WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA offseason thread 2017.

Was wondering where this was going -- seemingly nowhere.

Arizona State Withdraws From WCHA Talks
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...draws-From.php
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

I never really saw what the benefit of adding ASU was anyway?? I live in Phoenix so seeing my BG Falcons a couple more time of year would have really been nice, but selfish reasons aside, they brought nothing to the conference at this time.

1) Their arena is a dump.....and my son played travel hockey for DYHA, so trust me I've seen ever inch of Oceanside and its a dump. They've tried to clean it up, but you can only polish a turd so much. They are at minimum 3 years from ever playing a game in any new facility.....a facility that is yet to even be more than vapor at this time.

2) The WCHA already struggles with SOS what benefit would be adding another team in the bottom 15 of the PairWise have been?

3) The travel in the conference is already an issue for almost every school, why add another air trip after we already have the two Alaska trips?

4) They have no hockey history and would have provided no draw at the home box office for current WCHA members. I can speak with complete confidence that BG fans would not have been having issues deciding whether to attend the Michigan State, Ohio State, Miami or Arizona State game......LOL.

For the reasons above, pretty sure the WCHA decide to make it tough on ASU to join.....if they were willing to pay the ransom then so be it, if not, oh well.
      Last edited by bravohankins; 06-22-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
        I never really saw what the benefit of adding ASU was anyway?? I live in Phoenix so seeing my BG Falcons a couple more time of year would have really been nice, but selfish reasons aside, they brought nothing to the conference at this time.

1) Their arena is a dump.....and my son played travel hockey for DYHA, so trust me I've seen ever inch of Oceanside and its a dump. They've tried to clean it up, but you can only polish a turd so much. They are at minimum 3 years from ever playing a game in any new facility.....a facility that is yet to even be more than vapor at this time.

2) The WCHA already struggles with SOS what benefit would be adding another team in the bottom 15 of the PairWise have been?

3) The travel in the conference is already an issue for almost every school, why add another air trip after we already have the two Alaska trips?

4) They have no hockey history and would have provided no draw at the home box office for current WCHA members. I can speak with complete confidence that BG fans would not have been having issues deciding whether to attend the Michigan State, Ohio State, Miami or Arizona State game......LOL.

For the reasons above, pretty sure the WCHA decide to make it tough on ASU to join.....if they were willing to pay the ransom then so be it, if not, oh well.
        1. Certainly won't get an argument from me on Oceanside. Gila River Arena is beautiful, but not suitable for college games and location from ASU couldn't be worse. Three years sounds about right on the new place given the release that went out a month ago about construction projects in athletics. The arena and practice sheet did appear in the construction photo that was provided. But is sounds like they are looking to do both basketball and this new arena at the same time.

2. As far as Pairwise. In our second season/first full D1 season, we finished higher in the Pairwise than 6 of the 10 teams in the conference. So seems like there are bigger issues with some of those programs that were below us. I know our last recruiting class was 12th in the nation, not sure how that stacks up versus the others, but not terrible news considering the conference/arena questions.

3. Travel subsidies from ASU could have cost an additional million more to play in the conference. From as far back as the team banquet that seemed to be a concern for many. This year the schedule is great with home series vs. BU, UML, Quinnipiac and Penn State, with a total of 14 home games all together. In interviews the schedule next year will have even more home games. So that has not materialized as being a major concern yet.

4. Not sure on this point. Looking at our away games last year and have attended some myself, we had good turnouts in many places. We have a lot of alums in the midwest that enjoy getting to see ASU when they get the chance.

I enjoy the WCHA and will continue to watch from afar as a fan of the sport. I think it would have been fun being in the league, but as you said, in the end it probably wasn't a good fit for either. I'm sure conferences will continue to shift and at some point the right fit will be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89.2 View Post
          1. Certainly won't get an argument from me on Oceanside. Gila River Arena is beautiful, but not suitable for college games and location from ASU couldn't be worse. Three years sounds about right on the new place given the release that went out a month ago about construction projects in athletics. The arena and practice sheet did appear in the construction photo that was provided. But is sounds like they are looking to do both basketball and this new arena at the same time.

2. As far as Pairwise. In our second season/first full D1 season, we finished higher in the Pairwise than 6 of the 10 teams in the conference. So seems like there are bigger issues with some of those programs that were below us. I know our last recruiting class was 12th in the nation, not sure how that stacks up versus the others, but not terrible news considering the conference/arena questions.

3. Travel subsidies from ASU could have cost an additional million more to play in the conference. From as far back as the team banquet that seemed to be a concern for many. This year the schedule is great with home series vs. BU, UML, Quinnipiac and Penn State, with a total of 14 home games all together. In interviews the schedule next year will have even more home games. So that has not materialized as being a major concern yet.

4. Not sure on this point. Looking at our away games last year and have attended some myself, we had good turnouts in many places. We have a lot of alums in the midwest that enjoy getting to see ASU when they get the chance.

I enjoy the WCHA and will continue to watch from afar as a fan of the sport. I think it would have been fun being in the league, but as you said, in the end it probably wasn't a good fit for either. I'm sure conferences will continue to shift and at some point the right fit will be there.
          REvs is right, ASU has a decent strength and wouldn't really hurt teams who played them. I think it would have been a net gain in terms of PWR for the conference, however, the travel is an issue and will be an issue no matter what conference they end up in. A lot of the NCHC teams are complaining about their travel too so the likelihood is they would also want a subsidy.
          As far as home games. other teams may in the short run be willing to go to oceanside, but after one appearance and no firm plan for a date, I'd be shocked if they agreed to return.
          ASU has such a large alumni base that they will draw where ever they go, imho, but not to the extent of the established hockey schools. In other words playing Minnesota at home is bringing you more fans than them every time.
          Otherwise I'm sad to see them decide not to join, but I get the reasons.
          So again, they may be fine for now with home games but not in the long run.
          I'm a little surprised they get the recruits they get considering the rink and the heat.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            REvs is right, ASU has a decent strength and wouldn't really hurt teams who played them. I think it would have been a net gain in terms of PWR for the conference, however, the travel is an issue and will be an issue no matter what conference they end up in. A lot of the NCHC teams are complaining about their travel too so the likelihood is they would also want a subsidy.
            As far as home games. other teams may in the short run be willing to go to oceanside, but after one appearance and no firm plan for a date, I'd be shocked if they agreed to return.
            ASU has such a large alumni base that they will draw where ever they go, imho, but not to the extent of the established hockey schools. In other words playing Minnesota at home is bringing you more fans than them every time.
            Otherwise I'm sad to see them decide not to join, but I get the reasons.
            So again, they may be fine for now with home games but not in the long run.
            I'm a little surprised they get the recruits they get considering the rink and the heat.
            The PAC-3 incoming, we'll throw a bone out to CC and see if they bite to even things up.

Party school with some amazing study opportunities
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              The PAC-3 incoming, we'll throw a bone out to CC and see if they bite to even things up.

Party school with some amazing study opportunities
              ASU: Where every student, regardless of major, takes an independent-study Anatomy and Physiology class.
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Congrats to Beaver Senior Goaltender Michael Bitzer and Sophomore Defenseman Zach Whitecloud on being invited to the LA Kings Developmental Camp. Also, congrats to incoming freshman forward Brendan Harris on being invited to the Vegas Golden Knights Developmental Camp.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sports...prospect-camps
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I know that it's three months to puck drop, but I'm in a bit of a tight spot at work — trying to move management of one science rack into another team (including changing procedures and computer tools, leading training, etc.) while also trying to angle for a real NASA job, rather than the contractor gig I've been working — still here in Huntsville, a good change for me if it happens, etc. That means that my time to code on rankings is slim.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

: pulls cartridge out of Nintendo :
                    : blows on it :
                    : puts it back in :

So I'm running the WCHA media poll this year, and I need ideas for who I can contact for UAA, FSU, and LSSU. I have everyone else covered. Thanks in advance for your help.

GFM <— didn't get that NASA gig, boo
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

So I'm running the WCHA media poll this year, and I need ideas for who I can contact for UAA, FSU, and LSSU. I have everyone else covered. Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you mean specific people or certain media outlets?

For LSSU, there are only a few media outlets in the region that actually pay much attention to Lake State. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you who to contact in most cases. Your best bets:
                      The Soo Evening News - sports editor Rob Roos (rroos@sooeveningnews.com)
                      Soverign Communications - John Bell? - 1230wsoo.com
                      Eagle Radio - radioeaglesoo.com

Other options:
                      The Sault Star (Ont.)
                      Sault This Week (Ont.)
                      SooToday.com (Ont.)
                      9&10 News (The Soo and Big Rapids are technically within their coverage area, but you wouldn't know that watching them!)

Good luck! And sorry to hear on the NASA job .
                      Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

I agree with jsmithe on that, but I would suggest Sovereign, as their station is the one that covers Laker games.
                        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

For Ferris, you should probably figure out who the sports editor for their student paper is. IIRC, they usually have a student do their radio play-by-play as well.

I had to LOL at the mention of the Traverse City TV stations. You're lucky when they occasionally show highlights from Ferris, and mention the LSSU score during the sports segment. They were better about covering the NAHL teams they and Alpena used to have, than either of the NCAA schools in their broadcast zone.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            For Ferris, you should probably figure out who the sports editor for their student paper is. IIRC, they usually have a student do their radio play-by-play as well.

I had to LOL at the mention of the Traverse City TV stations. You're lucky when they occasionally show highlights from Ferris, and mention the LSSU score during the sports segment. They were better about covering the NAHL teams they and Alpena used to have, than either of the NCAA schools in their broadcast zone.
                            LSSU's student newspaper has had problems in being relevant lately. A friend of mine worked on it recently and, from the way he put it, the administration would put up a ton of red tape, making the paper look bad in the process.

As for "Tragic City's News Leader," why would we talk about college hockey when there's all sorts of nonsense involving cherries to cover instead? All of the local stations in Northern Michigan and the EUP are like that.
                            Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

I've gotten contacts for LSSU! Thanks to those who helped. I'm a little reluctant to dip into the student ranks, but I know how it is.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Doyle Woody from the ADN (if their bankruptcy hasn't caused them to fold yet), sports directors for KTVA, KTUU, and KYUR for UAA.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X