• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owslachief
    replied
    Re: I guess it's time for another Michigan State thread

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Reactions from the Green and White game. Nice to see an emphasis on special teams as refs always call lots of penalties early in the season. Also nice to see Cole instructing players during the game. While way too early to know, it looks like defense will be improved (couldn’t be much worse) and power play will continue to be a struggle, at least early in the year. At times MSU looked a bit like PSU taking lots of shots. Good hustle from players. Freshmen looked like Freshmen, but showed promise.
    Of course, there is really almost no tea-leaves here to read - and that's thanks to the tight restrictions placed on coached practices leading up to the scrimmage.

This was far less "fun for the kids" as it was virtually a practice, and that's not a bad thing. I love that an emphasis was on special situations and special teams. I'm not at all discouraged by lack of flair, but was rather encouraged to see some fundamentals being emphasized and, yes, an attempt at creativity on the power play.

It seemed like going back even into the Comley years, it was "throw everyone out there" and see where they are developmentally. There was little structure involved. I didn't sense that last night. Still, it is obvious there is a lot of youth.

Freshmen who stood out for me: Lewandowski, Stevens, Apap and to a lesser extent Miller.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Reactions from the Green and White game. Nice to see an emphasis on special teams as refs always call lots of penalties early in the season. Also nice to see Cole instructing players during the game. While way too early to know, it looks like defense will be improved (couldn’t be much worse) and power play will continue to be a struggle, at least early in the year. At times MSU looked a bit like PSU taking lots of shots. Good hustle from players. Freshmen looked like Freshmen, but showed promise.
    I came away with some of the same observations. Not much offensive flair and the PP did struggle. We could have predicted that. It was pretty sloppy at first but guys settled down after 10 minutes or so.

No club guys to fill out rosters. A lot of ice time for everyone.

Returning players looked good. I noticed Saliba, Osburn and Milan a lot.

The older freshmen appeared more comfortable to me. Apap, Kamer and Smith all did a nice job. I felt Apap was effective around the puck. Lewandowski and Stevens got a little lost in the wash and Miller may need to beef up a tad.

Of course, actual games will tell us far more. I am curious as to who will be dressed Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• gomsuman
    replied

Danton hinted on his radio show that MSU may take the PSU approach this year when it comes to shot selection (shoot early and often).

Leave a comment:

• wsummers
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    It's fun getting these commits but the issue with them being so young is that I have no idea how to evaluate them. To me, their performance before they get to one of the main Junior leagues feels irrelevant.

Nevetheless, snagging some European kids is interesting and different. A lot of good hockey players out there; not just in the USHL.
    With USNTDP experience, not only is Danton pretty good at projection, but he's got very good connections with coaches in that age bracket.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    What's the word on these recruits? Any good?

At the very least it seems Cole has recruited a lot of players since he started...
    It's fun getting these commits but the issue with them being so young is that I have no idea how to evaluate them. To me, their performance before they get to one of the main Junior leagues feels irrelevant.

Nevetheless, snagging some European kids is interesting and different. A lot of good hockey players out there; not just in the USHL.

Leave a comment:

• gomsuman
    replied

What's the word on these recruits? Any good?

At the very least it seems Cole has recruited a lot of players since he started...

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Welcome, Kristóf Papp, a 2001 forward in the Honeybaked Program, for 2020-21. He is a native of Hungary.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

New commitments
    Erik Bargoltz 16 year old forward from Appleton, Wisconsin for 2020. Drafted by Green Bay...

Have read on a blog, but don't see confirmation anywhere we also have a commitment from Egor/Yegor Afanasyev a 16 year old Russian forward who plays for Little Caesars. Drafted by Muskegon.
    Well, Section T, it seems like it's now "official"

Egor (aka Yegor) is a 16-year-old 6'2, 192# left-handed forward from Russia.
    Last edited by owslachief; 10-03-2017, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
    A coach who coaches to his team's strengths!? Didn't know there was such a thing..

All kidding aside, I do agree that the emphasis was on better goaltending at media days. They brought up that both the save percentages of our goalies last year were under .900 which isn't good enough.
    There was shaky goaltending from both scholarship goalies, but that has some to do with the quality of chances given up by our 'D'. And tied to that is the number of turnovers and the inability to clean-up in our own end. I think DC's commitment to getting this part shored up first would tend to boost our netminders' numbers. Up the proportion of bad-angle shots and outside-the-circle shots and you stand a better chance.

Leave a comment:

• gomsuman
    replied

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    There has been little in the way of systems and scheme news but Cole dropped some hints yesterday. He mentioned that he would like MSU to be fast and aggressive offensively but without directly saying it, mentioned that the current roster may not be suited to an up and down, explosive style. I think we all knew that and this is pure speculation but I think this tells us that we'll be a defense first, meat and potatoes type of squad. An Iowa football of hockey, so to speak. I think this is perfectly fine. There is not a part of our game that wasn't weak or downright terrible last year. Let's shore up defense and goaltending first and score grubby goals.
    A coach who coaches to his team's strengths!? Didn't know there was such a thing..

All kidding aside, I do agree that the emphasis was on better goaltending at media days. They brought up that both the save percentages of our goalies last year were under .900 which isn't good enough.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied

There has been little in the way of systems and scheme news but Cole dropped some hints yesterday. He mentioned that he would like MSU to be fast and aggressive offensively but without directly saying it, mentioned that the current roster may not be suited to an up and down, explosive style. I think we all knew that and this is pure speculation but I think this tells us that we'll be a defense first, meat and potatoes type of squad. An Iowa football of hockey, so to speak. I think this is perfectly fine. There is not a part of our game that wasn't weak or downright terrible last year. Let's shore up defense and goaltending first and score grubby goals.

Leave a comment:

• Pirateasaur
    replied
    Originally posted by owslachief View Post
    At long last, another goalie pick up. Jonathan Williams, 2002, from St. Louis blues tier one elite program
    The recruits seem to be coming in pretty fast. I wonder if many of these guys Cole was familiar with by scouting for the NTDP.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied
    At long last, another goalie pick up. Jonathan Williams, 2002, from St. Louis blues tier one elite program

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied

GLI is on the away tickets section for Jan 1 and 2. Looks like 25 bucks for lower level.

The Michigan game in Detroit is 24 bucks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X