• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ralph Baer
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    Well, four years of bad jokes yet to come and none will be as bad as this.
    Do you want to bet?

Leave a comment:

• jericho
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Did you ask if he has brother named Potsdam?

Well, four years of bad jokes yet to come and none will be as bad as this.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
    Other notes from the golf outing (one week late):
    -Told Troy to enjoy four years of bad jokes. Both him and some of his teammates joked about him thinking of changing his middle name to "New"
    Did you ask if he has brother named Potsdam?
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-20-2017, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 20 August 2017. There are 41 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• hawthr
    replied

Other notes from the golf outing (one week late):
    -Told Troy to enjoy four years of bad jokes. Both him and some of his teammates joked about him thinking of changing his middle name to "New"
    -Coach's wife is very nice, had a chance to chat with her at the putting contest. She started last week as a professor in the Cognitive Science department at RPI.
    -Attendance was light, which was to be expected given the pricing increased, last year was pretty terrible on ice, and of course a new coach. Overall, 28 groups this year, with several not filled out (mine included). The day itself was perfect, and honestly with it being less crowded than in years past there was much less waiting on the course and made for a much smoother event.
    -Coach is pretty friendly and easy to talk to. A little more reserved than Seth, but nothing wrong with that. He was really excited for the team trip to Ontario and spending four days on an island with the team.
    -Evan jokingly introduced himself as a 'sophomore-junior-senior' during dinner. He did talk about being here for three more years (counting this year) while on the course.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 19 August 2017. There are 42 days (6 weeks) until RPI's next game.

Leave a comment:

• turk181
    replied

Of course Willy (Reilly?) isn't going to say that he is slow, even if he is. One always wonders why players are available as late as when we recruited him.
    That would be Jared Wilson.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Scouts don't necessarily see the potential immediately, and the classes of other schools are already filled in. There are plenty of "first round picks" that turn out to be busts, and plenty of free agents whose persistence pays off. Insert Forrest Gump quote here.
    I agree but the correlation coefficient is definitely positive. (I.e. first round picks are usually better than free agents.)

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied

Of course Willy (Reilly?) isn't going to say that he is slow, even if he is. One always wonders why players are available as late as when we recruited him.
    Based solely on his stats Burke seems to be a bit of a late bloomer, which is not uncommon for larger players. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I remember watching Zdeno Chara (an extremely large player) in is his early days with the Islanders and wondering what they saw in him (other than a booming slap shot when he hit it correctly). Now, of course, he's a guaranteed hall of famer and my days as a hockey scout are long over.
    Last edited by rpi82; 08-18-2017, 10:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Scouts don't necessarily see the potential immediately, and the classes of other schools are already filled in. There are plenty of "first round picks" that turn out to be busts, and plenty of free agents whose persistence pays off. Insert Forrest Gump quote here.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
    I don’t know if it’s just a player talking up a team mate but when I asked “Willy” if Burke was more than just a big body he said, he’s got wheels for sure and I wouldn’t want to get in front of him.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 18 August 2017. There are 43 days until RPI's next game.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-18-2017, 11:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• turk181
    replied

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    I've been looking at Burke as a candidate for my new favorite player. A big guy that crashes the front of the net and sets up shop draws the defense back and should open up space for some of our smaller, shiftier players. It will be interesting to see if he has enough speed to hold up his end in the other zones. I'm looking forward to seeing the first line chart.
    I don’t know if it’s just a player talking up a team mate but when I asked “Willy” if Burke was more than just a big body he said, he’s got wheels for sure and I wouldn’t want to get in front of him.

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Random observations: Burke is an extremely large individual ...can't wait to see him in pads. If he plays with the edge he's reported to have, he's gonna be a handful in front of the net. Ditto for Linden Marshall. He is a big boy - stockier than Perry - NHL big. He crushed a tee shot about 310 yards for us in bare feet, so I like him already!!
    I've been looking at Burke as a candidate for my new favorite player. A big guy that crashes the front of the net and sets up shop draws the defense back and should open up space for some of our smaller, shiftier players. It will be interesting to see if he has enough speed to hold up his end in the other zones. I'm looking forward to seeing the first line chart.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Jenny has been talking about us driving to Troy for a couple of games this year. We may also be driving up to Glens Falls to attend a few games. Hopefully we can meet up at some time.
    Give us a heads up on which games you will be coming to, and if at all possible I will make the trip to HFH myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X