Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hockey East Quarterfinals UNH (10) @ Lowell (1) 3/10-3/12

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Nah, I'll let the fallout settle down for a day or two, and close that sucker up for the season later this week.

Right now, I'm patiently awaiting arrival of the video versions of the coaches' post-game press conferences.
    Yeah, that's ok figured it was 'too soon'...wondering if there will be much on the UNH side of things although quotes are coming out on Twitter from the Concord Monitor etc. "no comment" when asked if he (DU) would return...Will be an interesting week on player watches and who knows what else!!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was just listening to the UNH post-game on the radio, and I think it was Pete Webster who said that Tirone came up just short of the single season UNH saves record tonight. Apparently he fell short of the record still held by another *favorite* of the UNH boards, Matt DiGirolamo.

So for those wondering why Coach left Tirone in the game after the collapse ... a possible explanation.

Regardless, the sheer stubbornness of today's decision does speak volumes to the man's mindset.
      I never understood the saves record bit... all it means is the team in front of you sucked and that you were the best goalie option while your team sucked. That's not o say a good goalie can't be getting that record but its a record borne out of frustrating circumstances (a team that yields a ton of shots)

edit: if a goalie sets that record the whole team should be saying "I'm sorry"
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
        Sorry to see all of you blaming Umi for the decline of the team! You want the truth, then blame Scarano and the Admission Director, both of which began the decline of both UNH hockey programs 10 years ago......you think it's just coincidence that B-Ball and football have physical coaches, with incidents over their coaching years but McCloskey is fired because he coaches women? Recruiting couldn't get anyone of stature when it would've made a difference in keeping the pipeline improving the team's...........Sorry but the once Nationally ranked programs are now second and third thoughts to football, b-ball, volleyball, gymnastics.......how can other schools maintain all their team's without choosing? UNH men's couldn't even sell half of Lake Whitt for Michigan 2 years ago.....once impossible tickets couldn't sell at $11 with hot dog! So sorry to ruin your funeral guys but it's not Umile's doing........maybe Chuck can explain better......
        I totally understand and share your frustration, zoofer. I think my take on placing the blame for Hockey's downfall (both genders) further upstream is pretty common knowledge on here.

But when your team no-shows in an elimination game like tonight - and it's the latest in a long line of such painfully embarrassing outs - it's hard to blame that on the AD or admissions.

#10 losing to a #1 seed is to be expected. Finishing the first period down 6-1 takes some doing.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          I never understood the saves record bit... all it means is the team in front of you sucked and that you were the best goalie option while your team sucked. That's not o say a good goalie can't be getting that record but its a record borne out of frustrating circumstances (a team that yields a ton of shots)

edit: if a goalie sets that record the whole team should be saying "I'm sorry"
          I don't disagree. It's just the only potentially semi-rational explanation I can come up with on why they persisted with Tirone into the 3rd period when they were down 8-1.

Comment

I'll defer Chuck to your expertise and viewing the game but many teams that ranked way above UNH had ****ty weekend play.....BU needed to horrid calls to beat NU, UVM, Providi, Cornell, Qunni.......so yea they might've "quit" but they also might've run out of gas, which IS Umile not running 4 lines all year and conditioning......but it's like trying to turn around the atmosphere in Cleveland for the Browns..........

Comment

I'll defer Chuck to your expertise and viewing the game but many teams that ranked way above UNH had ****ty weekend play.....BU needed to horrid calls to beat NU, UVM, Providi, Cornell, Qunni.......so yea they might've "quit" but they also might've run out of gas, which IS Umile not running 4 lines all year and conditioning......but it's like trying to turn around the atmosphere in Cleveland for the Browns..........
              That is a point well taken...we discussed that fact esp when watching them down the stretch. Lots of games for them the past week as well (am NOT saying that's an excuse so...) Also good points about the rest of the league and the outcomes.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

When I first saw this earlier this afternoon, I should have known we were in deep, deep trouble.

I guess if there was ever going to be a silver lining in all of this, this will have to be it.
                what are you going to do if its BC-ND Saturday night?
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

UML is clearly the better team. UNH being tired, 6 games in 10 days, was today's problem, not failing to show up. I've been there when they didn't show up. This wasn't that.

Pulling DT thoughts ran the gamut. I settled on Coach thinking that he'd only pull DT if he could pull the whole team.

The U buying out the last year of Coach's contract would be bad for PR, especially with the state budget process underway.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Pulling DT thoughts ran the gamut. I settled on Coach thinking that he'd only pull DT if he could pull the whole team.
                    Union Leader game article.

“Danny was great and he wanted to stay in the game,” said Umile. “We went with his decision. He wanted to compete and it just shows you the type of player he is. He’ll be a leader for us next season.”

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                      Us? ouch...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Us? ouch...
                        That quote came a question or two after he said "no comment" to if he'd be back next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          Sorry to see all of you blaming Umi for the decline of the team! You want the truth, then blame Scarano and the Admission Director, both of which began the decline of both UNH hockey programs 10 years ago......you think it's just coincidence that B-Ball and football have physical coaches, with incidents over their coaching years but McCloskey is fired because he coaches women? Recruiting couldn't get anyone of stature when it would've made a difference in keeping the pipeline improving the team's...........Sorry but the once Nationally ranked programs are now second and third thoughts to football, b-ball, volleyball, gymnastics.......how can other schools maintain all their team's without choosing? UNH men's couldn't even sell half of Lake Whitt for Michigan 2 years ago.....once impossible tickets couldn't sell at $11 with hot dog! So sorry to ruin your funeral guys but it's not Umile's doing........maybe Chuck can explain better......
                          Neil, I don't think resources were taken away from Umile. And I really don't think other sports at UNH are getting more favorable admissions policies than the hockey team. What I do think is that recruiting took a precipitous nose dive over the past five years or so and no one stepped in to correct it.

Please don't take offense when I say this, but it is silly to say that the man at the top of the pyramid holds no responsibility for what has happened to the program. For years I have defended the guy because I truly believe that he embodied what UNH Hockey was all about. The team would never have reached the level that it did without his leadership. But, unfortunately, he just doesn't appear to be as decisive now as he used to be.

Umile is the same age as me. He will be 69 on his next birthday. Take it from one who knows that giving your all at his age is not the same as giving your all when you are 20 or 30 years younger. It's the rare person who can maintain that intensity for a long period. Unfortunately many who continue to work as they approach 70 don't even realize that they are slowing down. As I said, it is easy for others to see that someone has lost his fastball. It's not so easy when you're the guy throwing the ball.

Comment

I appreciate your viewpoint Greg, as you've seen as much as I, though differing perspectives.....while a few years younger than you, I understand what you're saying, especially as I look ahead to shoveling 14-18" tomorrow! I will mention that as one who deals daily with physical pain, I once saw Umi take the ice for practice a day after surgery, and a painful surgical procedure it was....
                            so I don't doubt his ability to cope.....as anyone who has gone thru an 8 month season in the rink, come playoffs or not, you're ready for the off season,( especially if you add a 6 goal first).....
                            And I have no doubt that he'd love hanging with his 6 grand kids, so for me, in reading all the thread comments, I think it boils down to money......if they have to honor the contract with Umi not retiring, then they let him earn the money and work his last year......🤔🤔

Comment

And I have no doubt that he'd love hanging with his 6 grand kids, so for me, in reading all the thread comments, I think it boils down to money......if they have to honor the contract with Umi not retiring, then they let him earn the money and work his last year......����
                              There's no question they have to honor the contract, and that involves paying him his salary as head coach.

The question is really going to be whether UNH actually requires him to earn it behind the bench or not.

And if they do decide to buy him out, they will probably frame it as Coach's decision to "retire" regardless.

This is why coaches entering the last year of their contract often get the label "lame duck" coaches, and why organizations who hire these coaches will often extend the head coach for another year or two, so as to avoid the perception that they're not 100% behind their top guy, and shore up their credibility/strength with the players, etc.

In the pros and in many college settings, extending a head coach just for show usually isn't a huge financial commitment. At UNH, I don't see them being able to afford such "window dressing", so hence we all got to see BS35+4's so-called "three year plan" up front instead.

It will be interesting to see if Coach attends the annual HE Awards Banquet later this week on UNH's behalf ...

Comment

Working...
                              X