• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

There he is.

Comment

I’m convinced U of I money isn’t the issue. In a past article the associate ad is quoted as saying they almost pulled the trigger before and that some final obstacles were with a developer and nearby property owner.

It could be negotiation over the rent to own agreement for the arena, issues over the parking garage size, or in general sorting through who’s paying how much for what (developer, mass transit, or U of I).

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
        I’m convinced U of I money isn’t the issue. In a past article the associate ad is quoted as saying they almost pulled the trigger before and that some final obstacles were with a developer and nearby property owner.

It could be negotiation over the rent to own agreement for the arena, issues over the parking garage size, or in general sorting through who’s paying how much for what (developer, mass transit, or U of I).
        Rumor has it you are on to something.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

It’s much more profitable for a university to own the arena. Here a developer is building it and setting the prices it takes to use it. That could dramatically determine whether hockey is profitable or not. The developers arena doesn’t exist without U of I hockey and vice versa. They both know it. Each wants to make money and it’s at the others expense and this is a long term arrangement. Hence a stalemate. Throw in stuff like how to split parking and concessions and you have plenty to argue over. That’s my theory anyway.
          Last edited by slowe; 02-25-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Stadium deals are mess and take many years before they come to a conclusion. Rumor has it IL has the money to start a D1 team but obviously they jumped the boat or they wouldn't have come out and had a media press conference.

Comment

https://twitter.com/buccigross/statu...734413824?s=21
              It Happened!!!!

Comment

So is this a real announcement or just another announcement that will be used to fish for a large donor?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the AD came out and said "We have everything ready to go. We just need $xx Million in cash to get this going.". This has been gestating for what seems like 6-7 years now.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Last we heard, the arena development was the hangup, not the donor situation. So… maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Nothing new here but from what I have been told today IL is getting closer to getting all their ducks in a row. This will get done.

Comment

Yay
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        Yay
                        You bet. It gives Minnesotans even more potential roster spots in D1.

Comment

Same source that said they are going to shrink the capacity of Mariucci by 1,500

Throw enough darts one will hit

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            Same source that said they are going to shrink the capacity of Mariucci by 1,500

Throw enough darts one will hit
                            This IL rumor came from a top executive in the USHL and not somebody within U of M.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              Nothing new here but from what I have been told today IL is getting closer to getting all their ducks in a row. This will get done.
                              Because after a decade of not being able to do this, the money finally shook loose during a massive financial crisis?

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                Because after a decade of not being able to do this, the money finally shook loose during a massive financial crisis?
                                Yes. I think this is the first time the university has actually asked. Generally they are slow to pick up new sports for fear of diluting the donor pool.
                                Last edited by slowe; 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X