Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Iím basing it off of Trefzgerís comments on the USCHO podcasts this year and the part where the DMV (if you consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia as a collective state) is probably the market most underserved by non-NHL hockey teams in the nation.
    I'm going with the UC Irvine Anteaters as the mysterious missing team being alluded to......

    https://thehockeywriters.com/college...rt-california/

    Comment


    • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I’m basing it off of Trefzger’s comments on the USCHO podcasts this year and the part where the DMV (if you consider DC, Maryland, and Virginia as a collective state) is probably the market most underserved by non-NHL hockey teams in the nation.
      There have been rumors and speculation involving Navy going back at least 30 years--sometimes involving Maryland (20 miles away) coming along with it--but amounting to nothing more than what the Navy would call "Scuttlebutt."

      Interestingly, Navy has had a consistently competitive ACHA D1 club team for years so hockey is not unknown in Annapolis. But if the academy had any varsity hockey intentions, it almost certainly would have designed the new rink it built not so many years back to meet NCAA D1 minimums. It didn't.

      All of that being said, the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything.

      But even without the current public health situation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen.
      Last edited by Split-N; 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM.
      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

      Comment


      • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

        Eau Claire
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

        Comment


        • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

          Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          There have been rumors and speculation involving Navy going back at least 30 years--sometimes involving Maryland (20 miles away) coming along with it--but amounting to nothing more than what the Navy would call "Scuttlebutt."

          Interestingly, Navy has had a consistently competitive ACHA D1 club team for years so hockey is not unknown in Annapolis. But if the academy had any varsity hockey intentions, it almost certainly would have designed the new rink it built not so many years back to meet NCAA D1 minimums. It didn't.

          All of that being said, the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything.

          But even without the current public health situation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen.
          But show place arena!

          Yeah, Navy buried their opportunity when they built their new rink (with donated money) with the express purpose of having indoor tennis courts. GMU is the most likely option. There are no venues in that 2k range. In theory I think you could do some retrofitting at the St James (inside beltway springfield, edsall road) with some money if a college wanted to go varsity to get to minimal standards... the St James is in an industrial area and has some $$$$ behind the operation as they consider themselves a premier facility with an indoor football/soccer field amongst other things. I think MedStar in Arlington might sit 1k... but yeah
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

          Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey


          NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

          Comment


          • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

            As an old retired sailor, I want a Navy team, maybe they can do better that Wisconsin right now.
            UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

            Comment


            • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

              Originally posted by Terry Switzer View Post
              As an old retired sailor, I want a Navy team, maybe they can do better that Wisconsin right now.
              A Navy team of old retired sailors could do better than Wisconsin these days!
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

              And stay off the lawn!

              Comment


              • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                Sad part Ray, you could be right.
                UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

                Comment


                • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                  WHOA! Maybe Navy starting D1 hockey isn't such a pipe dream after all. Following is an excerpt from a tweet by Mike McMahon, of College Hockey News:

                  "...Been told by enough people that the AHA is holding out hope that Navy will go D1 soon, and lots of people believe that is in the works and in the planning stages. If you're asking me, expect Navy in AHA."
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                  Comment


                  • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                    Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                    The University of Mazatlan and Long Island University will win a DI hockey NC before Illinois has a team.
                    Fixed that for you.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                    Comment


                    • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                      Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      There have been rumors and speculation involving Navy going back at least 30 years--sometimes involving Maryland (20 miles away) coming along with it--but amounting to nothing more than what the Navy would call "Scuttlebutt."

                      Interestingly, Navy has had a consistently competitive ACHA D1 club team for years so hockey is not unknown in Annapolis. But if the academy had any varsity hockey intentions, it almost certainly would have designed the new rink it built not so many years back to meet NCAA D1 minimums. It didn't.

                      All of that being said, the Washington Caps are wildly popular in the DMV and youth hockey in this part of the world is stronger than it has ever been. So D1 college hockey at places like Navy, Maryland, and George Mason would likely have success. As noted, Navy already has a rink and George Mason has an ice-making capability at its Patriot Center arena. Georgetown and George Washington would very much be longshots as they would need to build arenas and have precious little available land on which to build anything.

                      But even without the current public health situation, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any of this to happen.
                      Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+.

                      Last edited by The Zlax45; 05-01-2020, 12:32 AM.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

                      Comment


                      • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                        Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+....
                        I've been there and can verify the "pack the house" comment. And when they go on the road (principally in MD, VA, and the Carolinas) they'll bring along several fan buses. However, Lynchburg is literally in the middle of nowhere, isolated in the southern part of Virginia, and nowhere close to the DC metro area. Very hard to get to. Arena layout is a bit odd--bleachers on the sides but most of the seats are on one end. Seats ~3K.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

                        Comment


                        • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                          Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          However, Lynchburg is literally in the middle of nowhere, isolated in the southern part of Virginia, and nowhere close to the DC metro area. Very hard to get to.
                          I've been to Lynchburg on business. I can definitely attest to this!
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                            Liberty would be my pick in that area...They pack the house for Club Hockey and even have games on ESPN+.
                            ]
                            And, Liberty may be the only college or university open for education as usual, as opposed to remote learning in the 2020-2021 academic year.

                            Comment


                            • Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

                              Looks like LIU flipped UIL on this one.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X