X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jericho
    replied
    I agree with EHF and Ralph, the guy deserves a chance. I also took Oates' comments to mean that he is frustrated with the admin and coaching search process, not necessarily with Smith himself.

Leave a comment:

• AspyDad
    replied
    Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/201...ates-criticism

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    Does anybody on this thread think we should give Smith a chance before we throw him under the bus.
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• engineerhockeyfan
    replied

Does anybody on this thread think we should give Smith a chance before we throw him under the bus.

Leave a comment:

• ServinisScores
    replied

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    Not reportedly. There was a third coach involved who was the second choice, but his name escapes me atm.
    Mike Cavanaugh

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new.../18_murray.php

this article talks a little about the process. Happy Friday.

Leave a comment:

• jericho
    replied
    Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    Reportedly, Andy Murray was offered the job first and when he turned it down they hired Seth. Whether that was the order of the search committee's recommendations I don't know.
    Not reportedly. There was a third coach involved who was the second choice, but his name escapes me atm.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 28 July 2017. There are 64 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

No complete roster yet.

Leave a comment:

• rpi82
    replied
    Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
    I think of Adam Oates as being as classy a guy as just about anyone who has ever come out of the RPI hockey program. If he says the Tute ignored its own committee's recommendation about whom to hire as the new hockey coach, it's hard to think that he was just blowing smoke.

Makes me wonder, though - was a committee involved in the selection of Seth Appert eleven years ago?

My recollection is that Appert's arrival in Troy was met with widespread approval. If there was a committee that recommended somebody other than Appert, seemed like they kept pretty quiet about it.

Does anyone know if there was a committee involved in selecting the coach back in 2006, and does anyone know if Appert was the committee's choice?

If there was a committee in 2006 and if Appert was that committee's choice, there may not be much reason to think that the person the 2017 committee recommended, whoever that may have been, would have been likely to do any better than Appert did at RPI.
    Reportedly, Andy Murray was offered the job first and when he turned it down they hired Seth. Whether that was the order of the search committee's recommendations I don't know.

Leave a comment:

• Waite21
    replied

I think of Adam Oates as being as classy a guy as just about anyone who has ever come out of the RPI hockey program. If he says the Tute ignored its own committee's recommendation about whom to hire as the new hockey coach, it's hard to think that he was just blowing smoke.

Makes me wonder, though - was a committee involved in the selection of Seth Appert eleven years ago?

My recollection is that Appert's arrival in Troy was met with widespread approval. If there was a committee that recommended somebody other than Appert, seemed like they kept pretty quiet about it.

Does anyone know if there was a committee involved in selecting the coach back in 2006, and does anyone know if Appert was the committee's choice?

If there was a committee in 2006 and if Appert was that committee's choice, there may not be much reason to think that the person the 2017 committee recommended, whoever that may have been, would have been likely to do any better than Appert did at RPI.

Leave a comment:

• 25+years
    replied

Athletics has so changed. I remember a few years ago when the 54 championship team was introduced. They were all PhDs and MDs. While I would like to have a better winning record, I am much more interested in seeing a team to respect because of who they are. The question really becomes is it necessary to have low standards to have a good team? There are far more D1 programs than there used to be. The last thing I want is a team with players who have poor academic performance and or problematic off the ice behavior like at BU a few years back. Look at the suspensions at college football programs. The bottom line is these are Student-Athletes. Not the other way around.

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Granted it is somewhat limited BUT options can be Building Science, Business & Management, Cognitive Science, Communications, Philosophy, Economics, Design Innovation and Society, Electronic Arts, etc. No basket weaving or general studies, but again there are other rigorous academic dwellings and there are intelligent, well skilled hockey players out there. What I see more is an issue from the top down.
    It'd be tough to find someone with great knowledge of the present day 'tute that didn't believe the top down issue, unless they were part of "the top". Unfortunately, unless SAJ croaks, it ain't changing anytime soon. And even then, there's enough power in the board to make sure the poor leadership continues. I do hope we can see some improvements under Smith, especially surrounding injuries, team cohesion, and systemic evolution. That's all we can really ask for at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Today is 27 July 2017. There are 65 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 30 September 2017 for the start of next season.

No complete roster yet.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Personally I think the problem is academics combined with the limited choice of major. (Not that I feel that RPI should expand the choice of majors.)
    Granted it is somewhat limited BUT options can be Building Science, Business & Management, Cognitive Science, Communications, Philosophy, Economics, Design Innovation and Society, Electronic Arts, etc. No basket weaving or general studies, but again there are other rigorous academic dwellings and there are intelligent, well skilled hockey players out there. What I see more is an issue from the top down.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Do you believe the committee was totally ignored? How would Oates know? Yes academics are rigorous but there are no other schools with rigorous academics?

The press should be on the AD asking questions there are plenty of them.
    Personally I think the problem is academics combined with the limited choice of major. (Not that I feel that RPI should expand the choice of majors.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X