• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Denver at North Dakota: Big Rivalry, Big Weekend

Originally posted by PCM View Post
    I highly recommend these.

*****http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11545572856523_2081_745431******
    Get with the times, PCM.

What's really required are broomball shoes. These employ the "suction" devices on the bottom to aide in dance moves and prevent unexpected slips and falls.

*****http://www.broomball.com/ecomm/img/lg/9.jpg******
    Last edited by Mike Rane; 01-27-2010, 10:11 AM.
    'If a man wants to eat fried chicken, he's gotta get greasy.' - Kenny Rogers

Fighting Sioux Hockey: Highest NCAA Playoff Winning Percentage

There's no more pompous group of sports fans in the Twin Cities than hardcore followers of Gophers men's hockey. That makes it quite entertaining to see them in full pout after an unexpected elimination from the NCAA tournament. - Reusse

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rane View Post
      Get with the times, Swami.
      I'm the one not with the times...not that anyone's surprised by that.
      Who decided that we needed both North and South Dakota? It seems like a lot of wasted paperwork to me. -- Creed Bratton

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Grabbing one of Bertagna's points:

They can't believe the ref called it.

That tells me that the ref isn't being consistent.

No consistency ==> No control ==> No credibility and no professionalism.
        Talking with some refs in the past couple seasons, and asking about a couple calls and why they called it as such, I remember one instance where some thought it was a CFB, and others thought it was a simple roughing (it was called roughing). The reason? The victim's head was up, not down.

So, taking from that, along with some of the other reasons they called/didn't call a penalty, something that simple/minute was the difference in a player being ejected or serving two minutes.

Now, repeat those minute differences for 60 minutes, along with the speed of the game, the style of play (a UND/MN series is more physical than say, a Tech/SCSU game), etc, inconsistency becomes more apparent.

I'm not defending the refs 100%, because they do make mistakes, they are human after all, but many (if not most) have legitimate reasons for calling what they call most of the time.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

One more mini-rant/observation:

Don't forget that it was on the heels of DU's national championship that the NCAA called for an end to interference and an end to situational officiating. (It was criticism of the NCAA's action that caused Bertagna to write his column.)

So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a Disciple of Gwoz would prefer "the perception of fairness" to true fairness.
          Please explain why "home" teams get one extra power play on average per game. NHL, WCHA, Major Juniors, it doesn't matter. The crowds influence the referees and they make calls accordingly.

You really need to start reading some hockey referee blogs. All the things that Swami talks about are out there. The great referees let the game dictate their style of refereeing and the make adjustments.

When you compared a baseball strike zone to any given hockey play you unwittingly proved Swami's point. A strike zone is a two dimensional situation, while on any given moment on the ice there are two or more players to watch, a puck, multiple sticks, blue lines, goal lines & goal creases to keep track of. Plus every single player out there is trying to "cheat" the rules to the degree that they can get away with it.
          From The Hockey Referee Blog

"I am just saying it is human nature, and if you try to combat this by being a 100% "Book" Referee, you will not go very far. "Book" referees are the strict disciplinarians who call everything right by the book. These guys are told they have "no feel" for the game. I agree. A "Book" Referee can be good...but...he will never be great."
          Last edited by dggoddard; 01-26-2010, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I wonder what the over and under of Gwoz doing a dasher dance this weekend? Maybe we will see Gwoz stroll across the ice this weekend.

Also, I would love to see Todd Anderson ref these weekend's games, it only seems fitting. Gwoz seems to love Anderson’s officiating and when ever the two are together it does play out in some good theater.

If Anderson refs there will be both a dasher dance or two and a stroll across the ice and your classic Donnybrook...
            Last edited by Goon; 01-26-2010, 10:06 PM.
            Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
            Eric's Twitter
            The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

I forgot to put in my daily "Go Sioux"
              Application for Admission to the WCHA:
              http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7...apkin_0717.htm

Fighting Sioux
              Michigan Tech Huskies

*I refuse to participate in the Boosh Factor.*

Originally posted by SiouxTechie
              Good morning, Lodge. I thought the soap opera was cancelled due to lack of interest?

(See what I did there?)
              Originally posted by GreatLakerMohawk
              All that petty whining from the boys and ST comes in and buries it.

Comment

dgoddard: Using a blog as a definitive reference? I thought Wikipedia was the gold-standard.

Do refs see everything that happens on the ice? No. Can't. They're human.

But why was a second ref put out onto the college ice? To see more, and not just to observe, analyze, consider, put into context, and ponder the relativity of, but to call.

Once you start letting "relativism" into the officiating, how will we know when it was a "judgement call" or if someone had ten C-notes on it with "Vinny Da Book" down on the corner? (See: N.B.A.)
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

dgoddard: Using a blog as a definitive reference? I thought Wikipedia was the gold-standard.
                  I don't see a problem with this.

Sioux Split. Gwoz does the Charleston.
                  Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                  when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                  Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Do refs see everything that happens on the ice? No. Can't. They're human.

But why was a second ref put out onto the college ice? To see more, and not just to observe, analyze, consider, put into context, and ponder the relativity of, but to call.

Once you start letting "relativism" into the officiating, how will we know when it was a "judgement call" or if someone had ten C-notes on it with "Vinny Da Book" down on the corner? (See: N.B.A.)
                    The second ref should slow down the "make up calls." But lets face it, there are certain times in a game when most fans will say, "The next call will be on Team X" and be right 90% of the time.

All these WCHA refs in the offensive zone sure clogs things up. Refs are getting hit with pucks and running into players all the time this season. Last weekend in Sconnie a DU player on a breakaway was run into by a ref. They should have thrown the ref in the Penalty Box for interference.

DU Sweeps: Sioux supporters adhere to new "Fan Code Of Conduct"
                    Last edited by dggoddard; 01-27-2010, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Re: Denver at North Dakota: Big Rivalry, Big Weekend

I have a solution for too many zebras on the ice, but it involves ... {gasp! <-- that's for dramatic effect} ... technology.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        DU Sweeps: Sioux supporters adhere to new "Fan Code Of Conduct"
                        Ha. I don't adhere to the so-called "wearing pants in public rule", so I fail to see why I should adhere to this code of conduct crap.

Sioux Split. Gwoz Sambas.
                        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Question: if George takes a spill while he's doing the cha-cha on the ice, if another coach jumps off the bench to help him up, does that coach get kicked out too?
                          Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
                            Question: if George takes a spill while he's doing the cha-cha on the ice, if another coach jumps off the bench to help him up, does that coach get kicked out too?
                            Was George dancing alone or with a partner?
                            With a partner would make the one coming off the bench third one in.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I really hate to do this during the week when DU plays the fighting sue, i.e. say something nice about North Dakota.

But, I just read the article in SI online about the Lamoureux clan. One thing I gleaned was that Mom, Linda, may be the best athlete of them all. Pretty amazing family.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...06/1/index.htm
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

I hear "Dancing With The Stars" has requested DG's video from last season's march across the ice to see if Gwoz is worthy enough to be on next season. Would be a great way to bring more publicity to DU and college hockey.

DU Game Notes as well as links to UND Game Notes and WCHA Weekly Release.
                                Last edited by du78; 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM.
                                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Working...
                                X