• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it's time for another Michigan State thread

• 2017-18 roster speculation
    • NHL draft talk
    • Rink improvements?
    • Imploding football program? (bring your big donor dollars across Chestnut!)

Re: I guess it's time for another Michigan State thread

I was thinking about starting one of these but wasn't sure it'd get any traffic. We tend to take summers off for the most part. I guess that's what happens when you sit through a garbage season and realize there is no reason other than blind hope that the next one will be much better. Do that cycle several times and you get what happened last year which was that I forgot about hockey season until less than a week before the first game.

I think the coaching change is big for everyone's state of mind. I'm not sure a coaching staff has ever lost everyone's confidence quite like the Anastos regime. That felt hopeless.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
      I believe Jake Smith is also part of the class...and Brody Stevens is still showing on twitter he expects to be here in the fall.

This could be it unless there is a surprise add or someone leaves.
      Goalies - Minnie, Lethemon, Wright
      Dmen - Osburn, Gatt, Rosburg, Eliot, T. Miller, Farmer, Ghafari, Chrek, Scarsella
      Forward - Saliba, Appleton, Hirosi, Khoderenko, Lambdin, Milan, Sanford, Pavelek, Kamer, Lewandowski, Keefer, J. Smith, Stevens

Heavy on dmen so no reason for Apap this year unless Someone leaves this summer. Only one extra forward, but MSU could get by.
      I'll paste this one from the old thread to keep discussion going.

It does seem we have one too many D-men and could use one more forward. I guess a good issue to have on the blue line as opposed to two years ago where it looked like we might have to throw traffic cones out there.

Ryan Bederka, a D-man, is also still listed as an MSU recruit for next year.

I believe we should also be expecting a final draft of the schedule soon. Usually early June, is it?
      Last edited by Pirateasaur; 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what Cole does with this roster.. I like the skill level of our d-core this upcoming year. Any idea if Cole's system involves the d-men a lot more in the offense? I know he said he would adapt to the players he has on the roster rather then try to fit a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
          It will be interesting to see what Cole does with this roster.. I like the skill level of our d-core this upcoming year. Any idea if Cole's system involves the d-men a lot more in the offense? I know he said he would adapt to the players he has on the roster rather then try to fit a square peg into a round hole, so to speak.
          Danton made a lot of some decent puck-moving D here. I think that a lot of that was the influence of Luongo. I'd say that you'll be fine.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            • 2017-18 roster speculation
            • NHL draft talk
            • Rink improvements?
            • Imploding football program? (bring your big donor dollars across Chestnut!)
            Tommy Miller is at the NHL Combine. Today is the last day.

Comment

We've got two non-con slots left. Only free weekends are October 6-7, 20-21, and January 26-27. 6-7 is Michigan football weekend, but at Michigan. 20-21 is homecoming weekend so Saturday is out with football at home against Indiana.

If we have a road series left it could be any of those. If it's home then the 20-21 would be a Thurs-Fri or Fri-Sun.

Looking more and more like it'll be filled with an Atlantic Hockey team, but there could be a home and home with WMU as they have the 20-21 open.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                We've got two non-con slots left. Only free weekends are October 6-7, 20-21, and January 26-27. 6-7 is Michigan football weekend, but at Michigan. 20-21 is homecoming weekend so Saturday is out with football at home against Indiana.

If we have a road series left it could be any of those. If it's home then the 20-21 would be a Thurs-Fri or Fri-Sun.

Looking more and more like it'll be filled with an Atlantic Hockey team, but there could be a home and home with WMU as they have the 20-21 open.
                New Hampshire, Northeastern, Merrimack, and Connecticut are also possible from Hockey East...a league we usually have a series with.

Comment

Joe Cox earns B1G Outstanding Sportsmanship Award

Quality all-around person. If you ever met the guy it's no surprise to see him get this.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                    Joe Cox earns B1G Outstanding Sportsmanship Award

Quality all-around person. If you ever met the guy it's no surprise to see him get this.
                    Cox solidified his spot as my favorite Spartan a couple years ago when he had one of the best penalty killing shifts I've ever seen in a game against PSU. Had I believe 3 huge shot blocks, the first of which hobbled him.

Comment

Danton Cole and Doc Emrick present another try at the "New Munn Front Door."
                      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Hope it works out. I fear that well is bone dry after nearly a decade long drought of any success. Cole is going to have to get some wins first.
                        Last edited by Pirateasaur; 06-09-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Yesterday marked one year since the passing of Spartan legend Ron Mason. Still hard to believe.
                          "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                            Yesterday marked one year since the passing of Spartan legend Ron Mason. Still hard to believe.
                            In happier former coach news, NMU has named their ice sheet after Coach Comley. That's pretty neat.
                            http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/sports/NMU-names-hockey-rink-for-Rick-Comley-428467213.html

I think it is only a matter of time before MSU does the same thing with Coach Mason

Comment

With ASU no longer interested in WCHA membership, I wonder if they would come our way and vie to make B1G an even 8 schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X