Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
    It was 1986, a week after beating BC, 9-4 for HE title. Quinn, Young, Cullen, Donatelli, Taillafer, etc.

The previous season had a forfeit win against Michigan Tech in which MTU left the ice trailing 5-1. What was the issue?
    There was a fight on the ice and the coach pulled the team off the ice to protest and never came back so the refs called it a forfeit and it became a 1-0 win. Coined the term McChicken Tech after that.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
      He had most of his points last year on secondary assists also but the first unit PP was better with Matt running it...and 8 goals in two years is not very good for a so called #1 elite defenseman nor is 51 points in 2 years...and if you think he was a shut down D then you weren't watching....sorry if I judge play on the ice by watching not listening to non stop praise from the NHL USA propoganda machine...he was a young very talented D man who was handed the number #1 spot but did not play or produce as a college #1....doesn't mean he won't be a good NHL D when they reign him in but he is not a big loss for BU...the obsession is with non stop praise..not me...this team will be much more productive from the back end with Fabbro running the first PP unit and picking up more of McAvoy's minutes.
      The only non-stop praise for Charlie that I've seen (at least in the past few months) has been in the media, not from the BU fans on here. From the media, the WJC's was when it kicked into a higher gear for sure. And living in the Boston area, there is the additional coverage from the local fans wanting to know if he is ready for the big club. Given the (relative) stumbles of the team down the stretch, very few players have been getting high praise from BU fans. For a game or two, sure, but not consistently.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

It was 1986, a week after beating BC, 9-4 for HE title. Quinn, Young, Cullen, Donatelli, Taillafer, etc.

The previous season had a forfeit win against Michigan Tech in which MTU left the ice trailing 5-1. What was the issue?
        Did Mike Sullivan have a Hat Trick against BC? I arrived on campus the following fall.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          Did Mike Sullivan have a Hat Trick against BC? I arrived on campus the following fall.
          Yep. (Details)
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

He had most of his points last year on secondary assists also but the first unit PP was better with Matt running it...and 8 goals in two years is not very good for a so called #1 elite defenseman nor is 51 points in 2 years...and if you think he was a shut down D then you weren't watching....sorry if I judge play on the ice by watching not listening to non stop praise from the NHL USA propoganda machine...he was a young very talented D man who was handed the number #1 spot but did not play or produce as a college #1....doesn't mean he won't be a good NHL D when they reign him in but he is not a big loss for BU...the obsession is with non stop praise..not me...this team will be much more productive from the back end with Fabbro running the first PP unit and picking up more of McAvoy's minutes.
            This post is spot on and not to hate on McAvoy but the PR machine really took off and ran with this since he is a Bruins #1 pick. Personally, McAvoy struggled defensively - granted he is an "offensive" defenseman but many times his reactions put his team in a tough spot. I would say this season was a static year in terms of his development. He never took over games and in my opinion didnt show that he was ready for an NHL team. He did score a few key goals but he really needs to work on his decision making and positioning defensively in my opinion before he is ready for an NHL career. Kid can skate and shoot but you have to be sound defensively as well and he isnt there yet.

Comment

The series with Michigan Tech goes back over 30 years, now, but here’s what I recall.

The game MTU forfeited was the second night of a two game series during the period in which HE and the WCHA played an interlocking schedule.

The series was marked by very physical play, there were a ton of penalties. During the second game, the play became even more physical. Tech took a series of penalties during which BU scored several goals to put the game out of reach. The Tech coach (Herb Boxer?), probably out of disgust, sent his guys to the locker room. After about 10 minutes or so, the referees called the game a forfeit.
              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Peter Marshall, not Mike Sullivan. I understand the confusion. #TwoGreat#24Captains
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  This post is spot on and not to hate on McAvoy but the PR machine really took off and ran with this since he is a Bruins #1 pick. Personally, McAvoy struggled defensively - granted he is an "offensive" defenseman but many times his reactions put his team in a tough spot. I would say this season was a static year in terms of his development. He never took over games and in my opinion didnt show that he was ready for an NHL team. He did score a few key goals but he really needs to work on his decision making and positioning defensively in my opinion before he is ready for an NHL career. Kid can skate and shoot but you have to be sound defensively as well and he isnt there yet.
                  You're not wrong on any of this here. But for BUTTtogether to say McAvoy would not be a big loss for BU is idiotic.

That said, I do wonder if he needs the constraints of being the 6th man on the NHL D corps to get him to reign it in and start looking at how his play affects the big picture.

Let me also reiterate that BUtogether is an idiot. Not breaking news, I know.
                  Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                    You're not wrong on any of this here. But for BUTTtogether to say McAvoy would not be a big loss for BU is idiotic.

That said, I do wonder if he needs the constraints of being the 6th man on the NHL D corps to get him to reign it in and start looking at how his play affects the big picture.

LOL...McAvoy leaving is a big loss for BU. He is still a better than average NCAA defenseman and those are valuable no matter how you look at it. I think since he was a #1 NHL pick the expectations where very high and based on the stats and the season BU had you would have to say he didnt meet those expectations and neither did the team.

Comment

Bob McKenzie reporting Bruins and McAvoy working on an ATO. https://***********/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...58348808687616
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        The only non-stop praise for Charlie that I've seen (at least in the past few months) has been in the media, not from the BU fans on here. From the media, the WJC's was when it kicked into a higher gear for sure. And living in the Boston area, there is the additional coverage from the local fans wanting to know if he is ready for the big club. Given the (relative) stumbles of the team down the stretch, very few players have been getting high praise from BU fans. For a game or two, sure, but not consistently.
                        Don't disagree that it is mostly media driven..with a big assist to Quinn...zero accountability and double shifts after mistakes...actually that kind of treatment isnt helping Charlie get ready for the NHL

Comment

• Originally posted by smyler3 View Post

Interesting...not wrong on any thing I have said but I'm an idiot...let me reiterate this team will be a better TEAM both offensively and defensively without Charlie...more puck movement .more offensive breaks with numbers...more team defense without a guy out there just chasing the puck and a far better PP with Fabbro making the reads...it was incredible the number of times Charlie came crashing to the net bringing a defender right to an a wide open BU forward and then without fail the puck would end up where he was supposed to be....if you are going to spend most of your time playing in front of the opposing teams net..you gotta score more than 8 goals..stop trying to pander to Cookie and BFU2K and the rest ...they add .zero hockey analysis to back up anything they say...other than it must be true. if DQ...the NHL Network and that idiot Buccigross say so..Mookie likes butterflies..Mookie likes Jasmine....Mmmmm Cookies
                          Last edited by BUtogether; 03-28-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                            LOL...McAvoy leaving is a big loss for BU. He is still a better than average NCAA defenseman and those are valuable no matter how you look at it. I think since he was a #1 NHL pick the expectations where very high and based on the stats and the season BU had you would have to say he didnt meet those expectations and neither did the team.
                            What has BU won in the last 2 years with him as your so called #1 defenseman?...he is better than the average NCAA defenseman but he was played by DQ like he was the next Bobby Orr and for more than a handful of games he probably should have been in the stands being taught a lesson

Comment

I like McAvoy and think he is going to be a pretty good player for a long time in the NHL, but I just don't see the NHL in his future for next year. Grizz is a better player right now than McAvoy. I guess Chucky No-Goals will have a busy summer working out and practicing, but I don't know.... I guess I am old-fashioned and would like to see the players be dominant at the college level before leaving early. Same thing with Greenway - until he uses his body to dominate physically at the college level on a night in, night out basis, why would his NHL team want him early?

Comment

What has BU won in the last 2 years with him as your so called #1 defenseman?...he is better than the average NCAA defenseman but he was played by DQ like he was the next Bobby Orr and for more than a handful of games he probably should have been in the stands being taught a lesson
                                I totally agree with you. I dont think DQ understood how to use McAvoy and gave him a long leash. McAvoy was essentially playing pond hockey out there with very little structure. DQ loves being known as the program to get players to the NHL and that doesnt equate to the success of BU as a team. As I have stated numerous times - BU is a team of individuals who put individual development and individual success before team success. BU is seen as a short stop before they move onto the next level. That type of program will get you some wins but will never get you a national championship.

Comment

Working...
                                X