X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    I look forward to seeing what Coach Graham can do under the new regime.
    Who was the primary recruiter for young Mr. Conger?

Comment

https://dailygazette.com/blogs/parti...ssistant-coach

New RPI hockey coach Dave Smith announced Friday that he is retaining assistant coach Nolan Graham. However, Brian Vines won't return.

Graham has been an assistant coach at RPI for seven seasons under Seth Appert, who was fired last month. Graham also played for the Engineers from 1999-2003.

Before joining Appert's staff, Graham was coach and general manager of Alberni Valley Bulldogs of the British Columbia Hockey League in the 2009-10 season. Prior to that, he was with the BCHL's Nanaimo Clippers as an assistant coach and director of marketing.

"It starts with him being an alum, and also with his expertise in British Columbia, which is an area we're going to need good connections," Smith said. "[Being an] alum allows him to have some familiarity, the four years as a student-athlete and seven as a coach, those are things that are going to helpforever."

Vines spent eight seasons with Appert at RPI.

"I'd like the opportunity to get my own guy, to have somebody that I'm more familiar with, possibly a different position," Smith said. "I really like Brian. I was impressed in the short time we spent together. I think he has a future in the game. It's just one of those decisions. I've been on the other end of that. It's not easy."

Follow Ken Schott on Twitter @slapschotts.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        Imagine the career point total sans Bourbs
        I actually got this picture set up - and everyone else took advantage!

Can I tell the story? After the formalities finished at the hockey banquet, people were milling around talking as usual. I was trying to round up the seniors for a group picture, as I do every year, but it's like herding puppies - you get three of them together, but by the time you get back with the fourth, one of the first three has wandered off!

I finally got the four "true" seniors together in a good spot and went in search of Lou Nanne. When I got back with Lou in tow, I found that several people had discovered the boys grouped together and were snapping away with cell phones and cameras - which is probably a good thing, because one of them would likely have wandered off again otherwise!

When they saw us coming, the picture-takers apparently realized they had been missing someone and said (can you guess?) "Loooouuuuu!", and urged him to get in the picture - as if that wasn't where we were heading all along! But in the end, we all got our pictures (I think Sachi probably took this one) which is what's important.
        Last edited by cmmarkham; 05-05-2017, 08:52 PM.
        Charlene

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          Who was the primary recruiter for young Mr. Conger?
          What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            What does that have to do with anything?
            Must you always ask questions in the most obnoxious manner possible? He withdrew his commitment (although after signing his LOI, so he either needs a release or he risks losing another year) when the coach was terminated. As far as I can see he hasn't committed to anyone else. If there is some consistency on the staff, particularly with his primary recruiter, perhaps he might want to enroll in Troy after all.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
              Must you always ask questions in the most obnoxious manner possible? He withdrew his commitment (although after signing his LOI, so he either needs a release or he risks losing another year) when the coach was terminated. As far as I can see he hasn't committed to anyone else. If there is some consistency on the staff, particularly with his primary recruiter, perhaps he might want to enroll in Troy after all.
              FWIW, he still lists that he is going to RPI on LinkedIn, and with a graduation date of 2020, not 2021.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-28-2017, 08:59 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I often wondered based on body language of assistant coaches on bench during games how much lee way seth gave them. They both kind of struck me as yes men. Not saying this as a knock on either one. Just an observation..Did anyone else get the same feeling?

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                  I often wondered based on body language of assistant coaches on bench during games how much lee way seth gave them. They both kind of struck me as yes men. Not saying this as a knock on either one. Just an observation..Did anyone else get the same feeling?
                  I got the feeling that SA ran the whole show. He may have asked the ACs' opinions, but his word seemed to be final.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I got the feeling that SA ran the whole show. He may have asked the ACs' opinions, but his word seemed to be final.
                    Maybe thats the norm throughout RPI hockey????

Comment

Today is 29 April 2017. There are 155 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        Maybe thats the norm throughout RPI hockey????
                        I would think that's the norm in any program. Why would you potentially pull the kids in multiple directions? Both talents and strategies should benefit the team as a whole, otherwise you're "playing for the name on the back". The only question is: How flexible is the system? In SA's case, not very. In DS's case, we've yet to find out.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          I would think that's the norm in any program. Why would you potentially pull the kids in multiple directions? Both talents and strategies should benefit the team as a whole, otherwise you're "playing for the name on the back". The only question is: How flexible is the system? In SA's case, not very. In DS's case, we've yet to find out.
                          It's all about the in game adjustments.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            It's all about the in game adjustments.
                            This is very true. Something which the previous regime could not handle, that's for sure.

Comment

Today is 30 April 2017. There are 154 days (22 weeks) until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RPI Athletics HoF video http://rpitv.org/productions/1250-rp...f-fall-banquet. Discussion of Bryan Richardson is at 1:52:30. Questions to all of the inductees begin at about 2:16:00. His final remarks are at about 2:37:30.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X