Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Sean -

With the exception of UVM, you correctly selected the schedule for Maine based on your reasoning. Maine plays BC, BU, UNH and UMass three times and the other six teams twice. Hockey East substituted UMass over UVM based on their algorithm (last year's standings I think). As I recall you used the last 2 or 3 seasons.
    Last edited by Runsub5; 03-22-2017, 06:37 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      That doesn't stop them from signing and making some money. Then some surprise in the pros and play better there, where maybe they have a game more suited for the pros than the college game.
      Absolutely. Is there a single BU fan (or Hockey East fan) who would have guessed that Joe DiPenta would reach the NHL and have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup?
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Article on North Dakota game with quotes from David Quinn, Doyle Somerby and Brandon Hickey:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...h-dakota-fargo
        https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
        Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          Absolutely. Is there a single BU fan (or Hockey East fan) who would have guessed that Joe DiPenta would reach the NHL and have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup?
          Certainly not me.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            I know, right??? Same with Adrian Aucoin.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Sean -

With the exception of UVM, you correctly selected the schedule for Maine based on your reasoning. Maine plays BC, BU, UNH and UMass three times and the other four teams twice. Hockey East substituted UMass over UVM based on their algorithm (last year's standings I think). As I recall you used the last 2 or 3 seasons.
              I used the last 5 seasons overall records, including this past season. I'm guessing the league used the 2015-16 league standings, which don't change the top five overall, just the positions of the top 3. However, it does move Merrimack up to 6th, my pivot point, and drops Vermont into the bottom five. Looking at my chart I don't think it would break my schedule, however, so it will be interesting to see the full league schedule.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Getting swept at home by Maine to open the season brought expectations back in check pretty quickly! Those were the first two hockey games I had ever seen, in person OR on TV. I believe the highlight was someone for BU (Scott Young?) scoring on the Maine goalie (Scott King?) from our own defensive zone.
                My brother was up visiting me at BU that weekend, and he had never seen a Terrier hockey game before so I took him along. After those two games I don't think he was interested in seeing any more. It was a real shock.
                Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                  Article on North Dakota game with quotes from David Quinn, Doyle Somerby and Brandon Hickey:

Interesting choice of words: "relishes"

Well, it seems as though they understand what they have to do. Now it's just a matter of execution. And, who knows? As I said previously, maybe this is the type of challenge this team "needs."

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    I really don't see any of these players being ready for professional hockey other than Somerby. I think Roberto could probably get a shot in the ECHL for a couple years. Players leaving early? You have to be kidding me. Even Keller sucks almost 50% of the time (and the rest of the time he is pretty awesome, but I imagine he needs to develop some consistency first.)
                    I have a lot of conversations with fellow Bruins fans who are keen on having McAvoy next season. I keep telling them he's not ready. If he goes, he will be playing in Providence.
                    Boston University CAS'88

GO BU!

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post

There's a small subplot in the BU-UND game with Fabbro facing off against his Penticton Vees and Canada WJC teammate Tyson Jost.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
                        By my count 6 forwards coming in.

2 seniors graduating (Roberto, Kelley); 2 almost definite to leave (Keller, Greenway); 1 possible to leave (JFK) = leaves 1-2 forwards more than this year. 17 forwards - quite a bit, may result in another departure.

2 defensemen coming in.

1 senior graduating (Somerby); 2 likely to leave (McAvoy, Hickey) = one less than this year, BUtogether's son gets more playing time.

Overall change to roster: Even to +1.
                        Not my son and Hickey isn't going anywhere...if he does leave they will accelerate Crotty and pretend the 3 new freshman are great because they are NHL draft picks while Diffley and Switzer continue to sit in the stands.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                          Not my son
                          Based on previews comments concerning the sexual favors you'd like to give him I'm guessing he's your bf?
                          BS UMass Lowell 2015
                          PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                            Apparently nobody here reads twitter or watches the NHL Network where are own fearless leader claimed he was the only one who could screw this up. He seems to have forgotten that and now pulls out the young card...and the Twitter preseason national championship looks like a long shot ..get ready for the we lost Keller and MvAvoy card next year...but hopefully Oettinger is back
                            Since this is the 232nd time you've brought up his quote from the draft, I'm asking, how is this a prediction by him that they were going to win it all? He was asked about all the NHL talent he had coming in, and he jokingly addressed the pressure that comes with it by saying only he could screw it up. I don't see how that translates into him predicting they would win it all. I see it as a self-depricating comment about the pressure that comes with such recruiting success. And I'd say it's clear the pressure is on, given all the comments on this board about his coaching ability. There have been many coaches and classes that have had boatloads of NHL talent that have not won the NCAA title (BC team with Janney/Leetch, BU team with Amonte/Tkachuk/McEachern, Michigan with Morrisson/Botterill, Minny with Kessel and company to name a few).

I'm fine with questioning his tactics, line-ups, etc., but I don't see how the quote has anything to do with it.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              I really don't see any of these players being ready for professional hockey other than Somerby. I think Roberto could probably get a shot in the ECHL for a couple years. Players leaving early? You have to be kidding me. Even Keller sucks almost 50% of the time (and the rest of the time he is pretty awesome, but I imagine he needs to develop some consistency first.)
                              Agree completely. Obviously there's always some surprises. Having said that if these stiffs think they're ready for the pros they're deluding themselves. Keller sure but otherwise the team collectively laying an egg this year doesn't scream future success for its players on the next level although one could argue they're being restrained by the offensive system.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                                Since this is the 232nd time you've brought up his quote from the draft, I'm asking, how is this a prediction by him that they were going to win it all? He was asked about all the NHL talent he had coming in, and he jokingly addressed the pressure that comes with it by saying only he could screw it up. I don't see how that translates into him predicting they would win it all. I see it as a self-depricating comment about the pressure that comes with such recruiting success. And I'd say it's clear the pressure is on, given all the comments on this board about his coaching ability. There have been many coaches and classes that have had boatloads of NHL talent that have not won the NCAA title (BC team with Janney/Leetch, BU team with Amonte/Tkachuk/McEachern, Michigan with Morrisson/Botterill, Minny with Kessel and company to name a few).

I'm fine with questioning his tactics, line-ups, etc., but I don't see how the quote has anything to do with it.
                                Fair enough..then I am questioning his line ups and tactics...I also am questioning the young excuse that keeps being played..if this is the way you are going to recruit then you will always be young...your choice..there not different rules for other NCAA teams...the truth is I believe they have the talent to win it all.
                                Last edited by BUtogether; 03-22-2017, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X