Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Hope it’s true, but the State of Illinois is such a financial disaster right now (and for the foreseeable future) that it seems like a politically tone deaf move, unless they’ve found a major donor
    Not just the Illinois State but if you "premier" programs of football and bball are mired in the muck of the conferences how do you see adding more pressure to the budget from hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      70% chance Illinois announces a program during/after the Frozen Four
      24.9% chance they announce no program now or ever
      0.1% it’s all a ruse, U of Chicago is back in the Big Ten, and better than ever (but only for hockey)
      and the other 5%?
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        and the other 5%?
        Freddy Meyer hacks it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          and the other 5%?
          Punt until later.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            and the other 5%?
            UIC Revival?

Comment

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              UIC Revival?
              If only.

I’d love to see some Horizon League schools with programs. Oakland University was reported to have passed a feasibility study with flying colors, so who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a similar note, wasn’t there a MAC school or two that was looking into a feasibility study? Or was that just a summer thread pipe dream? It’s hard to keep track.

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

The name I’ve heard is Eau Claire.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  The name I’ve heard is Eau Claire.
                  As in… D-III UW-Eau Claire?

Comment

Yes. I’ve heard it from a few people that they’re looking.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Given that they’re D-III, they’d have to formally play up. I’d thought the NCAA was done with that (except maybe for D-II schools due to the lack of a championship at that level).

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                        Hope it’s true, but the State of Illinois is such a financial disaster right now (and for the foreseeable future) that it seems like a politically tone deaf move, unless they’ve found a major donor
                        Three years of budgetary related shutdowns caused by the speaker of the house and the governor measuring dicks every summer will do that. It was the same old cut taxes, cut services, cry poor for the last few years.

Yes, there has been a flight of people leaving the state, but additional revenue sources needed to be found. Give credit to the new governor for looking into legalizing sports betting and other "unconventional" ways to raise revenue. His car mileage tax in lieu of a gas tax can die in a fire though.

But that's a different thread to discuss those things.

And honestly, with the popularity of the Blackhawks surging through the 2010's, Northwestern missed the boat in adding B1G hockey, especially considering some of the tight ties between the 'Hawks and Northwestern.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I don’t see why it would be too late for Northwestern. Obviously they have all of the road blocks as Illinois (with fewer athletics donations and less flexibility in getting an arena), but it’s not like it couldn’t happen.

That said, you are probably correct in that the high water mark for the Blackhawks has maybe passed and that would’ve been helpful for any Northwestern ambitions.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Given that they’re D-III, they’d have to formally play up. I’d thought the NCAA was done with that (except maybe for D-II schools due to the lack of a championship at that level).
                            They are done with that. No more play-ups from D-III. UW-EC athletics would have to go D-I or D-II.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Three years of budgetary related shutdowns caused by the speaker of the house and the governor measuring dicks every summer will do that. It was the same old cut taxes, cut services, cry poor for the last few years.

Yes, there has been a flight of people leaving the state, but additional revenue sources needed to be found.
                              How bad can it be? New York and Massachusetts (and to some degree Michigan and Minnesota, too) have been dealing with ridiculous state government and financial situations causing mass exodus for decades, but they've got a whole bunch of D-I hockey teams (although admittedly, only one -Cornell- of New York's could be considered even remotely a state school. SUNYs are all D-III). All the poor hockey fans of Illinois want is just one.
                              Can't we all just get along?
                              Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Cornell is a state school (even remotely)? Has the Ivy League been made aware of that? And BTW, Northeastern constantly gets misidentified as Northwestern in the national sports media so I guess you could say that--in a sense--Northwestern has hockey.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X