Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
    It is nice to get recruits from eastern Canada. After Sweetland I figured we would start a trend and it would be a natural attraction for eastern canadians. Hopefully the trend can continue. I think there are four eastern Canadian recruits now set to come in(hopefully none opt for major junior)...

Adam Dawe, Gander, NL
    Brad Morrissey, Tignish, PEI
    Lynden Breen, Grand Bay-Westfield, NB
    Tim Gould, Riverview, NB
    Dallas Farrell, Montague, PEI
    UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bhall44 View Post
      Also had a chance to watch the Sioux Falls/Fargo game last night. These two teams are really developing quite the rivalry. Very good action throughout the night. Adam Dawe had a shot deflected past the goalie for an assist but was bottled up for most of the night. Fargo dmen played him tight all night and limited his space as much as possible. I would like to see him add extra speed to his game. He does a very good job working and creating in tight spaces but could use the extra element of speed separation to his game. Although he was not able to convert, Ben Meyers was all over the ice and seemingly getting shots at will (6 total). He is seeing the game much better than the start of the season. AJ Drobot has really gelled with Ryan Savage and this line is producing offensively. Drobot has 4G-1A in last 6 GP. Drobot plays with great grit and determination. Reminds me of a mix of Pieper and Cam Brown, definitely a better skater than Brown.
      I watched that game too. With patriots done, I figured I needed another bad habit so I am trying out the hockey tv. I figure for 30 dollars if i can watch a game per day it is a dollar a day.

On Dawe, he seems nifty and has good vision and awareness. Seems like he can see where to be before it is obvious to most. I didn't see him show much speed as you mentioned. But I wonder if it is more about he plays with poise. I think he might be a player that just doesn't need to go all out to generate plays. Looked to me like that anyways. Plus his team had a pretty big lead for a while and that team played conservative and tried to choke the nuetral zone to preserve the 3 goal lead. He took a big shot and got back up, so seems tough.

Drobot was on top penalty kill, one one of the power play units, took a lot of face offs. He seems to be a complete player and seems stronge on his skates. I noticed he went to the net front a lot and was scrappy there. No doubt he will be a favorite of Reds.

On Meyer I noticed his skating first. Seems like a very smooth and efficient skater, able to cover a lot of ice. Seems like a good frame even though I didn't see him hitting that much. Looks like they like to sneak him down on the right doorstep on the power play. And use him as a set up man from down behind the goal line on power play. I didn't see him killing penalties and didn't notice a lot of back checking.

I was disappointer Schmidt-Svejstrup wasnt playing. It looks like he hasnt played in a month. I guess he got a serious injury???

Comment

Dallas Farrell, Montague, PEI
        Doh!

Make it 5, even better!

Comment

Doh!

Make it 5, even better!
          Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.

Comment

Also 5 recruits with connections to the Hounds (Dawe, Farrell, Gould, Morrissey, Renwick). Four of the five from Atlantic Canada. Also worth noting that Carson Mackinnon, and Ethan Crossman were apart of the Atlantic Canada/Notre Dame Hounds recruit pipeline at one point and chose the Major Junior route. Due to age Dawe, Farrell, and Gould are pretty comfortably going the NCAA route. Breen, Morrissey and Renwick could still be enticed. Breen is the most important one to keep and eye. He is a game changer.
            Looks like a younger brother also in the Hounds AA and a handful of AAA games. Looks like he played AAA game yesterday. It is a Gould from same hometown, Riverview, NB.

Comment

On Breen, I'm not sure how it works. I see an article where they are confident he is playing near his hometown in qmjhl. But it also said he would be playing there this year. Since he didn't I wonder if this is a sign he is more likely to play college hockey???

http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...a-battles.html

Comment

On Breen, I'm not sure how it works. I see an article where they are confident he is playing near his hometown in qmjhl. But it also said he would be playing there this year. Since he didn't I wonder if this is a sign he is more likely to play college hockey???

http://stationnation.blogspot.com/20...a-battles.html
                Breen was expected to report to Sea Dogs camp last fall and make a decision on his future. He opted not to report as a 16 year-old. He still could come to camp as a 17 year-old, but it is unlikely.

If he does report to Sea Dogs camp, that does not mean that he is reporting to the team for sure, since he can report and work out with the team so long as he does not accept any gifts from the team and does not play any games (he is from the Saint John area).

Comment

This article makes it seem less likely Morrissey comes to UMaine...

http://www.journalpioneer.com/sports...-chosen-62053/

Comment

More info on Gould...

4-Tim Gould, Notre Dame

Gould is a 2000 born defenseman, so he’s a year younger than most Junior ‘A’ rookies. He also completed his academic schooling in eleven years, not the usual twelve. His off-ice maturity is already beyond what you would expect and his on-ice acumen is up there too. He still needs to fill out his physical frame, but he was the only player to drop the mitts over the course of two days, showing his intensity. He did so, despite nursing a serious gash on his eye (result of a high stick from Saturday).
                    LINK - http://www.rodpedersen.com/2018/01/7...-showcase.html

The more I read the more it sounds like a great recruit. dropped gloves, played with split eye, finished school early. My god, this is exactly the kind of players we want to wear a Maine jersey.

Only 3 defensemen in that league(playing at least 20 games so far) are younger than Gould. And his stats blow their's away. I wonder if his plan is to play USHL hockey next season? Seems like it would be a better challenge.
                    Last edited by BlackI; 02-08-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

This article makes it seem less likely Morrissey comes to UMaine...

http://www.journalpioneer.com/sports...-chosen-62053/
                      Been many articles about Morrissey and Brett Budgell who just left Chicgao (USHL) to head to Islanders (QMJHL). Based on the people I have talked to I wouldn't draw conclusions based on that article. Still not a slam dunk but I would not confer with your statement at this point either.

Comment

i saw the same thing on twitter. safe to say it is best not to believe everything you read on twitter. if Beck is quick to decommit/offer removed than it will be 19/20. otherwise thiessen is most likely to arrive 20-21. the further in time a recruit is from coming the more difficult it is to project when they will arrive. depending on recruit development and early departures these things change. sometimes a recruit decommits because they are asked to come a year later than previously agreed upon.
                        I watched the Brookings game to see Sasson play for first time. Sasson had a good game where he scored a goal. Went to the net and banged in two shots backhanded while being taken down and the second got through the goalies pads. Pesky goal. He won a lot of draws at center, covered a lot of ice, full 200 foot player. He took a lot of shifts late in a tight game where his coach appeared to roll only two lines the final 5 minutes of regulation and until his team scored in OT. Looks like a good skater and good at moving puck through neutral zone.

I was hoping to see Beck. Then I noticed he wasnt on their roster. So I looked on NAHL site at transactions and saw he was released. I wonder what that is all about?

Comment

Adam Dawe was hot this weekend scoring 3 goals and an assist in two games. He is now tied for third in USHL for goals scored.

Ben Meyers played well last night and scored a goal and two assists. He has 7 points in the last 4 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            Adam Dawe was hot this weekend scoring 3 goals and an assist in two games. He is now tied for third in USHL for goals scored.

Ben Meyers played well last night and scored a goal and two assists. He has 7 points in the last 4 games.
                            Those two, along with the Great Dane, are who I’m most excited to see in Orono next year.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                              Those two, along with the Great Dane, are who I’m most excited to see in Orono next year.
                              Me too. But I also think Drobot is going to be a good one. I am hoping Butala and possibly Spicer can bring much solid defensive zone play. It is pretty rare when all of the recruits are from USHL. I think this means it will be one of the strongest classes we've seen.

Comment

Other Notre Dame Hounds from eastern Canada... Scott Pellerin(536 nhl games) and Teddy Purcell(571 nhl games). Looks like we're two for two if you come from eastern Canada and go through Notre Dame and then UMaine.

Hopefully all five make it to Maine in the end, they could add to the list of former eastern Canadian Black bears...

Scott Pellerin, Shediack, NB
                                David Ellis, Hunter River, PEI
                                Dan Fowler, Fredrickton, NB
                                Steve Widmeyer, Bedford, NS
                                Marcel Pineau, Charlottetown, PEI
                                Cory LaRose, Campbellton, NB
                                Ted Purcell, St. John's, NFLD
                                Zach Sill, Truro, NS
                                Andrew Sweetland, Bonavista, NFLD

Comment

Working...
                                X