big program where hockey has even a sniff at being the most important sports program on campus... I'll wait. Nobody in the Big cared about hockey until PSU came along and triggered the mandatory Big conference creation. The Big is a football first, basketball second, everything else a distant third conference. If the Big is going to expand hockey, there is a far better chance it grows on a campus where the previously mentioned sports can't compete (Rutgers, John Hopkins, etc). It is far tougher to start it on a campus like Illinois where money to start hockey is seen as taking it away from the programs that "matter" to fans and alumni.

If you think Illinois doesn't have money to start a hockey program at any time they want, you're kidding yourself. However when you talk about taking $50-$100M to start a hockey team vs putting that money into football/basketball... that is where hockey will lose every time at a Big school.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            ......If you think Illinois doesn't have money to start a hockey program at any time they want, you're kidding yourself. However when you talk about taking $50-$100M to start a hockey team vs putting that money into football/basketball... that is where hockey will lose every time at a Big school.
                            BINGO!!! The football god must be fed! And don't underestimate entrenched hoops programs not being crazy about sharing the in-season spotlight, not to mention competing for revenue, with D1 hockey.
                            Last edited by Split-N; 05-03-2022, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Probably because, despite seating 2000, the U of I campus rink is a goofy 115' wide
                              I also hadn’t realized that that might be the only rink in Urbana. I thought for sure there was a decent community rink or something (if they wanted to go “Full ASU” for a few years.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post

BINGO!!! The football god must be fed! And don't underestimate entrenched hoops programs not being crazy about sharing the in-season spotlight, not to mention revenue, with D1 hockey.
                                The fact they drug this out very publicly for 5 years, and decided they can't do it due to funding is why people are laughing. If they wanted hockey, they would have it. Guys they just wanted some time in the spotlight, because every time the story started to fade, they'd make another announcement of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X