Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

    Well, Mookie, Moy has us in Fargo playing the Fighting Sioux - I mean, Hawks, just as you originally predicted. Hope you're both wrong!!

    Comment


    • #77
      Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

      Moy says: "Take a look at BU and Union swapping. Is there a benefit there? Not in my eyes."

      Why not? Why do you bring the LOWER seeded team East and leave the HIGHER seeded team out West? Well, I'll tell you why. Because he probably looked at Friday's game and saw TWO (maybe part of a third, but not very impressive when Lowell filled 1/4 of the building) sections of BU fans and concluded that there wouldn't be a significant attendance boost with BU in Providence. That's pretty sobering. We need to start building back enthusiasm for this program...
      Last edited by chickod; 03-19-2017, 09:51 AM.

      Comment


      • #78
        Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

        Originally posted by christos1968 View Post
        Start rooting for BC or UMass Lowell then; we won't miss you. You can root for BC and their head coach Mr Magoo next weekend- oh wait they didn't make the field
        jack a. s. s.
        *****

        Comment


        • #79
          Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

          Originally posted by BUtogether View Post

          As for Quinn...is it acceptable to you to have the preseason #1 or #2 team in the country
          Actually, BU was #4 preseason and will finish around #7. For comparison, BC was #5 preseason and will likely finish 13-14.

          Comment


          • #80
            Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

            Originally posted by Tater View Post
            Actually, BU was #4 preseason and will finish around #7. For comparison, BC was #5 preseason and will likely finish 13-14.
            +1
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

            Comment


            • #81
              Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

              I think people are missing the point that the team is way underperforming given their talent level under Quinn, and regularly doesn't put in the same effort in big games that their opponents do, particularly Lowell and BC. This needs to be corrected and quickly or we're got ourselves a younger version of the last 15 years of Parker's tenure which was littered with a lack of effort and getting smoked by less talented teams that worked harder.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

              Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

              "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

              Comment


              • #82
                Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

                This thread does not disappoint.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

                  Another reason to do away with polls. Wasn't BC 5th preseason nationally but 5th or 6th in hockey east? Nothing more meaningless than the preseason national poll.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

                    Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    I think people are missing the point that the team is way underperforming given their talent level under Quinn, and regularly doesn't put in the same effort in big games that their opponents do, particularly Lowell and BC. This needs to be corrected and quickly or we're got ourselves a younger version of the last 15 years of Parker's tenure which was littered with a lack of effort and getting smoked by less talented teams that worked harder.
                    I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

                    I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

                    Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                      Um, Mr. BU Hockey Expert ... you might want to try and get the team captain's name right.
                      ...and it's not the first time he's made that mistake.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

                        Originally posted by defkit View Post
                        I don't think it is an effort issue. I see intensity and hustle, it just isn't producing the results we hoped for. I see a combination of a very young team and a coach that is struggling with how to put an offensive system in place that is well suited for them. The most "talented" forwards are the youngest, with Keller being an extreme example. I don't care how talented you are, you have to learn how to play the game smartly to succeed.

                        I would like to see Quinn give the older guys more ice time (of course, playing catch-up every game lately doesn't help). The 4th line is not seeing nearly enough ice time in my opinion. Chabot is a very reliable older freshman who can bring stability.

                        Also, I think the Power Play is trying too hard to make the pretty play. We have d that are talented enough to avoid blocked shots from the blue line - get it on net and crash for rebounds. The Umbrella ends up with too many passes, and then if the shot from one of the side players misses the net, it often comes out of the zone.
                        Absolutely. You just summed up (much more succinctly and without the emotion) what many of us have been trying to say. Early in the season I also attributed it to a "lack of effort" but have since come to the realization that this is not quite accurate. It's just frustrating to watch. Regarding the PP, a couple of times Friday (and I was sitting right at the top of the circle where we were shooting two out of three periods) I was just screaming "Shoot" as "they" (don't really want to single out anyone) would just hold the puck waiting for that perfect tic-tac-toe play. When I watch Lowell I see a team whose players always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure what to attribute it too - maybe they're actually pressing too hard, because often the spacing is poor and players are right on top of one another (almost in each other's way), enabling the defense to cover them too easily. But I also feel that when you have a lot of very talented players, sometimes that all try to win the game by themselves and that's one reason why they don't appear to be "jelling" as perhaps one would expect. But then some nights they put it all together. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to put it together next weekend.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
                          ...and it's not the first time he's made that mistake.
                          Yep because auto correct misspells a name the message is irrelevant...ok Somerby sucks...happy now?

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            [QUOTE=defkit;6467729]Together - given how overrated Chuck is, can you put a stake in the ground and tell me when (if ever) you expect him to become an NHL regular? A team may love their draft pick, but if he is a liability on the ice, he ain't playing. So if he is as bad/overrated as you make him out to be, it would seem he has no shot of making the Bruins, at least for a couple years.

                            Because all the local prognosticators seem to be confident he'll be playing at least some of next season for the big club. I'm not saying I agree, just what they all seem to think.[/QUOTE

                            I don't care what he does with the Bruins or what his potential is...it hasn't happened at BU...perhaps he will go there and be reigned in and become a good # 5 or #6 defenseman...i will tell you if he continues to play like he has at BU he will be a first round bust ...I think it's best for his development to move on because he isn't getting better here

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Absolutely. You just summed up (much more succinctly and without the emotion) what many of us have been trying to say. Early in the season I also attributed it to a "lack of effort" but have since come to the realization that this is not quite accurate. It's just frustrating to watch. Regarding the PP, a couple of times Friday (and I was sitting right at the top of the circle where we were shooting two out of three periods) I was just screaming "Shoot" as "they" (don't really want to single out anyone) would just hold the puck waiting for that perfect tic-tac-toe play. When I watch Lowell I see a team whose players always seem to be in the right place at the right time. I'm not sure what to attribute it too - maybe they're actually pressing too hard, because often the spacing is poor and players are right on top of one another (almost in each other's way), enabling the defense to cover them too easily. But I also feel that when you have a lot of very talented players, sometimes that all try to win the game by themselves and that's one reason why they don't appear to be "jelling" as perhaps one would expect. But then some nights they put it all together. Hopefully they can somehow find a way to put it together next weekend.
                              Actually if you look up the advanced metrics the top 6 D get over 33% of their shots blocked which is not good..Diffley around 38% and that terrible player Switzer 8%....the 2nd PP unit has been much more successful because Fabbro is the QB and the puck goes to the right spot quickly...shots get through and goals are scored simple

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                                BU is 5-5-1 over the last 4 years vs Lowell including 1-1 this year with a two goal win and a one goal loss. Beatings ?
                                BU got destroyed in last years playoffs...if not for Oettinger it could have been 6-1after 2 periods at BU....the game at Lowell I think BU had 8 shots after two periods but keep believing it's even.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X