Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Denver at North Dakota: Big Rivalry, Big Weekend

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
    Gwoz's team walked all over the Sioux this weekend eh?
    Yep, unfortunately there weren't any dasher dances or donnybrooks to talk about. No discussion of wardrobes or antics of any kind. Just hockey for the most part.
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      With all due respect to Brad, I don't think it's age or injuries that have lead to these recent struggles. It's the team's play, or more particularly, it's lack of success on the power play that is the cause.

The Sioux are 1-8-1 in games in which they are held scoreless with the man advantage. The one blip was the Cornell game.

On the other hand, they are 12-2-4 in games in which they score on the power play. The two losses were games in which UND ran up against an even more potent pp (the penalty fiasco at DU and the second game against Wisconsin).

Even more significant is the role those pp goals played.

Seven times it was the GWG. In two of the tie games, it was the game tying goal.

Numerous times a pp goal changed a two goal margin to three goals, essentially putting the game out of reach.

Last night UND had a numerous chances to stretch the two goal lead to three, on the pp, but failed. That may have been the difference.

It's a good pp team. Granted, it was better with Hextall in the lineup, and even more dangerous with Genoway. But there are plenty of talented players who should be able to capitalize with a man advantage, no matter their age.

I'm glad the pp slump is occurring now, rather than in March. I have confidence Hak and the staff will get it figured out.
      I still think the law of averages will catch up eventually, and I believe some of the PP will start yielding goals, I have seen some good shots on the power play the last two weekends that didn't go in. Both teams UND played colaspe around the net very well and take away the passing lanes very well, also both teams have top ten goaltenders backing up the penalty kill.
      Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
        There seems to be a lot of Gopher fans concerned about where UND is ranked in the national rankings. It's not the Sioux fans fault that our team is ranked, I blame the hockey writers. Most of us know that these rankings at this point in the season mean nothing. Seriously, the only thing that matters is that UND is a bubble NCAA team, and could go either way. The Gophers not so much.

I could not care less where the Sioux are ranked. Furthermore, I never blamed Sioux fans for the rankings. I simply asked if UND fans thought the rankings were legitimate or not. A very simple question which was answered already by three or four Sioux posters without incident, but most obviously offended your delicate sensibilities. You need to take a deep breath, settle down and try reading a post.

By the way, nice shot on the Gophers not being an NCAA team this year Captain Obvious. Most Gopher fans have know that since about the 3rd weekend of the season. Maybe next time you could try something with 7 in it.
        Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
        NFL Min
        MLB NYM, Min
        NHL Min, Dal
        NCAAB Min, Baylor
        NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
        Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by GOPHER FREAK View Post
          I could not care less where the Sioux are ranked. Furthermore, I never blamed Sioux fans for the rankings. I simply asked if UND fans thought the rankings were legitimate or not. A very simple question which was answered already by three or four Sioux posters without incident, but most obviously offended your delicate sensibilities. You need to take a deep breath, settle down and try reading a post.

By the way, nice shot on the Gophers not being an NCAA team this year Captain Obvious. Most Gopher fans have know that since about the 3rd weekend of the season. Maybe next time you could try something with 7 in it.
          Holy Cow talk about touchy. Let me fix my post.
          There seems to be a lot of Gopher fans concerned about where UND is ranked in the national rankings. It's not the Sioux fans fault that our team is ranked, I blame the hockey writers. Most of us know that these rankings at this point in the season mean nothing. Seriously, the only thing that matters is that UND is a bubble NCAA team, and could go either way. The Gophers not so much.
          Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            Good observations. I am convinced that with the huge developmental leaps in goaltending and team defensive systems that have really negated 5 on 5 scoring in recent years, success on special teams IS the differentiating factor in team success. UND may have a sputtering power play without Genoway, but I also think Denver's PK is the best component part of the Pios' overall game, in part to Cheverie and in part to do the quick forwards up top with active sticks and shot blocking. Had UND been up against an average PK, they probably would have had 3 or 4 PPGs this last weekend. UND's puck movement was good, shot selection was good and creativity was fine. What they lacked was a strong crease presence, the play reading ability of Genoway to pick the right option aganst Denver's rotations and overloads and a tendency to over-look for pretty backdoor plays.
            Denver's PK was awesome. They were all over the sioux. UND's PK was pretty good too. All the penalty killers from both teams just flat outworked the powerplay units.

UND is struggling to score goals. They may not end up with 1 20 goal scorer this year which is pathetic. The goaltending is not going to hold them in games against the teams with gifted goal scorers. They have no chance trying to beat a team like denver 1 or 2 to zero. It just isn't going to happen.

Denver got a picture perfect road win on friday night and a great come from behind win on saturday. Chevy is really really sound. It's no wonder the sioux couldnt score on him. There were never any gaps for the puck to go in. He played about as perfectly as a goalie could. When he drops into the butterfly and slides side to side there is no five-hole, there is nothing. He is a wall.

I have no idea what will fix UND's goal scoring problems but they better figure it out soon!

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              With all due respect to Brad, I don't think it's age or injuries that have lead to these recent struggles. It's the team's play, or more particularily, it's lack of success on the power play that is the cause.
              I think age and experience is definitely a factor. The kids have lots of energy & hustle. But the Sioux PP shows less patience than earlier this year. I hate watching a team pass around the perimiter forever, but the Sioux seem kinda quick to shoot, and mostly into the body. They shoot when everyone knows they're going to shoot. They don't often make the extra 'unexpected' pass like Genoway (or Duncan) did when the defense converged on them. And this tendencey seems to get worse the more frustrated they get. I think that's one big element that senior experience brings.

Comment

Originally posted by bik4u62 View Post
                I think age and experience is definitely a factor. The kids have lots of energy & hustle. But the Sioux PP shows less patience than earlier this year. I hate watching a team pass around the perimiter forever, but the Sioux seem kinda quick to shoot, and mostly into the body. They shoot when everyone knows they're going to shoot. They don't often make the extra 'unexpected' pass like Genoway (or Duncan) did when the defense converged on them. And this tendencey seems to get worse the more frustrated they get. I think that's one big element that senior experience brings.
                It's not just age. The juniors and seniors are very talented. At the rate they are scoring only 1 may have 15 goals this year. They all need to score 15 goals this year or UND will go nowhere.

Comment

I have heard mention of an incident when the DU bus arrived at the Ralph Englestad Arena. Of course no where have I heard/read it mentioned except by DU fans. Did something happen?
                  Eric's Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
                    I have heard mention of an incident when the DU bus arrived at the Ralph Englestad Arena. Of course no where have I heard/read it mentioned except by DU fans. Did something happen?
                    I think we confirmed that it was a just a rumor. Some DU fan said they were texted a message. It was probably a joke that got lost in translation.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                      I think we confirmed that it was a just a rumor. Some DU fan said they were texted a message. It was probably a joke that got lost in translation.
                      No, no. I'm sure the entire UND Team lead by Davey the Middle Finger and Brett the Bastard Child attempted to assault the Pioneers. Luckily St. George the Merciful was able to fend off the attackers with only his wit, suitcase full of ties and contagious smile.
                      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        No, no. I'm sure the entire UND Team lead by Davey the Middle Finger and Brett the Bastard Child attempted to assault the Pioneers. Luckily St. George the Merciful was able to fend off the attackers with only his wit, suitcase full of ties and contagious smile.
                        You sure George didn't use the broom used to SWEEP the Sioux?

Comment

All of the goals this weekend were awesome plays. UND may have struggled to score, but the 2nd goal was especially fun to watch as a hockey fan, if not a DU fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBvtQuVMPD4
                          University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                          Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                            Gotcha.
                            Eric's Twitter

Comment

We are so over rated right now its hard to fathom where these votes are coming from. We should be tied with UM off the top 20 with 6 votes, and I just cancelled my hotel reservations in st paul. Its going to be a long summer.
                              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
                              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
                              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                                I just cancelled my hotel reservations in st paul.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X