Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

    Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Congrats to Joe Shawhan on being named the next head coach of MTU. Wonder if he'll name John Kyle as an assistant?
    Choke on your words

    Comment


    • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

      MTU expected to name Shawhan new hockey coach

      May 29th, 2017

      Detroit Free Press

      HOUGHTON - Joe Shawhan will be promoted from assistant coach to head coach of the Michigan Tech hockey team at a Tuesday morning press conference, the Free Press has learned.

      Michigan Tech previously announced plans for a Tuesday morning press conference to announce its next head coach but has not said who it will be. A source familiar with the negotiations said Shawhan will replace Mel Pearson, who left to become U-M’s head coach when Red Berenson stepped down.

      Shawhan refused to comment when contacted by the Free Press by phone Sunday night about his interest in the Tech job.

      Shawhan, 54, recently completed his third season as a Tech assistant. He won more games in the history of the North American Hockey League when he served as the head coach and general manager of the Soo Indians from 1995 to 2005. He was (474-162-43) and more than 100 of his former players went on to play college hockey.

      Shawhan then spent three seasons as an assistant coach at Lake Superior State, before going to Northern Michigan.

      He was a volunteer assistant for the Wildcats in 2008-09, then spent the next season director of hockey operations. He spent four seasons as a Northern Michigan assistant, before joining Pearson’s staff in Houghton in 2014.

      Shawhan was a goaltender for Lake Superior State from 1983-97 and left the program tied for first all-time in career goals-against average (3.83).

      Comment


      • Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
        Shawhan was a goaltender for Lake Superior State from 1983-97 and left the program tied for first all-time in career goals-against average (3.83).
        Showing my age, but **** 3.83 was best?
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

        Comment


        • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

          Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
          Showing my age, but **** 3.83 was best?
          prior to the 90s? yes...

          The 70s and 80s were crazy for scoring...and LSSU didn't have a program until 1966-67 and were not a part of the NCAA until 1974-1975. Based Duffy Lewis' numbers, it looks like Shawhan left with the best GAA since the move to the NCAA so that was the best from 1974 through 1987.
          Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 05-31-2017, 04:23 PM.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

          Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

          Comment


          • Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
            Showing my age, but **** 3.83 was best?
            This year, the 6th leading scorer in the NCAA D-1, Northeastern's Dylan Sikura, had 57 points. In 1990-91 Northern Michigan's 6th leading scorer Kevin Scott had 57. This year 3 NCAA D-1 players had at least 27 goals. In 90-91 NMU had 3 players with 27.

            The game has seen some changes.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

            Comment


            • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

              Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              Showing my age, but **** 3.83 was best?
              As a self-proclaimed student of goalie stat history (did an analysis of NHL goalies from 1985-2010 for my graduate applied stats class ), definitely. Today, 2.00 or 2.50 is the GAA standard we all measure to depending on league, and that is considered a team stat. In 1985, it was 3.00 (or even 3.50), and that was the era before SV% was considered the more prominent measurement of goalie prowess.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                As a self-proclaimed student of goalie stat history (did an analysis of NHL goalies from 1985-2010 for my graduate applied stats class ), definitely. Today, 2.00 or 2.50 is the GAA standard we all measure to depending on league, and that is considered a team stat. In 1985, it was 3.00 (or even 3.50), and that was the era before SV% was considered the more prominent measurement of goalie prowess.
                And .900 was a good Sv%. Now the standard is more .915-.920
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                Comment


                • http://www.t-mobilearena.com/events/detail/ice-vegas-invitational

                  Looks like some ticket information for Ice Vegas has been released. Website lists prices $30-$175. Tickets on sale June 17th at 1 PM ET.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

                    Jared Coreau and the Griffins win the Calder!

                    http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...use-crunch-mvp
                    2004 Alumni. Season Ticket holder since 2004. Go Cats!

                    Comment


                    • http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/sports/NMU-names-hockey-rink-for-Rick-Comley-428467213.html

                      NMU names hockey rink for Rick Comley

                      Comment


                      • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

                        Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
                        http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/sports/NMU-names-hockey-rink-for-Rick-Comley-428467213.html

                        NMU names hockey rink for Rick Comley
                        Nice touch

                        Comment


                        • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

                          Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post

                          Looks like some ticket information for Ice Vegas has been released. Website lists prices $30-$175. Tickets on sale June 17th at 1 PM ET.
                          I want/need to know if NMU is the early/late game on the 5th. That causes quite a change in the cost of this trip for flights
                          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

                          Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

                          Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

                          Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post


                            I want/need to know if NMU is the early/late game on the 5th. That causes quite a change in the cost of this trip for flights
                            It hasn't been released yet.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Northern Michigan University 2017 Off-Season. Zihuatanejo.

                              Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
                              http://www.t-mobilearena.com/events/detail/ice-vegas-invitational

                              Looks like some ticket information for Ice Vegas has been released. Website lists prices $30-$175. Tickets on sale June 17th at 1 PM ET.

                              I found another site that had a 2 day pass at $15 - $30.
                              "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
                              -Abraham Lincoln

                              Comment


                              • Can't find a link yet but ABC 10 just shared that Atte Tolvanen is participating in Nashville Predators development camp this week.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X