Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

    Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    Do you have any specifics as to quotations that weren't factual? Just because specific people weren't involved and a specific person wasn't hired does not call for being butthurt. I don't like this administration any more than you, but I don't see what they did here that was wrong.

    As for "searching", 170 coaches would mean 170 effective hours to obtain and consolidate the information. Not to mention, they also assisted with receiving and processing applications, and possibly also "recruiting" on their own, as you have to get the word out somehow.
    How come every other athletic dept. with a hockey program can handle the duty w/out going to a search firm? Do yourself a favor and don't defend this process. Juneau, Sadghpohr, Kearns, Henja, Chiarelli, etc. etc. faulted it; let that be enough for you. Just get me for semicolon usage.
    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

    Comment


    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

      Originally posted by turk181 View Post
      Hey, hey.....com on now.
      My bad.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

      Comment


      • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

        Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Well I haven't eaten there in over 40 years, but I didn't like it back then.
        Worst thing you said on this thread in a long time.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

        Comment


        • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

          Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
          How come every other athletic dept. with a hockey program can handle the duty w/out going to a search firm? Do yourself a favor and don't defend this process. Juneau, Sadghpohr, Kearns, Henja, Chiarelli, etc. etc. faulted it; let that be enough for you. Just get me for semicolon usage.
          How do you know that in the history of hiring hockey coaches that no other school has used a search firm? and the alumni you have name are just that alumni, what experience do they have in hiring a coach.

          And if Dave Smith has a .444 winning % in a lower league so be it. Something he said won over the hiring party, more so than what the other candidates did. Unless you were on the inside of the interview process you have no idea how any of the candidates handled themselves.

          Comment


          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

            Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
            Worst thing you said on this thread in a long time.
            Thank you. It's the new RB.
            sigpic

            Let's Go 'Tute!

            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

            2012 Poser Of The Year

            Comment


            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

              Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
              How do you know that in the history of hiring hockey coaches that no other school has used a search firm? and the alumni you have name are just that alumni, what experience do they have in hiring a coach.

              And if Dave Smith has a .444 winning % in a lower league so be it. Something he said won over the hiring party, more so than what the other candidates did. Unless you were on the inside of the interview process you have no idea how any of the candidates handled themselves.
              I agree with that. I was disappointed in the choice of Smith, but we have to give him chance. SA had plenty of chances to show whether he could coach, but DS has not yet coached a single game at RPI.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-13-2017, 09:33 PM.
              sigpic

              Let's Go 'Tute!

              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

              2012 Poser Of The Year

              Comment


              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                and the alumni you have name are just that alumni
                The alumni I named have banners hanging in the Field House and our the greats of this program.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                Comment


                • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                  Originally posted by DeepRed72 View Post
                  Does anyone remember Papa Leo's? Horrible!
                  There was a guy in my dorm named Dave Croll. As far as any of us could observe, his diet consisted exclusively of pizza and Alka-Seltzer.

                  Papa Leo's was his pizzeria of choice. After a while, he became one of their most honored customers. He told the rest of us that if we ever wanted to order a pizza from Papa Leo's, we could say it was for Croll (being careful to specify which room we wanted the pizza to be delivered to) and then we could be sure of good service.

                  He flunked out at the end of the year. Back in those days before cell phones, when we came back to school in the fall, we used to have to arrange for phone service to be connected, which took a few days. So it was probably a week or more after the start of the semester before one of us decided to call Papa Leo's for a pizza.

                  "Hello, Papa Leo's. I'd like to order a pizza for Croll."

                  There was silence for a moment, then "Hey, Croll! How ya doing? We thought you'd graduated."

                  Comment


                  • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                    Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    The alumni I named have banners hanging in the Field House and our the greats of this program.
                    Some of them do, not all. Also that has nothing to do with whether they could have helped in the coach selection process. I think that they could, but banners are irrelevant.
                    sigpic

                    Let's Go 'Tute!

                    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                    2012 Poser Of The Year

                    Comment


                    • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                      Today is 14 April 2017. There are 170 days until RPI's next game.


                      This is based upon 1 October 2017 for the start of next season.
                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by fishcore12 View Post
                        Fairways is an excellent course. Make sure you try some of the beer they brew onsite as well. Top notch stuff.
                        Shmaltz Brewing is way better...IMO..

                        Comment


                        • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                          Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          Some of them do, not all. Also that has nothing to do with whether they could have helped in the coach selection process. I think that they could, but banners are irrelevant.
                          Cmon Ralph youre making no sense. So trust Shirley and Lee and a search firm that has no hockey experience. There were no USHL coaches in the final four..really. You know the larger point, there were zero hockey people in this decision...zero. I hope Smith works out for you.
                          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                          Comment


                          • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                            Originally posted by Stay@homeDad View Post
                            Shmaltz Brewing is way better...IMO..
                            Cant argue with that but Bruce runs a better golf course!!!
                            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

                            Comment


                            • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                              Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                              Cmon Ralph youre making no sense. So trust Shirley and Lee and a search firm that has no hockey experience. There were no USHL coaches in the final four..really. You know the larger point, there were zero hockey people in this decision...zero. I hope Smith works out for you.
                              I really don't understand how one can correlate having a banner to being able to pick a good coach. That was my point, and it makes sense to me. I do agree that knowledgeable hockey people should have been involved in the search. I also don't trust Shirley in the least and I am not sure about Lee.

                              I hope that Smith works out for all of us.

                              SA was originally a great recruiter and was still a good one at the end. (Note, as Flaggie said, how long ago our recruit classes were near the top.) As to his coaching ability, he never demonstrated, as far as I could see, that he could coach well, and he was given ample opportunity.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-14-2017, 09:13 AM.
                              sigpic

                              Let's Go 'Tute!

                              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                              2012 Poser Of The Year

                              Comment


                              • Re: RPI 2017 Off-Season (Part II): Mr. Smith Goes to Troy

                                Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                I really don't understand how one can correlate having a banner to being able to pick a good coach. That was my point, and it makes sense to me. I do agree that knowledgeable hockey people should have been involved in the search. I also don't trust Shirley in the least and I am not sure about Lee.

                                I hope that Smith works out for all of us.

                                SA was originally a great recruiter and was still a good one at the end. (Note, as Flaggie said, how long ago our recruit classes were near the top.) As to his coaching ability, he never demonstrated, as far as I could see, that he could coach well, and he was given ample opportunity.
                                QFT - well said, Ralph.
                                Class of '93

                                16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X