U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Athletes are getting paid by the schools now? (spare me the jokes). I thought the new rules simply allow athletes to make money however they can. Endorsements, etc. Where does a school paying them come into the equation?
    I have this gnawing feeling that NIL is just the tip of the iceberg, especially for the P5 bluebloods. And if overall athletic expenses go up because of this, then IMO you can kiss further D1 hockey expansion goodbye, except maybe at smaller schools with no football. The football and hoops gods MUST be fed.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      And of those who care, who cares enough to not write a check?
      Considering this is a four year old thread and three teams have announced their intention to jump to D1 while the Illini sit on their thumbs...

.... I'm gonna guess more people aren't writing a check than you assume.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Considering this is a four year old thread and three teams have announced their intention to jump to D1 while the Illini sit on their thumbs...

In fairness:
        • One of them is a straight up promotion of a lower tier existing program. Very few actual hurdles as far as creating the program.
        • Another one is just a weird bat**** crazy announcement out of nowhere with seemingly a cavalier “let’s do it live” approach to things like “putting a team together in two months” and “deciding to just play in what amounts to a pee wee rink”
        • A program that technically doesn’t exist yet.
        None of these are going into a conference with seven of the most resource-laden programs in the nation, nor are they trying to have a serious, 5000+ seat arena. In fact I’m not positive any of them have the means to seat more than 1000 fans at a game anytime soon.

Yes, this Illinois thing has dragged out longer than it took PSU to go from announcement to skates on the ice, but it also kinda <makes sense> that what they’re trying to do takes more time and money. Specifically on the arena front.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          nor are they trying to have a serious, 5000+ seat arena. In fact I’m not positive any of them have the means to seat more than 1000 fans at a game anytime soon.
          Clearly you are not familiar with the Denny Sanford (the namesake donor for Augustana) Center, which holds 10,000 for hockey then... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn...Premier_Center
          Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
          B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
          CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
          ECAC:
          HEA: UMass
          NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
          Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Clearly you are not familiar with the Denny Sanford (the namesake donor for Augustana) Center, which holds 10,000 for hockey then... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denn...Premier_Center
            Yeah and AIC would play in an AHL arena, just sayin’

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Way to deflect from your woefully inaccurate initial comment

AHA:
              ECAC:

Comment

• Furthermore, Lindenwood already has a 3000 seat barn, which makes the second part of your statement only accurate for LIU as well.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...For-Summer.php

AHA:
                ECAC:

Comment

• First off I have no idea why you decided to get salty about what I said. But if we’re going to be dicks about it, I’ll oblige…

Augustana does indeed reside in a city with a big arena. Maybe they’ll even use it. We don’t know, they haven’t said as such. Yes it helps to have it carry the name of a donor, but we otherwise have nothing else to go on. By that measure, we should just claim that St Thomas is playing in the Xcel Energy Center.

In fact, St Thomas must be planning on using it of course, since if they were going to use the high school rink they used in D-III then LIU wouldn’t be the “only” school without a 5000+ seat arena would they?

And for the matter of Lindenwood’s 2500 seater: Wodon seems to have added 500 seats for dramatic effect in his article, judging by the numbers on the website for the actual facility. Or they made upgrades that Wodon is privy to but not their web admin. Where you found an extra 2000 seats such as to say LIU is the “only” small facility and be An Annoying Person On The Internet, I’ll leave to my imagination.

Comment

First off I have no idea why you decided to get salty about what I said. But if we’re going to be dicks about it, I’ll oblige…

Augustana does indeed reside in a city with a big arena. Maybe they’ll even use it. We don’t know, they haven’t said as such. Yes it helps to have it carry the name of a donor, but we otherwise have nothing else to go on. By that measure, we should just claim that St Thomas is playing in the Xcel Energy Center.

In fact, St Thomas must be planning on using it of course, since if they were going to use the high school rink they used in D-III then LIU wouldn’t be the “only” school without a 5000+ seat arena would they?

And for the matter of Lindenwood’s 2500 seater: Wodon seems to have added 500 seats for dramatic effect in his article, judging by the numbers on the website for the actual facility. Or they made upgrades that Wodon is privy to but not their web admin. Where you found an extra 2000 seats such as to say LIU is the “only” small facility and be An Annoying Person On The Internet, I’ll leave to my imagination.
                    Your direct quote was "means to seat 1000." Lindenwood is clearly above that. As is St Thomas, for that matter (1000 listed but record attendance is 1100+). Annoying? Perhaps. Accurate? Definitely more than you.

AHA:
                    ECAC:

Comment

{sigh}
                      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post

Your direct quote was "means to seat 1000." Lindenwood is clearly above that. As is St Thomas, for that matter (1000 listed but record attendance is 1100+). Annoying? Perhaps. Accurate? Definitely more than you.
                        Agreed. The CCHA doesn't have big arenas so it's not like 3,000, 2,500 or 1,100 is out of their league. To me the three new programs are in a good landing spot.
                        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

The only thing I'm assuming is that you didn't understand my point.
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post

Agreed. The CCHA doesn't have big arenas so it's not like 3,000, 2,500 or 1,100 is out of their league. To me the three new programs are in a good landing spot.
                            Other than St Thomas, Ferris State is the only rink to seat less than 3,800.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Trev Alberts, former Nebraska LB, former AD at UN-Omaha, named new AD at Nebraska-Lincoln.

Let the speculation commence.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...letic-director
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                Trev Alberts, former Nebraska LB, former AD at UN-Omaha, named new AD at Nebraska-Lincoln.

Let the speculation commence.
                                The Nebraska Corn-Puckers?
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X