U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    I think Syracuse would have a Title IX compliance issue if it added men's hockey.
    Correct. Which is why they only added women’s hockey a few years ago.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Navy would make sense from the standpoint of its being the only D1 Service academy without hockey but I live in that general area and haven't heard anything to that effect on the hockey grapevine. Pure speculation on my part but UNLV wouldn't surprise me. Plenty of $$$ (at least until recently), and some acceptable venues relatively close by.

Personally I'd love to see Syracuse or Rhode Island make the jump to fill out Hockey East but I won't hold my breath.
      I’m basing it off of Trefzger’s comments on the USCHO podcasts this year and the part where the DMV (if you consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia as a collective state) is probably the market most underserved by non-NHL hockey teams in the nation.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        I’m basing it off of Trefzger’s comments on the USCHO podcasts this year and the part where the DMV (if you consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia as a collective state) is probably the market most underserved by non-NHL hockey teams in the nation.
        I'm going with the UC Irvine Anteaters as the mysterious missing team being alluded to......

https://thehockeywriters.com/college...rt-california/

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          There have been rumors and speculation involving Navy going back at least 30 years--sometimes involving Maryland (20 miles away) coming along with it--but amounting to nothing more than what the Navy would call "Scuttlebutt."

Interestingly, Navy has had a consistently competitive ACHA D1 club team for years so hockey is not unknown in Annapolis. But if the academy had any varsity hockey intentions, it almost certainly would have designed the new rink it built not so many years back to meet NCAA D1 minimums. It didn't.

All of that being said, the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything.

But even without the current public health situation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen.
          Last edited by Split-N; 04-23-2020, 12:49 PM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Eau Claire
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              There have been rumors and speculation involving Navy going back at least 30 years--sometimes involving Maryland (20 miles away) coming along with it--but amounting to nothing more than what the Navy would call "Scuttlebutt."

Interestingly, Navy has had a consistently competitive ACHA D1 club team for years so hockey is not unknown in Annapolis. But if the academy had any varsity hockey intentions, it almost certainly would have designed the new rink it built not so many years back to meet NCAA D1 minimums. It didn't.

All of that being said, the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything.

But even without the current public health situation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen.
              But show place arena!

Yeah, Navy buried their opportunity when they built their new rink (with donated money) with the express purpose of having indoor tennis courts. GMU is the most likely option. There are no venues in that 2k range. In theory I think you could do some retrofitting at the St James (inside beltway springfield, edsall road) with some money if a college wanted to go varsity to get to minimal standards... the St James is in an industrial area and has some $$$$ behind the operation as they consider themselves a premier facility with an indoor football/soccer field amongst other things. I think MedStar in Arlington might sit 1k... but yeah
              BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
              Skating Friar Jersey
              AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
              UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
              Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

As an old retired sailor, I want a Navy team, maybe they can do better that Wisconsin right now.
                UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Switzer View Post
                  As an old retired sailor, I want a Navy team, maybe they can do better that Wisconsin right now.
                  A Navy team of old retired sailors could do better than Wisconsin these days!
                  bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                  SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                  All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                  A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Sad part Ray, you could be right.
                    UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

WHOA! Maybe Navy starting D1 hockey isn't such a pipe dream after all. Following is an excerpt from a tweet by Mike McMahon, of College Hockey News:

"...Been told by enough people that the AHA is holding out hope that Navy will go D1 soon, and lots of people believe that is in the works and in the planning stages. If you're asking me, expect Navy in AHA."

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                        The University of Mazatlan and Long Island University will win a DI hockey NC before Illinois has a team.
                        Fixed that for you.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+.

Last edited by The Zlax45; 04-30-2020, 11:32 PM.
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                            Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+....
                            I've been there and can verify the "pack the house" comment. And when they go on the road (principally in MD, VA, and the Carolinas) they'll bring along several fan buses. However, Lynchburg is literally in the middle of nowhere, isolated in the southern part of Virginia, and nowhere close to the DC metro area. Very hard to get to. Arena layout is a bit odd--bleachers on the sides but most of the seats are on one end. Seats ~3K.

Comment

However, Lynchburg is literally in the middle of nowhere, isolated in the southern part of Virginia, and nowhere close to the DC metro area. Very hard to get to.
                              I've been to Lynchburg on business. I can definitely attest to this!
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+.
                                ]
                                And, Liberty may be the only college or university open for education as usual, as opposed to remote learning in the 2020-2021 academic year.

Comment

Working...
                                X