Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by wysi View Post
    In the"Terriers Head to NCAAs Licking Wounds"story...

"This was supposed to rank among the best BU teams ever."

Whoa...that's a lofty statement, isn't it??

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post

I'm not sure any of us were that optimistic.
      Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Not to mention that a statement like that can't be made BEFORE the season, can it? It requires the benefit and perspective of hindsight...

Comment

Not to mention that a statement like that can't be made BEFORE the season, can it? It requires the benefit and perspective of hindsight...
          Indeed. Do you remember that picture of John Cullen in The Hockey News in the fall of 1986, next to a story about how the "powerhouse Terriers" were going to sweep all opposition aside? Didn't quite play out that way.
          Last edited by wysi; 03-21-2017, 05:39 PM. Reason: caps!
          Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

This.

Maybe ranked by some media that didn't know about BU. True BU fans knew how much the team lost from last year's team. It didn't get as much press but BU lost a ton of offense too just like BC. Just because it mainly came due to graduation vs early departures doesn't matter. Whoever would say that a team very dependant on freshmen will rank as one of BU's best teams ever would be a fool.
            Last edited by Tater; 03-21-2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Boulay (who normally is pretty good) was one of the ones on the hype train for our team going into the year because of the draft picks. This was the group asking whether we'd lose a game all year. It'd be great if some of those in the media would stop looking at draft pick numbers and determining the outcome of the season based solely on that.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Indeed. Do you remember that picture of John Cullen in The Hockey News in the fall of 1986, next to a story about how the "powerhouse Terriers" were going to sweep all opposition aside? Didn't quite play out that way.
                Getting swept at home by Maine to open the season brought expectations back in check pretty quickly! Those were the first two hockey games I had ever seen, in person OR on TV. I believe the highlight was someone for BU (Scott Young?) scoring on the Maine goalie (Scott King?) from our own defensive zone.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
                  This.

Maybe ranked by some media that didn't know about BU. True BU fans knew how much the team lost from last year's team. It didn't get as much press but BU lost a ton of offense too just like BC. Just because it mainly came due to graduation vs early departures doesn't matter. Whoever would say that a team very dependant on freshmen will rank as one of BU's best teams ever would be a fool.
                  Apparently nobody here reads twitter or watches the NHL Network where are own fearless leader claimed he was the only one who could screw this up. He seems to have forgotten that and now pulls out the young card...and the Twitter preseason national championship looks like a long shot ..get ready for the we lost Keller and MvAvoy card next year...but hopefully Oettinger is back

Comment

Looking at your numbers leaving vs coming in there seems to be a bit of overlap. The slots almost force three players to leave BU that could probably benefit from another year there.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                      Looking at your numbers leaving vs coming in there seems to be a bit of overlap. The slots almost force three players to leave BU that could probably benefit from another year there.
                      By my count 6 forwards coming in.

2 seniors graduating (Roberto, Kelley); 2 almost definite to leave (Keller, Greenway); 1 possible to leave (JFK) = leaves 1-2 forwards more than this year. 17 forwards - quite a bit, may result in another departure.

2 defensemen coming in.

1 senior graduating (Somerby); 2 likely to leave (McAvoy, Hickey) = one less than this year, BUtogether's son gets more playing time.

Overall change to roster: Even to +1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        By my count 6 forwards coming in.

2 seniors graduating (Roberto, Kelley); 2 almost definite to leave (Keller, Greenway); 1 possible to leave (JFK) = leaves 1-2 forwards more than this year. 17 forwards - quite a bit, may result in another departure.

2 defensemen coming in.

1 senior graduating (Somerby); 2 likely to leave (McAvoy, Hickey) = one less than this year, BUtogether's son gets more playing time.

Overall change to roster: Even to +1.
                        I really don't see any of these players being ready for professional hockey other than Somerby. I think Roberto could probably get a shot in the ECHL for a couple years. Players leaving early? You have to be kidding me. Even Keller sucks almost 50% of the time (and the rest of the time he is pretty awesome, but I imagine he needs to develop some consistency first.)

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                          I really don't see any of these players being ready for professional hockey other than Somerby. I think Roberto could probably get a shot in the ECHL for a couple years. Players leaving early? You have to be kidding me. Even Keller sucks almost 50% of the time (and the rest of the time he is pretty awesome, but I imagine he needs to develop some consistency first.)
                          That doesn't stop them from signing and making some money. Then some surprise in the pros and play better there, where maybe they have a game more suited for the pros than the college game.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            That doesn't stop them from signing and making some money. Then some surprise in the pros and play better there, where maybe they have a game more suited for the pros than the college game.
                            Kids at that age are "immediate gratification" oriented. We have all made decisions when we were young that weren't necessarily in our long-term best interest, but whether through enticement, misinformation or whatever, we did impulsive things. And, of course, we all have the benefit of hindsight now. If one is honest with oneself, there probably are decisions that he/she wishes they could do over again. But that's not the way life works.

When I was that age I thought that I had to do everything I wanted to do THEN. I didn't listen to anyone who told me, "But you have plenty of time for that." It doesn't matter when you're young. Obviously, if I could go back, I would have made some different decisions. When I think about how "long" I have lived compared to what it seemed like when I was 20, I would have "paced" my life differently.

But that's not the way it works...

Comment

Kids at that age are "immediate gratification" oriented. We have all made decisions when we were young that weren't necessarily in our long-term best interest, but whether through enticement, misinformation or whatever, we did impulsive things. And, of course, we all have the benefit of hindsight now. If one is honest with oneself, there probably are decisions that he/she wishes they could do over again. But that's not the way life works.

When I was that age I thought that I had to do everything I wanted to do THEN. I didn't listen to anyone who told me, "But you have plenty of time for that." It doesn't matter when you're young. Obviously, if I could go back, I would have made some different decisions. When I think about how "long" I have lived compared to what it seemed like when I was 20, I would have "paced" my life differently.

But that's not the way it works...
                              I would say that they have parents and agents/advisors who should view matters using maturity and experience.

But I bet you'll say that the grownups are just as shortsighted and starry-eyed as the kids, in many instances, right?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                                But I bet you'll say that the grownups are just as shortsighted and starry-eyed as the kids, in many instances, right?
                                If BUtogether is who some say he is, then I think that answers your question.

Sean
                                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                                NCAA Hockey Financials
                                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Working...
                                X