Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: bu off-season - #1

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    No, they're moving to an unbalanced conference schedule that I think includes one or two more conference games than previous.
    Bummer... I'm not a fan of the unbalanced schedule...

Comment

No, they're moving to an unbalanced conference schedule that I think includes one or two more conference games than previous.
      24 league games next season.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        Bummer... I'm not a fan of the unbalanced schedule...
        You play everyone twice and I believe there's two or three teams that you play a third time based on a "formula" that HE came up with.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

You play everyone twice and I believe there's two or three teams that you play a third time based on a "formula" that HE came up with.
          Are these the same people that thought adding ND was a good idea and would make everyone rich via tv money?
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            Are these the same people that thought adding ND was a good idea and would make everyone rich via tv money?
            A long time about I remember CHRIS!!! saying that BC's toughest competition all year would be in practice. Well then, I propose we split BC into two teams, A and B or whatever, and have the B team as the 12th team in Hockey East!

Also, did he get out of the loony bin yet? I know our friends in law enforcement stopped looking the other way once his uncle stepped down from the chamber of commerce.
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

The 24 game unbalanced schedule (each team plays 4 other teams three times) has been know since shortly after Notre Dame announced it was leaving Hockey East. College Hockey News had a Q&A with Commissioner Bertagna lasyt October in which he discussed the matter. I created my own possible unbalanced schedule for next season using common sense to try and have some natural rivalries get the third game while still having each team play two of the top teams and two of the bottoms teams three times. Based on reported schedules I ended up correct on 3 of the 4 teams Maine plays and 2 of the 4 Merrimack plays.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                I would hope Keller and Eichel will also be playing on the team.
                Originally posted by defkit View Post
                I don't know about Keller. Very possible. But the fact that he wasn't already named makes me wonder if he turned it down.
                Keller has been added. (along with Noah Hanifin)

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                  And when he strayed from that at BU was when he got himself into sticky situations. Holding the puck too long at the point on the PP, carrying it into the zone too far and getting caught below the dots with no good options, etc. It goes without saying the Bruins have far better personnel around him than he ever would have at BU so he can stick to playing simple hockey and channeling his focus on the simple plays, but it would've been nice to see him and/or the coaching staff reign him in a bit more.
                  Excellent post

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Mazz was trying to popularize the phrase "I've got a chummy for Charlie" on the Sports Hub yesterday.
                    "Chubby for Charlie."

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                      I am a little concerned that expectations have gone from low to astronomical in one night.
                      Which is the norm for this town, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Was he fully invested at BU? Guys around him couldn't keep up? Have no idea but **** he was impressive.
                        Here's what I think is a really comparable analogy. You have to use your imagination a little, but I believe it's applicable none the less. I remember watching Rebecca Lobo in the Division 3 Massachusetts State Championship game at the Centrum (now the DCU Center). She played for Southwick High (a tiny little town south of Springfield in that little "nook" that sticks out of Massachusetts into Connecticut). She was dribbling behind her back, between her legs, bringing the ball up and generally doing everything while her teammates (who, and I'm being as respectful as possible, were four stiffs) stood and watched. But here's the difference. She would INVOLVE them. Every time down the floor she would draw three defenders who would completely surround her. I mean, they were all over her. But, being 6-4, she could easily see and pass over them. So after they surrounded her, she would immediately dish the ball to one of them, who, of course, wouldn't have anybody within ten feet of her. And they would invariably either drop the ball, dribble it off their foot, lose it off their knee, kick it out of bounds, miss the layup, or fall down. It would have been comical if it wasn't sad. Southwick lost the game, but I came away with this impression about her: she NEVER ONCE got upset with her teammates. She didn't yell at them, make faces, throw tantrums, make gestures, or anything else. She just encouraged them, ran down the other end and kept playing. It amazed me because there is no way I could have ever done that. And I'm betting not too many other people can, either. Hence my point. Yeah, it's easy to say "reign him in." It's easy to say he was "not invested." But sometimes when your talent level exceeds others on your team, it puts you in a tough situation. Lobo handled it by trying to involve her teammates so that they wouldn't feel reticent or intimidated around her. But the reality is, she probably would have been better off in some private school where she would have been surrounded by better talent. But maybe she liked it there and didn't want to leave her friends. Who knows? But the OTHER way to handle it is to just do everything yourself. Didn't you (not "you" specifically) ever play on a team, like in 7th grade or something, where one person was obviously WAY above everyone else? How easy do you think it was for them? I think the "gap" in talent on this team between guys like McAvoy, Keller, Greenway, etc and the others was just something that was never resolved. Maybe they didn't really "trust" their teammates. Perhaps you could say it's the coach's job to "get them to" do that. But that's easier said than done.

So for all those people who are saying, "Gee, he didn't play like this at BU." Well, it seems clear now that BU was the exception. Because he was dominant in the World Juniors and obviously he showed something at Providence or the Bruins wouldn't have risked burning a year and bringing him up when they could still have him for three. Also, when you are surrounded by all that comparable talent, it's easier to stay "within yourself" and not try to do too much. It's almost as if because he was so talented, the spotlight was on him and he was blamed for the misfortune of the team.

I have no idea, but my guess is that it's not so much that he wasn't "trying" as much as he put himself in a position to be second-guessed. Moving on was definitely the right decision for HIM. (and before someone says it, yes, I know it's been ONE GAME and I'm not getting giddy about it - but it's clear that, even if he has a bad remainder of the series, which is possible because now he is on Ottawa's radar - he is probably up to stay)

So to answer in a very convoluted and long-winded way (my trademark), I think he WAS fully invested. I just don't think he knew the best way to handle the situation he was in. Which is why I brought up the Lobo analogy, because some would say she handled it "better" by letting her teammates feel as though they were contributing and not being shunned. But that's a subjective judgment. And remember, he DID score the winning goal in their last win of the year and they did get within one OT period of the Frozen Four.

Here's another one (since we're talking college). Did you ever have a professor who was brilliant but couldn't teach worth a dam? Because I had plenty of them (especially at BU, being a research school). It was because (and this is the same reason most great players make lousy coaches) they can't comprehend how people don't "get it" as easily as they do. So they quickly lose patience. Their attitude is "Jeez...why don't they GET this? Why can't they do what I tell them to do. It's so EASY!!!!!" Well, it is for THEM but everyone doesn't have that ability.
                        Last edited by chickod; 04-14-2017, 07:15 PM.

Comment

No one on this board has the attention span to read Chiks last post. That was pure hubris

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                            No one on this board has the attention span to read Chiks last post. That was pure hubris
                            But I said I was long-winded.

Comment

Clifford P Fitzgerald (outstanding rising Junior or Senior defenseman) Brandon Hickey

Regina Eilberg Scholarship (GPA) - Bobo Carpenter

Ed Carpenter Award (leading scorer) - Clayton Keller

Bennett McInnis Award for Spirit - Doyle Somerby

Iron Terrier Award - Doyle Somerby

Most Improved Player - John MacLeod

Friends Albert Sidd Unsung Hero Award - Nick Roberto

George V Brown MVP - Clayton Keller

Comment

Home opener September 30 vs Union. MSU Mankato coming in for two. And the Terriers travel to Arizona St. in January!

Comment

Working...
                                X