Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    There is truth to the fact the BU had numerous outstanding chances to score, and so Woll deserves a lot of credit. It's how the BC goals were scored, and how bad BU looked in the second period that leaves such a sour taste in my mouth. That SHG was embarrassing - Three BU guys behind the play, while the BC guys skate their butt off and get a goal.
    So, was that due to bad coaching or too many selfish players and no TEAM play?

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Re: BU 2017 Season Thread III: Terriers falling (into the off season)

A thought I had regarding the way the game ended: wouldn't it make sense that if a penalty gets called in the last 2 minutes of the game the coach of the team going on the PP can elect to reset the clock to 2 minutes (or 5 minutes for a major) and play out the entire man advantage? If a team is leading and get a PP, they can decide to decline this option. It has always seemed dumb to me that players are taught to play disciplined the entire game, and then in last 30 seconds, they basically can hack, slash and hook and there is very little consequence. In a situation like last night, I assume Fitzgerald would have played it differently had these rules been in place, regardless if you thought it was a penalty or not.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
      A thought I had regarding the way the game ended: wouldn't it make sense that if a penalty gets called in the last 2 minutes of the game the coach of the team going on the PP can elect to reset the clock to 2 minutes (or 5 minutes for a major) and play out the entire man advantage? If a team is leading and get a PP, they can decide to decline this option. It has always seemed dumb to me that players are taught to play disciplined the entire game, and then in last 30 seconds, they basically can hack, slash and hook and there is very little consequence. In a situation like last night, I assume Fitzgerald would have played it differently had these rules been in place, regardless if you thought it was a penalty or not.
      A nice idea, but as such a rule has not been implemented in 100 years it is unlikely to be implemented now or anytime in the future.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I agree with the thought process but I'd prefer something like certain penalties in certain times lead to a penalty shot. An intentional delay of game would qualify. I'm not for resetting the clock arbitrarily.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          So, was that due to bad coaching or too many selfish players and no TEAM play?

Sean
          9 straight games playing from behind...zero ability to score 5 on 5....you tell me?

Comment

A nice idea, but as such a rule has not been implemented in 100 years it is unlikely to be implemented now or anytime in the future.

Sean
            Not sure i follow this logic. We'd never have any new rules.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              I agree with the thought process but I'd prefer something like certain penalties in certain times lead to a penalty shot. An intentional delay of game would qualify. I'm not for resetting the clock arbitrarily.
              Brass...as you stated earlier...everyone needs to stop focusing on the last 9 seconds and start focusing on the reason this team is never ready to play and can't score goals...where is all this supposed skill?..I'm not sure DQ has any clue how a team scores goals other than to open the door for Eichel and Keller....the guy he has running his PP is the worst I have ever seen making decisions with puck...so let's double shift him after the shorty and sit the best decision maker on the bench...this guys love affair with #7 is comical and leads you nowhere but a second straight one and done
              Last edited by BUtogether; 03-18-2017, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                9 straight games playing from behind...zero ability to score 5 on 5....you tell me?
                I guess I must have imagined all those 5 on 5 goals this season!

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Not sure i follow this logic. We'd never have any new rules.
                  What was the last radical rule implemented in ice hockey? When was it implemented?

And why are you posting here now? Shouldn't you be at the game?

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

What was the last radical rule implemented in ice hockey? When was it implemented?

And why are you posting here now? Shouldn't you be at the game?

Sean
                    I think a better way to look at this specific argument is, when was the last time a major sport implemented a rule change that would allow the clock to be adjusted as a direct penalty on a team, not as a corrective or secondary action. I can't think of one.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      I think a better way to look at this specific argument is, when was the last time a major sport implemented a rule change that would allow the clock to be adjusted as a direct penalty on a team, not as a corrective or secondary action. I can't think of one.
                      Well, there's also soccer, which allows referees to play with the clock so that a team always has time to have a corner kick/free kick and the follow through action. However, I don't know if that has always been allowed and if there is an written rule about it.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

I guess I must have imagined all those 5 on 5 goals this season!

Sean
                        How many did you see against Northeastern?..ND?..last night?...rolls eyes

Comment

Well, there's also soccer, which allows referees to play with the clock so that a team always has time to have a corner kick/free kick and the follow through action. However, I don't know if that has always been allowed and if there is an written rule about it.

Sean
                          Yeah I thought of that but had the same though as you that the clock finagling there isn't a penalty directly resulting from play. I think the penalty shot scenario would be the one to consider if the rules committee went down this road.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As someone who can't stand either school but loves college hockey, I agree with this. Much like Red Sox/Yankees, it's gotten kind of stale. Who would have thought a semifinal featuring BC/BU would be the least attended semi since '06.
                            What is your source for this statement? I've been researching home and tournament attendance for a year now and according to the figures I have found this year's semifinal attendance is the lowest since at least 2001. I'm missing attendance figures for 1998, 2000 and 2001, but I'm guessing it is the lowest since either 1998 or definitely 1997.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

How many did you see against Northeastern?
                              One in each game (total 2)

..ND?
                              Three in the 4-1 win, one in the 3-1 loss (total 4)

..last night?
                              None

That's a total of six 5 on 5 goals in the last 5 games.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Working...
                              X