• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    For you...anything.

I've been quite busy, and I'm still waiting on Shirtless Guy for Michigan Tech's summary. Once I have that, I should be good to go for the Top 20.

Shirtless Guy, if you already sent Tech's summary, please accept my apologies and resend. Thanks.
    I have not completed that yet, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
    FS23, please come back and finish. Thanks for the list!
    For you...anything.

I've been quite busy, and I'm still waiting on Shirtless Guy for Michigan Tech's summary. Once I have that, I should be good to go for the Top 20.

Shirtless Guy, if you already sent Tech's summary, please accept my apologies and resend. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• bucky15
    replied

#21 – Northern Michigan Wildcats
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0382 (Rank: 50)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.2406 (Rank: 52)
    Last Season Ranking: #21

Northern Michigan had a disappointing season, finishing eighth in the WCHA, barely making the playoffs. If it wasn’t for the brilliance of Atte Tolvanen (Sophomore Goaltender) and his shutout streak of 339:05, which was part of a 7-1-2 stretch to start 2017, the Wildcats likely would have missed the playoffs. After the season, head coach Walt Kyle was fired and eventually replaced by long time Minnesota assistant, Grant Potulny as the third coach in program history.

Potulny got to work quickly hiring new assistants and revamping the 2017 recruiting class with four new recruits since his hire in April. The Wildcats lose All-WCHA Third Team forward Dominik Shine but return the previously mentioned Tolvanen as well as All-Rookie forward Darien Craighead. NMU has an uphill battle but the administration certainly made a splash with hiring Potulny and it’s likely to pay dividends in the future. – Shirtless Guy
    FS23, please come back and finish. Thanks for the list!

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#21 – Northern Michigan Wildcats
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0382 (Rank: 50)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 0.2406 (Rank: 52)
    Last Season Ranking: #21

Northern Michigan had a disappointing season, finishing eighth in the WCHA, barely making the playoffs. If it wasn’t for the brilliance of Atte Tolvanen (Sophomore Goaltender) and his shutout streak of 339:05, which was part of a 7-1-2 stretch to start 2017, the Wildcats likely would have missed the playoffs. After the season, head coach Walt Kyle was fired and eventually replaced by long time Minnesota assistant, Grant Potulny as the third coach in program history.

Potulny got to work quickly hiring new assistants and revamping the 2017 recruiting class with four new recruits since his hire in April. The Wildcats lose All-WCHA Third Team forward Dominik Shine but return the previously mentioned Tolvanen as well as All-Rookie forward Darien Craighead. NMU has an uphill battle but the administration certainly made a splash with hiring Potulny and it’s likely to pay dividends in the future. – Shirtless Guy

Leave a comment:

• altazo
    replied
    Originally posted by drshoen View Post
    Hard to tell; I haven't heard anyone say it isn't going to happen, but I haven't seen anything official saying it was happening either. Just thought it would be good to have both versions of "the truth" out there - you can pick whichever version you like
    Surely, summer school has ended at St. Lawrence by this point? Should be pretty easy to figure out if Hayton has completed his degree there or not.

Leave a comment:

• drshoen
    replied

My bad. I thought Hayton to Wisconsin was a done deal once he graduates this summer?
    Hard to tell; I haven't heard anyone say it isn't going to happen, but I haven't seen anything official saying it was happening either. Just thought it would be good to have both versions of "the truth" out there - you can pick whichever version you like

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#22 – Yale Bulldogs
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.0183 (Rank: 40)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 42.4446 (Rank: 5)
    Last Season Ranking: #22

The Bulldogs finished below .500 for the first time in a decade in 2016-17. Yale finished in 8th in the ECAC, and beat Dartmouth at home before losing to Harvard in round 2 of the ECAC tournament.

Yale loses 6 to graduation, including one goaltender and 3 of the top 6 in scoring from 2016-17. Sophomore Sam Tucker is the lone returning goaltender, and top scorer and classmate Joe Snively also returns. The Bulldogs will hope that their time spent below .500 is limited to one season, and that they can advance farther in the ECAC tournament in 2017-18. – drshoen

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

Originally posted by drshoen View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, here's the paragraph 2 I originally wrote - if Hayton doesn't leave, as has been rumored...

The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. Goaltender Kyle Hayton also returns for one more season. With better injury luck, and continued good play, the Saints hope to get farther in the ECAC tournament and return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade.
    My bad. I thought Hayton to Wisconsin was a done deal once he graduates this summer?

Leave a comment:

• drshoen
    replied

#23 – St. Lawrence Saints
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5174 (Rank: 23)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 4.6656 (Rank: 26)
    Last Season Ranking: #23

The Saints had their third consecutive season over .500, finishing 4th in the ECAC before losing to Quinnipiac at home in three games. St. Lawrence suffered through a significant number of injuries during the season and struggled down the stretch, winning only 1 of the last 6 games in the regular season.

The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. The more significant loss is goaltender Kyle Hayton, who is leaving after three years. Arthur Brey played 4 games in net for the Saints in 2016-17, and becomes the incumbent. With Hayton and Bayreuther gone, it becomes difficult to imagine that the Saints will get farther in the ECAC tournament or return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade. – drshoen
    In the interest of full disclosure, here's the paragraph 2 I originally wrote - if Hayton doesn't leave, as has been rumored...

The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. Goaltender Kyle Hayton also returns for one more season. With better injury luck, and continued good play, the Saints hope to get farther in the ECAC tournament and return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade.

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#23 – St. Lawrence Saints
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.5174 (Rank: 23)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 4.6656 (Rank: 26)
    Last Season Ranking: #23

The Saints had their third consecutive season over .500, finishing 4th in the ECAC before losing to Quinnipiac at home in three games. St. Lawrence suffered through a significant number of injuries during the season and struggled down the stretch, winning only 1 of the last 6 games in the regular season.

The Saints leading scorer Gavin Bayreuther graduates, but the 7 scorers behind him all return. The more significant loss is goaltender Kyle Hayton, who is leaving after three years. Arthur Brey played 4 games in net for the Saints in 2016-17, and becomes the incumbent. With Hayton and Bayreuther gone, it becomes difficult to imagine that the Saints will get farther in the ECAC tournament or return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade. – drshoen

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#24 – Union Dutchmen
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 4.2713 (Rank: 6)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 51.972 (Rank: 3)
    Last Season Ranking: #24

The Dutchmen returned to the NCAA tournament this year, though they lost badly in the first round, 10-3 to Penn State. Union was expected to be a middle-of-the-pack team in ECAC play, but finished tied for 1st. Union beat Princeton in the second round of the ECAC tournament, then lost to Cornell in Lake Placid.

Including 2 juniors leaving early, Union loses 8 players, including their starting goaltender and top 2 scorers on the season (and Hobey Baker finalist Mike Vecchione. Nearly 50% of the teams scoring does not return in 2017-18. Union did surprisingly well in 2016-17, and hopes to do the same in 2017-18. – drshoen

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#25 – Miami Redhawks
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: -0.0175 (Rank: 47)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 6.1082 (Rank: 21)
    Last Season Ranking: #25

It was a tough season for the Redhawks. They finished with a 9-20-7 record, ending the season 0-9-1. It was their worst season since ‘90 –’91 when they went 5-29-3 under second year coach George Gwozdecky. Their 7th place finish was the lowest since they joined the NCHC. ’17-’18 looks like it will be another challenging season with 18 underclassmen. – Siouxfaninseattle

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#26 – Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 4.4902 (Rank: 5)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 8.3792 (Rank: 17)
    Last Season Ranking: #27

They’re gone!!! Notre Dame has officially joined the BI7 conference as an associate member and left Hockey East with no hardware to show. With that said Notre Dame had an incredibly successful season in their final year in Hockey East, finishing 1 point behind the three way tie for first (some may wonder what would have happened if the Zamboni did not break down at Matthews Arena in December, many Hockey East fans will point to it as an act of the Hockey Gods). While Notre Dame had an incredibly successful season by any standards, in the end this season may be looked back on as one where they always finished one (or two) step(s) away from the real hardware. A midseason loss to UMass served as the difference between Notre Dame winning Hockey East outright in their last season, or finishing in the fourth place spot that lined them up at the Garden with Lowell. A successful sweep of NCAA tournament team Providence in the Hockey East Quarterfinals was a highlight for the season, but the 5-1 drubbing at the hands of the River Hawks ended their chance at any conference hardware in the East. In the NCAA tournament an OT comeback win over Lowell sent the Irish to Chicago and the Frozen Four, where they were taken to the woodshed by eventual National Champs Denver. Notre Dame now moves to the Big Ten (7) where they will hope to recover from the huge losses of Anders Bjork (Hobey top 10 member) and Cal Peterson (Richter nominee). With these losses, along with joining a new conference ND will be fighting for a bid in the NCAAs next season. – UML Puck Hawk

Leave a comment:

• Fighting Sioux 23
    replied

#27 – Quinnipiac Bobcats
    Points Earned in 2016-2017: 0.2796 (Rank: 26)
    Points Earned in Past Five Seasons: 40.9317 (Rank: 6)
    Last Season Ranking: #26

The Bobcats finished their 18th season as a Division I program, and have still not finished below .500 overall. Quinnipiac finished 5th in the ECAC this season, beat Brown at home in a sweep, then beat St. Lawrence in the second round in three games. The season ended in Lake Placid against ECAC champs Harvard. For the first time in 5 seasons, however, the Bobcats did not qualify for the NCAA tournament.

Quinnipiac has 8 graduating seniors, including 1 of their goaltenders; however the top 4 scorers return, and freshman Andrew Shortridge finished with a 2.08 GAA and .920 SV%. The Bobcats will look to have a 19th season above .500, a return to Lake Placid, and a return to the national tourney in 2017-18. – drshoen

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    Where can we find a recap, #60-#28?
    Page down

Leave a comment:

Working...
X