Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.
    What "wow factor" was NMU looking for?

Leave a comment:

• Huskiefan906
    replied
    Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Has Ben Barr applied?, Personally does Shiak have the wow factor that Northern was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• mmf
    replied

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Forrest Karr hires Dave Shyiak? I just... I mean...

Feels like an Inception plot.
    He may have to cut a compliance position or two to pay for it...but I'm sure he can make it work.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Forrest Karr hires Dave Shyiak? I just... I mean...

Feels like an Inception plot.

Leave a comment:

• DonorRoomDrinker
    replied

College Hockey News Says Shyiak Has Inside Track On NMU Job????

April 7th, 2017

MARQUETTE - Dave Shyiak, currently an assistant coach at Western Michigan, has the inside track to become next head coach at Northern Michigan, sources tell College Hockey News.

Shyiak, who was head coach at Alaska-Anchorage from 2005-13, was one of 15 candidates that conducted video interviews. He is a Northern Michigan alumnus and part of the 1991 national championship team, and went on to become an assistant coach under Rick Comley and Walt Kyle at NMU from 1995-2005.

Comley and Kyle are the only two head coaches the program has ever had. Kyle was relieved of his duties following the conclusion of this season. Shyiak was a candidate when Comley left for Michigan State, though the job ultimately went to Kyle, another alum. Shyiak was a candidate for the Anchorage job twice before landing it the second time.

Northern Michigan is expected to announce a final decision next week. One potential holdup could be the financial terms. Shyiak has a good salary as far as assistant coaches go, while NMU has not put as much resources into its hockey program recently compared to other similar schools.

Shyiak was (80-177-33) in eight seasons as Alaska-Anchorage head coach, and never had a winning record. He was let go after a (4-25-7) season in 2012-13. After spending one season as an amateur scout, he joined Andy Murray's coaching staff at Western Michigan in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• bose301s
    replied

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
    Thanks, unemployment is at least something.

I wonder if Shyiak applied?
    He was the main one I was wondering about.

Leave a comment:

• AKSWF
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I went a couple of years without steady work, and I know how much it sucks.

GFM
    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Jesus. I'm sorry. I too have been given a "no reason" layoff out of the blue, but that was six years ago. I truly feel bad for fans in Anchorage and Fairbanks for having to go through this rough time.
    Sounds like Omaha and RPI got the guys they wanted for coaches. MSU is down to two. And NMU now whittles away at the remaining 15.
    Thanks, unemployment is at least something.

I wonder if Shyiak applied?

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by giwan View Post
    Not sure RPI got who they wanted, look at their thread and not exactly happy but willing to give a chance.

I thought NMU has it narrowed down to LESS than 15 now? Implied that in the article. Found it interesting that NMU had 69 applicants seems high but don't really know, maybe that is typical.
    The number of apps isn't unusual. But typically, only 10-15 get more than a cursory look.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Jesus. I'm sorry. I too have been given a "no reason" layoff out of the blue, but that was six years ago. I truly feel bad for fans in Anchorage and Fairbanks for having to go through this rough time. Sounds like Omaha and RPI got the guys they wanted for coaches. MSU is down to two. And NMU now whittles away at the remaining 15.

Not sure RPI got who they wanted, look at their thread and not exactly happy but willing to give a chance.

I thought NMU has it narrowed down to LESS than 15 now? Implied that in the article. Found it interesting that NMU had 69 applicants seems high but don't really know, maybe that is typical.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied
    A rejection letter, ooh Mr. Fancy Pants.

You could the recession has started to boil in Alaska, got fired out of the blue last week, for no reason. Those were my bosses literal words, "no reason".
    Jesus. I'm sorry. I too have been given a "no reason" layoff out of the blue, but that was six years ago. I truly feel bad for fans in Anchorage and Fairbanks for having to go through this rough time.

Sounds like Omaha and RPI got the guys they wanted for coaches. MSU is down to two. And NMU now whittles away at the remaining 15.

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

You could the recession has started to boil in Alaska, got fired out of the blue last week, for no reason. Those were my bosses literal words, "no reason".
    I'm sorry to hear that. I went a couple of years without steady work, and I know how much it sucks.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• AKSWF
    replied
    I've respectfully withdrawn my application. It would never have gotten past the HR department for me to get the satisfaction of having Forrest Karr audibly sigh when he read it and had to type up the rejection letter.

Leave a comment:

• aparch
    replied

An update on the head coach search:
    http://www.miningjournal.net/sports/2017/04/coach-search-is-on-northern-michigan-university-committee-completing-initial-interviews-for-head-hockey-coach/
    After 69 people applied for the position, a search committee from the university narrowed the list to 15 for video interviews and completed the last one Monday night.
    Karr said that the finalists will not be named as several candidates have asked to remain confidential. He estimates the rest of the search process will take less than two weeks.

The committee is made up of former Wildcats head coach Rick Comley; Blue Line Club president Bob Cowell; former NMU hockey players Don Waddell, Dave Mogush, Dallas Drake, Jason Welch and Justin Florek; current Wildcat forward Zach Diamantoni; and faculty athletics representative Julie Rochester.

Leave a comment:

• MissThundercat
    replied

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    The rumour I heard was that they were going to launch an app and also install interactive keypads in each seat at the Berry, and let the fans make all the decisions since they seem to think they are the only ones who know how to fix the problems. Crowdsourced coaching, coming soon to NMU.
    Actually, I heard that the interactive keypads will be installed at Lakeview, since that's where the "real" NMU fans still congregate because they hate the Berry.
    Actually, I heard boot_walt_kyle will be the new coach, since he knows SO much...

Leave a comment:

• RaceBoarder
    replied

I knew I forgot to do something this week

Guess RaceBoarder ain't the one who is going to make NMU great again

Leave a comment:

Working...
X