No announcement yet.

RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/29, 1/30)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI & Union @ Brown & Yale (1/29, 1/30)

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
    RPI and Union should have no trouble getting 2 points each in Providence. Brown has been awful recently. We just ended a 5-game losing streak at Clarkson tonight, but we also almost blew a 3 goal 1st period lead.

I WAS looking forward to next weekend because we haven't been home for so long, but now I'm more worried than excited.

Comment

Any I witness accounts of the end of regulation calls that gave the game to Brown?

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
        Any I witness accounts of the end of regulation calls that gave the game to Brown?
        The slash seemed legit, for no reason other than it happened right in front of the official and the Brown skater's stick ended up on the ice. The interference was a bogus call at best. I can't understand how they called it at all, never mind with Brown already on the powerplay and the game going to overtime. Having been on the other side of those, I completely understand the frustration. It was a terrible call to make, and a phantom play on top of it -- I thought the Brown skater and RPI's d-man engaged off the face off and the Brown skater lost his edge as the linesman who dropped the puck skated out of the circle collided with him, drawing the interference call. Yes, it was bad. I'll give Brown credit for capitalizing on the power play -- I think the Volpatti goal was either Brown's first or 2nd power play SHOT on the night - and it took a shady 5x3 to make that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
          The slash seemed legit, for no reason other than it happened right in front of the official and the Brown skater's stick ended up on the ice. The interference was a bogus call at best. I can't understand how they called it at all, never mind with Brown already on the powerplay and the game going to overtime. Having been on the other side of those, I completely understand the frustration. It was a terrible call to make, and a phantom play on top of it -- I thought the Brown skater and RPI's d-man engaged off the face off and the Brown skater lost his edge as the linesman who dropped the puck skated out of the circle collided with him, drawing the interference call. Yes, it was bad. I'll give Brown credit for capitalizing on the power play -- I think the Volpatti goal was either Brown's first or 2nd power play SHOT on the night - and it took a shady 5x3 to make that happen.
          Thank you for your honest assement of the play. I have a strong feeling that our coaches name is mudd in the ECAC officiating world and it shows.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
            I give credit for Brown who appeared to outhustle us for much of the night.
            RPI had their chances and were stoned by Brown's keeper -- who sounded like he had a great night - credit to him.

I never thought I'd say this but the officiating just might be getting worse under Stewart's direction. I remember him saying something to the effect that he expected his refs to call the games the way they'd want them called if they were playing. If a ref made that call at the end of a game against Stewart's team when he was playing, he'd have taken a shot at the ref.

My general gripe is not about calls for or against RPI but the overall quality or lack thereof of the crews. The consistent inconsistency from night to night has to be a horror for teams - they have no ----ing idea how a game will be called. One night nothing short of a beheading gets called, the next night if you brush a guy's sweater, you're sitting for 2 mins.

I've seen all of RPI's home games, and several road games and all of the crews struggle at conducting clean, timely faceoff drops on a regular basis. I won't even get into missed or incorrect offsides calls...you'd think with 4 guys on the ice they could at least nail the offsides calls.

OK, I'm done venting.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              RPI had their chances and were stoned by Brown's keeper -- who sounded like he had a great night - credit to him.

I never thought I'd say this but the officiating just might be getting worse under Stewart's direction. I remember him saying something to the effect that he expected his refs to call the games the way they'd want them called if they were playing. If a ref made that call at the end of a game against Stewart's team when he was playing, he'd have taken a shot at the ref.

My general gripe is not about calls for or against RPI but the overall quality or lack thereof of the crews. The consistent inconsistency from night to night has to be a horror for teams - they have no ----ing idea how a game will be called. One night nothing short of a beheading gets called, the next night if you brush a guy's sweater, you're sitting for 2 mins.

I've seen all of RPI's home games, and several road games and all of the crews struggle at conducting clean, timely faceoff drops on a regular basis. I won't even get into missed or incorrect offsides calls...you'd think with 4 guys on the ice they could at least nail the offsides calls.

OK, I'm done venting.
              Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                Excellent post.
                Every once and a while I need to blow off some hot air !
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Every once and a while I need to blow off some hot air !
                  Only every once in a while?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Only every once in a while?
                    Only a recruit commitment can snap me out of this funk !

Comment

OK, I'm done venting.
                      I feel your pain, WS.
                      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Quick (very quick) recap of last night on Without A Peer.
                        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                          Quick (very quick) recap of last night on Without A Peer.
                          Still lots of hockey left to play. A win tonight will leave us right about where we expected to be.

Comment

This is just not true. Anyone who was at the game will agree that we played a poor 2nd period (especially the first half of it). Other than that we outworked and out-chanced Brown in the 1st and by a wide margin in the 2rd. Our PK was very good and their PP was very weak.

It seems like everyone here thought Brown would be a walk in the park. They are improved this year and are now above .500 at home. I don't understand the panic. I'll take the same effort against Brown anytime and believe that similar efforts would result in us coming out on top 75-80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                              This is just not true. Anyone who was at the game will agree that we played a poor 2nd period (especially the first half of it). Other than that we outworked and out-chanced Brown in the 1st and by a wide margin in the 2rd. Our PK was very good and their PP was very weak.

It seems like everyone here thought Brown would be a walk in the park. They are improved this year and are now above .500 at home. I don't understand the panic. I'll take the same effort against Brown anytime and believe that similar efforts would result in us coming out on top 75-80% of the time.
                              OK, when a team takes an entire period "off" its a substantial portion of the game - so I'll delete "much" and insert "1/3".

We gave H a win by sleeping our way thru the 3rd last week. We slept our way thru the 2nd last night and it cost us the game. Are you seeing the issue ? (Yes, I know Ralph, the sample is too small. )
                              However you want to couch it is fine by me, but "similar efforts" (playing two periods of hockey) ain't gonna cut it down the stretch...starting tonight at Yale.

The remaining schedule is @Yale, SLU, Clarkson, @H, @D, Q, P, @ 'gate and @Cornell. Which one of those teams will we beat with "similar efforts" ?

Comment

OK, when a team takes an entire period "off" its a substantial portion of the game - so I'll delete "much" and insert "1/3".

We gave H a win by sleeping our way thru the 3rd last week. We slept our way thru the 2nd last night and it cost us the game. Are you seeing the issue ? (Yes, I know Ralph, the sample is too small. )
                                However you want to couch it is fine by me, but "similar efforts" (playing two periods of hockey) ain't gonna cut it down the stretch...starting tonight at Yale.

The remaining schedule is @Yale, SLU, Clarkson, @H, @D, Q, P, @ 'gate and @Cornell. Which one of those teams will we beat with "similar efforts" ?
                                You are over the top WS. Much to me means the majority of the game. If you said much of the 2nd period I would agree.

I said I would take similar efforts against Brown. I didn't say it would get us wins against Ken Dryden's Cornell team. That said, of the teams listed, I think a similar effort beats D, Q & Clarkson. H, 'gate and P would be 50/50. We need to play better to beat Yale, SLU and Cornell.

This idea that a team has to dominate all 3 periods to win a game is absurd. It just doesn't happen that often.

Comment

Working...
                                X