• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I guess it's time for another Michigan State thread

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
    I just saw that GLI will be Dec, 28-29.
    This was on evensi.us website after googling
    GLI. But that is the only site I see it on.
    Nothing at msuspartans.com
    That's last year's tournament.

The Red Wings are home on the 29th and 31st, the Pistons are home on the 30th.

And there's a WWE event coming on either the 27th or 28th.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 08-28-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samboni View Post
      The C-section? LOL
      Ha I can't believe I didn't land on that one.

So it's settled then. The student section has officially been renamed.

Comment

New commitments
        Erik Bargoltz 16 year old forward from Appleton, Wisconsin for 2020. Drafted by Green Bay...

Have read on a blog, but don't see confirmation anywhere we also have a commitment from Egor/Yegor Afanasyev a 16 year old Russian forward who plays for Little Caesars. Drafted by Muskegon.

Comment

Re: Bargoltz - good looking numbers! Looking forward to commitments kept

Afanasiev, if he does materialize for MSU may be the best get for DC so far:

From the 2016 NAHL Showcase files:
          https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...rcotte-jutting

Egor Afanasiev-F-Little Caesars-Afanasiev was one of the top prospects in his age group in Russia last year, and has moved over to the US. He’s a special talent. He’s got big size and an incredible handle on the puck. He’s not super fast, but is a very smart player and the puck seems to find him. He was exciting to watch every time he took the ice.
          Last edited by owslachief; 08-28-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

The roster for 2017-18 has been published officially
            http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...ockey-mtt.html

New faces are
            Forwards: Mitch Lewandowski, Tommy Apap, Brody Stevens, David Keefer, Jake Smith, Austin Kamer and Gianluca Esteves.
            Defensemen: Tommy Miller
            Goalie: None

Also, I would be amazed if there's a younger team (at least in the Big 7) than what we have this coming season, 19 of the 25 on the roster being freshmen and sophomores.
            Last edited by owslachief; 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
              The roster for 2017-18 has been published officially
              http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...ockey-mtt.html

New faces are
              Forwards: Mitch Lewandowski, Tommy Apap, Brody Stevens, David Keefer, Jake Smith, Austin Kamer and Gianluca Esteves.
              Defensemen: Tommy Miller
              Goalie: None

Also, I would be amazed if there's a younger team (at least in the Big 7) than what we have this coming season, 19 of the 25 on the roster being freshmen and sophomores.
              I don't think that is a bad thing for the new staff. They pretty much get to start day 1 with a decent base to build from. There are some good pieces and the team should improve every year from growing older alone. I also have much greater faith in Cole's ability to develop players compared to Anastos.

With that being said it is not exactly a recipe for a fast start. Looking at this current roster I have a hard time seeing us getting out of the B1G cellar this year. I think we can maybe squeak into 5th if things go especially well.

Nevertheless, I am very excited for the season. It has been a while since I've been excited for MSU hockey in August.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                I don't think that is a bad thing for the new staff. They pretty much get to start day 1 with a decent base to build from. There are some good pieces and the team should improve every year from growing older alone. I also have much greater faith in Cole's ability to develop players compared to Anastos.

With that being said it is not exactly a recipe for a fast start. Looking at this current roster I have a hard time seeing us getting out of the B1G cellar this year. I think we can maybe squeak into 5th if things go especially well.

Nevertheless, I am very excited for the season. It has been a while since I've been excited for MSU hockey in August.
                I'll take a finish in the cellar and a bottom-3 next season, because there's a known commodity now running the program. The youth factor is tempered somewhat by the age & experience of some of the freshman ... so I wouldn't be shocked if they exceed the inevitable expertly-predicted finish either.

Comment

There are but 32 days (good heavens!) until the exhibition game. I'm curious to see what's changed, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    There are but 32 days (good heavens!) until the exhibition game. I'm curious to see what's changed, aren't you?
                    I certainly am. I feel big changes won't be evident early just due to the tight restrictions the NCAA placed on practices and time spent with coaches on the ice prior to the season. There hasn't been much scheme/X's and O's chatter this offseason so I am anxious to see if there is a noticeable difference in the way this roster will play.

Comment

• Re: I guess it's time for another Michigan State thread

Awful to read about Jeff Parker (MSU 1983-86, NHL 1986-91, dead at 53), who is a perfect example of why the NCAA is getting it right in their attitude toward contact to the head and hitting from behind.

http://www.citypages.com/news/when-t...brains-8390950.

btw this article, with Jeff as the centerpiece, is only 2 1/2 months old.
                      Last edited by owslachief; 09-12-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Very sad news about Jeff Parker. Thoughts are with his family.

Jeff was a big strong rugged winger who had a great Frozen Four in 1986, scoring a goal in both the semi-final win over Minnesota and the title game against Harvard. Parker was a true "north-south" winger who created a lot of time and space on the ice. The City Pages article is yet another in a long line of stories documenting the issue of concussions in sports. The NHL and NFL continue to hide from the medical facts and the long term damage caused to way too many athletes. Sadly once a player steps away from the game and the cheering stops, their medical issues continue and often times worsen.

While nobody forces an athlete to participate in a high contact sport like hockey (or football) the governing bodies at all levels have failed for too long to take more precautions to protect players. At the NCAA level, contact to the head is a penalty, however it is not enforced as strictly as it should. If the NCAA/NHL/NFL continue to give only casual concern for player safety, hockey and football could face very bleak futures.

R.I.P Jeff Parker

Comment

Have they gotten rid of partial ticket plans? Less than a month until the season, three weeks until the exhibition, and the Toronto game is actually on sale now, yet still no announcement for Fri/Sat or pick 'em plans.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Saw this in the Minnesota thread. Predictably, MSU is pegged as the last place team. Perhaps more interesting is that no MSU player is considered a "player to watch." While I believe guys like Osburn or Hirose could fit that category, it is fairly telling of the current opinion of MSU hockey. Every other school has at least 2 players on this list.

Originally posted by SteveO
                            Gophers picked to win their fifth Big Ten regular season title in a row and an NCAA record seventh regular season championship in a row.

2017-18 Big Ten Hockey Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. Minnesota

2. Notre Dame

3. Wisconsin

4. Penn State

5. Ohio State

6. Michigan

7. Michigan State

BIG TEN PLAYERS TO WATCH

Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan

Will Lockwood, F, Michigan

Josh Norris, F, Michigan

Ryan Lindgren, D, Minnesota

Casey Mittelstadt, F, Minnesota

Rem Pitlick, F, Minnesota

Tyler Sheehy, F, Minnesota

Jake Evans, F, Notre Dame

Jordan Gross, D, Notre Dame

Andrew Oglevie, F, Notre Dame

Mason Jobst, F, Ohio State

Matthew Weis, F, Ohio State

Peyton Jones, G, Penn State

Denis Smirnov, F, Penn State

Trent Frederic, F, Wisconsin

Kyle Hayton, G, Wisconsin

Cameron Hughes, F, Wisconsin
                            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 09-18-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Add Kyle Haskins for 2019..left shooting forward from New England.

Comment

MSU hockey alum, defenseman A.J. Sturges, is now behind the bench guiding West Virginia U's program. It's a nice arc of personal history for him, starting at a high level with US-NTDP, suffering a blow (literally) at the hands of an MSU football player after his freshman season, and working his way back to the ice over the next two seasons. In a really nice moment, he nearly bookmarked his MSU career with a goal in his final game against OSU. He excelled more in academics than on the stat sheet, but is taking his smarts and hockey knowledge to his head-coaching gig.

Congrats, A.J.!

http://www.thedaonline.com/sports/ar...768e19ff0.html
                                Last edited by owslachief; 09-22-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X