Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    Don Sweeney announced this morning Charlie will sign and play in Providence this weekend and that JFK has not made up his mind.
    Seems like they are open to JFK signing but aren't putting the full court press on.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Seems like they are open to JFK signing but aren't putting the full court press on.
      That's the gist I've gotten. From reading the tea leaves it's always seemed liked Charlie was the one of the two Bruins picks who was a pretty safe bet while JFK was more in the 50/50 category. If we can somehow hang on to JFK that's a huge get for us. We have other available options (for now) in the offensive defensemn category but don't have much that can fill the top line center role. You'd also have to figure JFK would be very likely to get a C along with Olsson if he came back.
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

That's the gist I've gotten. From reading the tea leaves it's always seemed liked Charlie was the one of the two Bruins picks who was a pretty safe bet while JFK was more in the 50/50 category. If we can somehow hang on to JFK that's a huge get for us. We have other available options (for now) in the offensive defensemn category but don't have much that can fill the top line center role. You'd also have to figure JFK would be very likely to get a C along with Olsson if he came back.
        I previously posted I wouldn't be shocked if JFK returns. I don't think the B's have as pressing a need for his services next season and have more incentive to sign Bjork given he was a 2014 draft-pick, and don't want any risk of losing him to FA.

Based on BU's incoming class they're prepared for both JFK and Greenway leaving, but may be able to defer one of the incoming forwards (Cockerill?) to 2018-19 if at least 1 of them returns.

Comment

https://***********/JonathanSigal/st...71724768661505

Quinn's quoted as saying all remaining players want to stay with team. Goes on to say at this point it'd be that the pro team pushed extremely hard and wooed them with a bit of pie in the sky. If true, huge news.
          Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

NHL.com reporting that McAvoy has signed with the Bruins.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/video/pre...088/c-50926403
            Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Quinn's quoted as saying all remaining players want to stay with team. Goes on to say at this point it'd be that the pro team pushed extremely hard and wooed them with a bit of pie in the sky. If true, huge news.
              Well that is certainly encouraging. I know I complain about him a lot, but that is really just on-ice x's and o's stuff. I think he knows how to run a program. Since he has become head coach, pretty much everything I have read of what he has said has been great to hear. On a side note, I think his players have always said the right things to the media, too. I guess they take his example. That might be why Fabbro's weird post-game quote stuck out to me. Anyway, I continue to post this, but I don't understand the people who complain that the players are just using BU as a stepping stone for the NHL and they don't care about playing for BU or Quinn, their head isn't here, etc. Those people just aren't paying attention.

Comment

Indeed. And with Olsen, Greenway, JFK, Hickey, Carpenter back as key contributors, they will be an upperclassman led team.

Now they just need to figure out how to improve their "team" structure. My quick postmortem on this past season is that I can't remember a less like-able BU team that was north of .500. Nothing against any of these guys individually, but the TEAM lacked personality. I know the popular narrative is that they were only looking out for themselves. Let's flip the script next season.

BU Hockey: Need Chemistry
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Another quote sure to make the day of chickod and some others on here.

"Don't get me wrong we love the Clayton Keller's and the Charlie McAvoy's but we need guys that will be here for four years"
                  https://***********/chris_picher/sta...64127973904384
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    Indeed. And with Olsen, Greenway, JFK, Hickey, Carpenter back as key contributors, they will be an upperclassman led team.

Now they just need to figure out how to improve their "team" structure. My quick postmortem on this past season is that I can't remember a less like-able BU team that was north of .500. Nothing against any of these guys individually, but the TEAM lacked personality. I know the popular narrative is that they were only looking out for themselves. Let's flip the script next season.

BU Hockey: Need Chemistry
                    Yes! Been thinking this for 2 weeks as logic dictated I should be rooting for them and emotion was having a hard time falling in line.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Another quote sure to make the day of chickod and some others on here.

"Don't get me wrong we love the Clayton Keller's and the Charlie McAvoy's but we need guys that will be here for four years"
                      https://***********/chris_picher/sta...64127973904384
                      You got that right! And that's all I was "asking" for all along. If these guys DO stay, as alluded to above, it immediately thrusts this team into the discussion for a National Championship next year.

(Did I indicate that this made me happy?)

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        You got that right! And that's all I was "asking" for all along. If these guys DO stay, as alluded to above, it immediately thrusts this team into the discussion for a National Championship next year.

(Did I indicate that this made me happy?)
                        His quote is right. In this age of where the top prospects are coming from (more from the USA) and where they want to play (more in college) the Kellers and Eichels are going to come to college and BU should absolutely continue recruiting them, but they have to balance that with the Pat Currys and Nik Olssons who are four-year players who develop into excellent college players as well as hopefully (it seems) getting a few JFKs who one day will get their shot at the NHL but need a solid three years of college to realize that potential. If that's the model BU is using, I'm all for it. I think Quinn and his staff, as well as every other staff in the country at a big program, is in the process of figuring out how to construct their rosters and manage them in-season with more high-end talent becoming available. If a Clayton Keller or Jack Eichel walks into a coach's office and says he wants to play at your school, you absolutely cannot say no because you know he'll only be there a year. You just have to figure out how to make it work in the short and long term.

And if it turns out that all remaining players do return, next year's squad will be laden with experience and have the potential to be very special. Eight upperclassmen would be getting significant minutes, plus the rising sophomores and a spectacular goaltender.
                        Last edited by brassbonanza; 03-29-2017, 05:45 PM.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          Well that is certainly encouraging. I know I complain about him a lot, but that is really just on-ice x's and o's stuff. I think he knows how to run a program. Since he has become head coach, pretty much everything I have read of what he has said has been great to hear. On a side note, I think his players have always said the right things to the media, too. I guess they take his example. That might be why Fabbro's weird post-game quote stuck out to me. Anyway, I continue to post this, but I don't understand the people who complain that the players are just using BU as a stepping stone for the NHL and they don't care about playing for BU or Quinn, their head isn't here, etc. Those people just aren't paying attention.
                          Another note - has anyone decommitted from BU (unilaterally) and/or gone the MJ route, since Quinn took over? Over the last decade or so with Parker, it seemed to be a common occurrence (at lest the MJ route). Ethan Werek, Anthony DeAngelo, Angelo Esposito, Adam Erne....

I know some of them were just using BU as a pawn, but still, between Eichel and Keller, those were guys that got a very hard push from the Q/OHL, but it seems these guys all want to play for Quinn. Even Eichel who had an excuse since he was recruited by Parker. (Insert snide comment from about guaranteed ice time here...)
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Even if greenway/JFK return, you lost keller and didn't really have much at all on 3rd/4th lines. Doesn't appear you're bringing anyone in close to a keller. Guess I would think of you similar to this year's team. A very good team but i don't see the potential for a "special" team. Suppose Oettinger could dominate though.

Comment

JFK didn't really elevate his game from his freshman year and you guys have said on here greenway wasn't great/consistent down the stretch. Things get tougher when you lose a special player like keller even if you have a lot of good players.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Even if greenway/JFK return, you lost keller and didn't really have much at all on 3rd/4th lines. Doesn't appear you're bringing anyone in close to a keller. Guess I would think of you similar to this year's team. A very good team but i don't see the potential for a "special" team. Suppose Oettinger could dominate though.
                                I guess that would be a pessimistic view. I agree that this year's team saw a HUGE drop in talent/production from the 2nd to 3rd/4th line which weakened the offense. In fact, I called it before the season started.

If BU did not have anyone coming in I might agree with your overall point. However, BU has a likely 1st rounder coming in (Bowers), a PPG USHL player (Crone), one of the better U-18 team players (Tkachuk), and a couple other freshmen with potential (Cockerill, Amonte.)

BU gains another year of development out of JFK, Carpenter, Greenway, Harper, Bellows (!), etc. Never mind some upperclassmen leadership that was missing from this year's team. Oettinger at .926 with a year of experience under his belt.

Sure, no one at the level of Keller, but if all these players remain, BU will be a MUCH deeper and experienced team than this season.
                                Last edited by Tater; 03-29-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X