• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlagDUDE08
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    I am all in favor of continuing the Autism awareness game. I would note the game last season did not meet the expectations of a game expected to take these folks into consideration. The time keeper hit the horn more than a few times and the place was overall noisier than it should have been. The goal is to reduce the level of stimulation so people in the autistic spectrum can feel comfortable attending these games. It seemed in last season's game, the attention to adhering to the goals was secondary. We can and should do better.
    As much the venue is attempting to be as accommodating as possible, there's only so much that can be done. There wasn't piped or band-played music (aside from anthems). There wasn't a goal horn. The PA system wasn't as loud. Those are things you can control, while remaining within the confines of NCAA rules and not disrupting the general flow of the game. There has to be a clock horn, along with a backup, as per rule 4.1. They need that to signal the end of the period, as well as get the referee's attention when there's a problem, the latter of which I'm sure you're referring to. You're going to have people attend the game (otherwise how do you raise money for autism awareness), and they're going to cheer and/or jeer; you're not going to haul them out for making a loud noise. At least one anthem must happen, as per rule 82. Aside from protocol because the game comes first, they did everything they could and made it a nice environment.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 17 June 2017. There are 105 days (15 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Blog post by Ken Schott about Jewell:
    https://dailygazette.com/blogs/parti...ssistant-coach
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-16-2017, 09:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 25+years
    replied

I am all in favor of continuing the Autism awareness game. I would note the game last season did not meet the expectations of a game expected to take these folks into consideration. The time keeper hit the horn more than a few times and the place was overall noisier than it should have been. The goal is to reduce the level of stimulation so people in the autistic spectrum can feel comfortable attending these games. It seemed in last season's game, the attention to adhering to the goals was secondary. We can and should do better.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
    I’m not sure I’ld call it a tradition Waite. It was the work of SA & Aspy so maybe Aspy could shed some light on the subject, i.e. the future of the game.
    Traditions have to start somewhere. Although it's very much a community service thing, which is something Appert was very big on, and is a bit of an unknown with Smith. I know AspyDad was a bit disappointed with the coaching selection process on here and is really one of the heavy backers behind raising awareness of this issue we see so prevalently these days, not to mention this year's schedule seems a bit unbalanced that we wouldn't know of a good place to put the game (it'd be interesting if they put it on the CCT game, but given it's premium they probably won't; would probably instead pick one of the Maine games).

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

It's also too bad we have another 5 games in 2 weekends situation. Unfortunately, I believe Harvard's finals are the week of 11 December, so they need to have that weekend off. Probably same for us, too, although our reading days will probably begin on the same day, with finals starting on the 13th (assuming nothing funky was done with the schedule again), so we can sometimes fit in a weekend of games.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Someone needs to fix his copy/paste...
    Oops!

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Today is 16 June 2017. There are 107 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
    Someone needs to fix his copy/paste...

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

It sucks that there's no home game for almost all of October (just the Union home/home). That's the way the chips fall, I guess. Hopefully Smith has some good ideas to balance it out.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 16 June 2017. There are 106 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 06-16-2017, 05:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• turk181
    replied

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    Looking at the new schedule, I see no home game labeled as Autism Night.

I might be about to get some people really upset at me for suggesting it, but I wonder if Coach Smith did some pushing back when he was informed that it had become somewhat of a tradition for RPI to give up a considerable portion of its home ice advantage (in the form of the band, the goal horns, and loud, enthusiastic cheering) in one game per year.

Maybe he'd be willing to reinstitute the tradition if we could get the team that comes to Troy for Autism Night to agree to hold its own Autism Night when RPI goes to visit them.
    I’m not sure I’ld call it a tradition Waite. It was the work of SA & Aspy so maybe Aspy could shed some light on the subject, i.e. the future of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Waite21
    replied

Looking at the new schedule, I see no home game labeled as Autism Night.

I might be about to get some people really upset at me for suggesting it, but I wonder if Coach Smith did some pushing back when he was informed that it had become somewhat of a tradition for RPI to give up a considerable portion of its home ice advantage (in the form of the band, the goal horns, and loud, enthusiastic cheering) in one game per year.

Maybe he'd be willing to reinstitute the tradition if we could get the team that comes to Troy for Autism Night to agree to hold its own Autism Night when RPI goes to visit them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X