Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I like McAvoy and think he is going to be a pretty good player for a long time in the NHL, but I just don't see the NHL in his future for next year. Grizz is a better player right now than McAvoy. I guess Chucky No-Goals will have a busy summer working out and practicing, but I don't know.... I guess I am old-fashioned and would like to see the players be dominant at the college level before leaving early. Same thing with Greenway - until he uses his body to dominate physically at the college level on a night in, night out basis, why would his NHL team want him early?
    Good points. McAvoy has flaws as do most kids his age - those flaws are better off being addressed in Providence rather than Boston thats for sure. Honestly I didnt see any BU player really DOMINATE this year. I watched just about every NCAA tourney game and Boeser and Anders Bjork looked like men among boys - they looked ready for the next level way more than any BU player.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      I like McAvoy and think he is going to be a pretty good player for a long time in the NHL, but I just don't see the NHL in his future for next year. Grizz is a better player right now than McAvoy. I guess Chucky No-Goals will have a busy summer working out and practicing, but I don't know.... I guess I am old-fashioned and would like to see the players be dominant at the college level before leaving early. Same thing with Greenway - until he uses his body to dominate physically at the college level on a night in, night out basis, why would his NHL team want him early?
      Couldn't agree more you should be dominant at the level you are at before moving on but in Charlie's case I think it will be better for him to be somewhere where he is coached and held accountable ...better for him and BU

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
        Good points. McAvoy has flaws as do most kids his age - those flaws are better off being addressed in Providence rather than Boston thats for sure. Honestly I didnt see any BU player really DOMINATE this year. I watched just about every NCAA tourney game and Boeser and Anders Bjork looked like men among boys - they looked ready for the next level way more than any BU player.
        Don't forget Butcher..Terry and Borgstrom...very impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          I totally agree with you. I dont think DQ understood how to use McAvoy and gave him a long leash. McAvoy was essentially playing pond hockey out there with very little structure. DQ loves being known as the program to get players to the NHL and that doesnt equate to the success of BU as a team. As I have stated numerous times - BU is a team of individuals who put individual development and individual success before team success. BU is seen as a short stop before they move onto the next level. That type of program will get you some wins but will never get you a national championship.
          Amen

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
            Don't forget Butcher..Terry and Borgstrom...very impressive
            Terry especially....didnt see much of Borgstrom to include him but as you mentioned these are players that stuck out and you could tell are clearly ready for the next level. I find it laughable that people say Greenway is ready - maybe ready size wise but in terms of hockey wise he is aways off from being ready to go pro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              There was a fight on the ice and the coach pulled the team off the ice to protest and never came back so the refs called it a forfeit and it became a 1-0 win. Coined the term McChicken Tech after that.
              Ruined my Saturday plans I remember sitting there like "where's my refund?"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                There was a fight on the ice and the coach pulled the team off the ice to protest and never came back so the refs called it a forfeit and it became a 1-0 win. Coined the term McChicken Tech after that.
                I remember that game!
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  What year did BU lose to Minnesota in the NCAAs when they were at campus sites? Was it 86 or 87?
                  That's the weekend that Peter Marshall broke his leg in the Friday night game.
                  Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by wysi View Post
                    That's the weekend that Peter Marshall broke his leg in the Friday night game.
                    I remember. Went to visit him in the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      Brady Tkachuk-LW 5/10/2015 2017 USNDP U18 (USHL) 5'9 155 9/16/1999
                      Logan Cockerill-RW 3/14/2015 2017 USNDP U18 (USHL) 5'8 150 3/3/1999
                      Henry Crone-LC 4/8/2014 2017 Fargo (USHL) 5'8 160 2/19/1998
                      This is what I like to see. Three talented players that are undersized. Unless one of them blows everyone away, they are all 3 years+ players. No one is talking about Harper leaving early even next year.

This is kind of the BC method of recruiting of the late 90s/2000s.

I noticed that Crone has been about a point per game player in the USHL this year.

Comment

Something else I just noticed. Lowell fans here and in article comment sections before the field was picked were pushing the narrative that UML travels much better than BU and they should get the spot in Manchester over BU.

Well here you go:

2017 Manchester final with UML: 4,635
                        2015 Manchester final with BU: 4,721

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          Something else I just noticed. Lowell fans here and in article comment sections before the field was picked were pushing the narrative that UML travels much better than BU and they should get the spot in Manchester over BU.

Well here you go:

2017 Manchester final with UML: 4,635
                          2015 Manchester final with BU: 4,721
                          They had a better crowd for the first day by about 1,000, but it's hard to compare as this year it was at noon on a Saturday and in 2015 it was at 2 PM on a Friday.

At least the North Dakota fans travel well as 5,277 of them showed up for the BU-UMD game. On TV it looked like most of them were disguised as seats but at least they showed up.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            They had a better crowd for the first day by about 1,000, but it's hard to compare as this year it was at noon on a Saturday and in 2015 it was at 2 PM on a Friday.

At least the North Dakota fans travel well as 5,277 of them showed up for the BU-UMD game. On TV it looked like most of them were disguised as seats but at least they showed up.

Sean
                            Now this is your sweet spot... attendance...not analyzing who singlehandedly gives up goals....
                            Last edited by BUtogether; 03-29-2017, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                              This is what I like to see. Three talented players that are undersized. Unless one of them blows everyone away, they are all 3 years+ players. No one is talking about Harper leaving early even next year.

This is kind of the BC method of recruiting of the late 90s/2000s.

I noticed that Crone has been about a point per game player in the USHL this year.
                              Crone (23-31-54 in 51 games) and Cockerill are smaller players, but the size info posted for Brady Tkachuk is very out of date. He's grown to his brother's size--6'2", 194. Not as dynamic a player as Matthew and his point totals with the U18s are lower, although among the best on the team. That may or may not have to do with this year's U18s being a far less offensively talent team than when Matthew was there. Have seen a few 2018 draft projections--from scouts that have actually seen guys plays--that have him in the latter part of the first round. Those same projections have 2018 recruit Joel Farabee in the top 10. He's been moved up from the U17s to the U18s.
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Don Sweeney announced this morning Charlie will sign and play in Providence this weekend and that JFK has not made up his mind.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X