X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
    Hackett is not coming back. Perry, Marshall and St Denis are the goaltenders right now for next year.
    I thought more about this. Do you know as a fact that Marshall will be playing at RPI?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      As for Mr. Smith, he may need time to understand what kind of team he has.
      I know that the NCAA has rules about coaches contact with players during the off season, but is he allowed to view tapes and have interviews with the players?
      He needs to be prepared for what ever. I don't know what to expect this year, but I look forward to a new beginning at RPI.
      My understanding is that he can't be at practice sessions with a lot of players. He is limited to supervising about 5 players (see the short practice videos which Coach Smith posted). Flaggie probably can quote the exact rule.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        My understanding is that he can't be at practice sessions with a lot of players. He is limited to supervising about 5 players (see the short practice videos which Coach Smith posted). Flaggie probably can quote the exact rule.
        What am I, the guy from that Dodgeball movie that walks around with the rule book and somehow each situation just happens to come up?!

17.02.18 gives the definition of "Voluntary Athletically Related Activities", which is what these "Captain's Practices" would be. Attendance is optional (although I'm sure there's some peer pressure involved), the staff can give information on where the voluntary activities can be facilitated but can't make personnel decisions based on those practices, and they can't record the activity and give it to the staff. I see nothing about the coaches not being able to observe if dates are volunteered to them, but I don't know if slipping the coach on an e-mail would be construed as "required reporting", which is not allowed at all.

Comment

That's the way it works in basketball. The coaches are limited to working with small groups of players for a designated amount of time for off-season skills training.

Comment

Info about Ireland trip next season http://alumni.rpi.edu/controls/email...5-e839b217d6a7.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm certain Coach Smith has viewed a ton of tape,has spoken to the players, and has talked a lot with the AC. He also has his own coaching philosophy, strategy, and systems he thinks will be effective. Also the players (current and new) have played the game a long time and I'm sure they have been told what to focus on with off season training. By now they should know how the game is played, how different systems work, and how to prepare before the season. So I think the coaches job, a very difficult one, is to create team chemistry, figure out line/ defensive pairings, and effectively teach their system with the players making corrections as the season progresses. All that being said, you can have a team of stars and not play consistently (e.g. BU this past year) or a team with few stars who play above their expected level (e.g. Princeton). I would look at this year's team being a success, no matter what the record winds up being, if they play a consistent game for 60 minutes and their opponents look at games against them as a challenge.

Comment

Info about Ireland trip next season http://alumni.rpi.edu/controls/email...5-e839b217d6a7.
                Clarkson has sent the same package with Cara group travel. Hmmm. Wonder if there will be separate buses.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I thought more about this. Do you know as a fact that Marshall will be playing at RPI?
                  Yes ... he's definitely coming. He was on campus last week with Jerry.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                    Yes ... he's definitely coming. He was on campus last week with Jerry.
                    Truly great to hear. I figured that since he is a goalie, he might have been more attached to SA than skaters.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wasn't Smith's goalie at Canisius an all american ? I think he will do alright with goalies

Comment

Rumor has it Hayhurst is looking to transfer as well but they are trying to talk him into staying. For those who have access or know how to access the financials when done for year end June 30th I would be interested in seeing what they say about the buyout price. Have heard it is a lot more than most speculated. Again a rumor at this point even though I was told true, do not know the source that well, and would be found on the year end financials.

Comment

Today is 11 May 2017. There are 143 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                            Rumor has it Hayhurst is looking to transfer as well but they are trying to talk him into staying. For those who have access or know how to access the financials when done for year end June 30th I would be interested in seeing what they say about the buyout price. Have heard it is a lot more than most speculated. Again a rumor at this point even though I was told true, do not know the source that well, and would be found on the year end financials.
                            Hayhurst would be a very big loss. I hope that he will be convinced to stay. As opposed to Melanson, he would have to sit out a year.
                            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-11-2017, 01:39 AM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Hayhurst would be a very big loss. I hope that he will be convinced to stay. As opposed to Melanson, he would have to sit out a year.
                              Why would Melanson not be sitting out a year?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Why would Melanson not be sitting out a year?
                                Graduated from RPI and isn't transferring, but rather becoming a graduate student with a year of eligibility remaining.

See also Robbie Baillargeon.
                                Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Working...
                                X