Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the NHL does not go to Korea, who goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If the NHL does not go to Korea, who goes?

I have always felt that Ice Hockey in the Olympics should be a U23 or U25 tournament.

The IOC should consider placing Ice Hockey in the Summer Olympics where it started, albeit for one Olympics.
    "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have always felt that Ice Hockey in the Olympics should be a U23 or U25 tournament.
      I agree it should be like the mens soccer tourney in the Olympics. Make it U23 and allow 2 or 3 overage players per country......done.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
        i agree it should be like the mens soccer tourney in the olympics. Make it u23 and allow 2 or 3 overage players per country......done.
        sold!!!!
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

.... annnddd the NHL is not going to the Olympics next year. Send the (college) kids again.
          "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Isn't playing with or against pros verboten? So without a waiver any college kid who tried for the Olympics would lose eligibility. That leaves the US with a team comprised of college kids who don't mind losing their eligibility and and pros from the European leagues that release their players (KHL etc).

Canada will be in much the same situation except they'll be able to pull from juniors as well.

In any event, the Olympic Ice Hockey tournament just went from a showcase to a snoozefest.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              Isn't playing with or against pros verboten? So without a waiver any college kid who tried for the Olympics would lose eligibility. That leaves the US with a team comprised of college kids who don't mind losing their eligibility and and pros from the European leagues that release their players (KHL etc.)
              You would think, but NCAA players are allowed to play in the World Junior tournament and there are times when there are NHL & AHL players on the rosters.

Not to mention all of the MJ players they play with and against.

Comment

Isn't playing with or against pros verboten? So without a waiver any college kid who tried for the Olympics would lose eligibility. That leaves the US with a team comprised of college kids who don't mind losing their eligibility and and pros from the European leagues that release their players (KHL etc).

Canada will be in much the same situation except they'll be able to pull from juniors as well.

In any event, the Olympic Ice Hockey tournament just went from a showcase to a snoozefest.
                Ralfs Friebergs (BG) didn't lose any eligibility when he played for Latvia.

Comment

I agree it should be like the mens soccer tourney in the Olympics. Make it U23 and allow 2 or 3 overage players per country......done.
                  Was going to suggest the exact same thing. Regardless of how many NHL players go the league should keep going through the tournament. Maybe cut back a bit but don't completely shut down.
                  Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                  Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Isn't playing with or against pros verboten?
                    No. Absolutely no. I can't say no more emphatically. :-)

Heck, just look at all the swimmers who win the Olympics against pros and then go to college and compete there. Not only that, the NCAA allows them to keep their medal bonuses without losing eligibility.
                    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

My fear of it being college players is that we see guys get nationalized and take the year off from school. But essentially a WJC team with some older players and maybe the occasional AHL/European player would be somewhat fun to watch, even if I'd rather see the NHL go for growing the sport reasons.
                      Al, this is the way it used to be prior to the NHL sending its players to the Olympics. Back in the eighties, we had players join Team USA on a regular basis (Laney, Scotty, Al Bourbeau, Neil Sheehy, Teddy, Pete Ciavaglia, the list goes on and on). Because the decision is coming in the spring, coaches may now have to think about recruiting extra players to compensate for those that get chosen to go to Korea.

I'm wondering if TEAM USA will consider asking the NHL to let players who sign entry level deals with NHL teams (McAvoy of the Bruins) join the US squad in January. Or sooner. There have to be a number of players who could help the national team compete against foreign competition that most assuredly will suit up pros from their home leagues.

Comment

I really don’t like the idea of making it U-23, with or without a few overage players. It’s the Olympics, not a developmental tournament. Should Usain Bolt not run, and Jamaica can send its U-20 track team instead. It only works, kind of, for soccer because that sport has a real World Cup that players and fans actually care about, not the one step up from a celebrity golf tournament hockey World Cup we had last Summer. Plus you can’t really run a championship caliber soccer tournament in two weeks – too many countries play it and they need more off days between games.

I’ve generally dismissed the idea of putting hockey in the Summer Olympics without giving it much thought, but why not, it actually makes sense in a lot of ways. The only problem, is a place like Rio really going to build a 20,000 seat hockey arena? With a couple of other smaller rinks for practices and some games? Hard to imagine.

Plus, it’s only every 4 years. And the NHL gets a ton of exposure out of it. Only they could find the negative in this. Not to mention, does everything in life have to be about the money? Sending the best players to the Olympics is fun and just the right thing to do. The fans want to see and the players want to play in it. Literally, it comes down to 30* guys in the world who don’t want this to happen. (*Maybe 60, the GMs are probably against it, too. But truthfully, they probably want to see it, too, at least they’re hockey guys, not just bankers who bought “one of those ice hockey outfits”.
                        I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                        How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          Al, this is the way it used to be prior to the NHL sending its players to the Olympics. Back in the eighties, we had players join Team USA on a regular basis (Laney, Scotty, Al Bourbeau, Neil Sheehy, Teddy, Pete Ciavaglia, the list goes on and on). Because the decision is coming in the spring, coaches may now have to think about recruiting extra players to compensate for those that get chosen to go to Korea.

I'm wondering if TEAM USA will consider asking the NHL to let players who sign entry level deals with NHL teams (McAvoy of the Bruins) join the US squad in January. Or sooner. There have to be a number of players who could help the national team compete against foreign competition that most assuredly will suit up pros from their home leagues.
                          Oh believe me, I know. As proud and happy as I'd be to see them in a USA jersey, as a Harvard partisan I have nightmares of Donato and Fox being on Team USA all year and not in Cambridge.
                          Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
                          Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                            Oh believe me, I know. As proud and happy as I'd be to see them in a USA jersey, as a Harvard partisan I have nightmares of Donato and Fox being on Team USA all year and not in Cambridge.
                            The price of success and blue chip recruits.

Comment

Men's final at 1AM ET
                              Women's final at 7AM ET.

Yuk
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by alslammerz View Post
                                But, I am sure you have NO problem with Keith Allain being away for a month.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X