Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Because no schools have added D1 hockey lately....
    Exactly, it's why I'm not talking smack here.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      Exactly, it's why I'm not talking smack here.
      Illinois really needs to hustle if they want to be 2022 National Champions.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Weeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Comment

There's a great trivia question.

Who was the last school to add D-1 hockey to make the national championship game in just 4 years?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            There's a great trivia question.

Who was the last school to add D-1 hockey to make the national championship game in just 4 years?
            For a second I thought you were referencing NMU, but that was only a semi-final and happened in 1981
            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              For a second I thought you were referencing NMU, but that was only a semi-final and happened in 1981
              [looks around]

[hides previous season’s record books]
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                [looks around]

[hides previous season’s record books]

Dartmouth. D1 1947, Championship Game 1948 (Loss)
                Michigan. D1 1947, Championship Game 1948 (Win)
                Boston College. D1 1947, Championship Game 1949 (Won)
                Boston University. D1 1947, Championship Game 1950 (Loss)
                Colorado College. D1 1947, Championship Game 1950 (Win)
                Brown. D1 1947, Championship Game 1951 (Loss)
                Northern Michigan. D1 1976, Championship Game 1980 (Loss)
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                  Can Illinois at least be a host institution for the other tournament?
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

The first six are technically true, but each of those schools at least had a team before there was an NCAA championship.

Dartmouth played their first season in 1906-07, UM in 1920-21, BC and BU in 1917-18, CC in 1939-40, and Brown way back in 1897-98.

NMU is the correct answer regardless as the most recent to accomplish the feat.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Yep, I'm an idiot... I knew NMU was around there, but I couldn't remember... Went to the Googles and pulled up the 1981 tournament and saw us losing to MTU in the 3rd place game and completely blanked on the back-to-back F4 aspect...
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                        NMU is the correct answer regardless as the most recent to accomplish the feat.
                        Yes, I am aware those schools didn't magically all spontaniously start programs for the 1947-48 season, but the way it was worded I thought an old WCHA team (St. Cloud, UAA) might have snuck in there. And the growth of D1 the the turn of the Millenium got buried by the "Power" schools steamrolling everyone in the early 2000's.

Deducting the formation of the NCAA D1 era (1947-ish), NMU is the only school to go from nothing to National Championship game in four years.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

… and back to nothing
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            … and back to nothing
                            That hurts. A lot.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Whitman, Illini reshaping athletics campus: 'Always more to do'

https://247sports.com/college/illino...144219560/Amp/

But the biggest, most complicated project Whitman is attempting has faced some hurdles. Whitman announced in 2017 that Illinois would pursue adding a Division-I hockey program. In 2018, he said during a media roundtable that he hoped to green-light the program by the end of that calendar year.

But two years later, the project — which is expected to cost $100 million for a multi-sport facility that would also house the men’s and women’s gymnastics programs, volleyball and wrestling — still remains a concept.

To complete a project that would transform downtown Champaign — which includes a hotel and conference center and expanded mass transit hub — the Illinois athletics department is working with many entities: the city of Champaign, the mass transit district, developers and investors. That has slowed the process, to the Illini's dismay. But Whitman still remains optimistic the project will become a reality — eventually.

“I would say largely the same,” Whitman said on Monday when asked for the umpteenth time for an update on the project. “All the same things you’ve heard from me many times. It’s complicated. It’s hard. I think it’s incredibly exciting. I will say here in the last couple months there had been a little bit of a lull sort of in the middle to late 2019. But here in late 2019 and early 2020, we’ve made some really nice progress. We’ve had a few significant pieces fall into place. We’re as optimistic as we’ve ever been that we’ll be able to get it done. It’s just a question of time.”

Comment

Originally posted by slowe View Post
                                Whitman, Illini reshaping athletics campus: 'Always more to do'
                                https://247sports.com/college/illino...144219560/Amp/

Whitman announced in 2017 that Illinois would pursue adding a Division-I hockey program.
                                In 2018, he said during a media roundtable that he hoped to green-light the program by the end of that calendar year.
                                But two years later, the project — which is expected to cost $100 million...still remains a concept.
                                ...in late 2019 and early 2020, we’ve made some really nice progress...We’re as optimistic as we’ve ever been that we’ll be able to get it done. It’s just a question of time.”
                                ...and finding someone to give us $100M to get it done (like every other school that wants D-I hockey).
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X