Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #8 NU @ #2 BU...For A Trip to the Garden

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    And usually in those cases it was Thu-Fri-Sun, that's happened a couple of times when the America East basketball tournament was at Agganis.
    The one that largely sticks out in my mind was one year Lowell got home ice and Tsongas management, not thinking for a second that the River Hawks could possibly ever host a quarterfinal series, had scheduled a concert for quarterfinal Sunday. I think it was 2002 probably? Lowell ended up rattling off a bunch of wins to finish the regular season, and Northeastern tumbled hard in February starting with the Beanpot final, and Lowell ended up passing NU for 4th. The games were definitely not on TV so it wasn't what Sean was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I recall they usually had one Thu-Fri-Sat series and NESN broadcast both a Friday and Saturday game. They would show game 2 of the Thu-Sat series as it was a potential deciding game. For Saturday they would plan to show that series game 3, if necessary, but they also announced a game 2 of a Fri-Sun series as an alternate (and which was usually shown).

Sean
      That is what I recalled as well but didn't post it since I wasn't 100% sure.

Comment

It's GAMEDAY kids!

Hope BU can win in two (sorry Huskies) to avoid going West (different discussion), so let's see if the boys are up to it!

Comment

My preview of the game today, scouting BU and NU's keys to victory

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...agganis-arena/
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
            It's GAMEDAY kids!

Hope BU can win in two (sorry Huskies) to avoid going West (different discussion), so let's see if the boys are up to it!
            That would be nice, but they seem to play better with their backs against the wall. Let's hope they find a killer instinct.

I know it's a different discussion, but one monkey wrench is that it looks like three NCHC teams will be in the top four, meaning they will likely have to put them all in separate regionals (since they will all be #1 seeds). So typically #1 and #2 stay in their own region, but since the three #1 seeds are NCHC, two of them (at least one, but given that Denver and Minnesota is closest to Fargo, Denver will probably come East) will likely come East, meaning potentially two Eastern teams will go West. So just staying in the top 8 and "holding on" to a #2 seed doesn't necessarily guarantee that BU will stay East. In fact, it's likely that Harvard, even though they will be a #1 seed, will have to moved out of the East (along with their 23 fans).

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
              That would be nice, but they seem to play better with their backs against the wall. Let's hope they find a killer instinct.

I know it's a different discussion, but one monkey wrench is that it looks like three NCHC teams will be in the top four, meaning they will likely have to put them all in separate regionals (since they will all be #1 seeds). So typically #1 and #2 stay in their own region, but since the three #1 seeds are NCHC, two of them (at least one, but given that Denver and Minnesota is closest to Fargo, Denver will probably come East) will likely come East, meaning potentially two Eastern teams will go West. So just staying in the top 8 and "holding on" to a #2 seed doesn't necessarily guarantee that BU will stay East. In fact, it's likely that Harvard, even though they will be a #1 seed, will have to moved out of the East (along with their 23 fans).
              There are also 3 HEA teams (BU/Lowell/PC) in the 2/3 bands, so one has to move west, barring PC falling out this weekend.
              There's been quite the twitter discussion on this, mainly centering around the committee likely keeping Providence in Providence regardless of seed for attendance purposes.

I guess we'll see a clearer picture once the weekend is done.

Comment

There are also 3 HEA teams (BU/Lowell/PC) in the 2/3 bands, so one has to move west, barring PC falling out this weekend.
                There's been quite the twitter discussion on this, mainly centering around the committee likely keeping Providence in Providence regardless of seed for attendance purposes.

I guess we'll see a clearer picture once the weekend is done.
                And this is why the whole "bracket integrity" cra* is disingenuous. You can't have it both ways. And, as has been discussed in previous years, this isn't basketball, where the ACC is holding its conference tournament in BROOKLYN and the B1G is holding its tournament in Washington DC! (That's akin to the Big East holding its tournament in Montana). Ridiculous. Hockey can't get away with that. They HAVE to pay attention to attendance. Which is why I like things the way they "were." Have two regionals: East and West. Fans get to see their teams (well, at least in the East, where everything is within reasonable driving distance). The fans in the West are most likely going to have to fly a good percentage of the time anyway (which is probably the rationale for sending a Denver east), so you can't do anything about that. But my point is - decide one way or another. Attendance or bracket integrity. But don't try to serve two masters.
                Last edited by chickod; 03-10-2017, 12:01 PM.

Comment

NU in 3 (somewhat bold prediction), ZAR is the best player on the ice and the MVP of the series (not-so bold prediction) and Sam Kurker scores the game-winning goal in Game 3 on Sunday night (very bold prediction)
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                    NU in 3 (somewhat bold prediction), ZAR is the best player on the ice and the MVP of the series (not-so bold prediction) and Sam Kurker scores the game-winning goal in Game 3 on Sunday night (very bold prediction)
                    NU in 3 is not bold. Sadly. Well, sadly for me.

Kurker scoring game winning goal, definitely bold. As saying Cloonan scoring a winning OT goal would be.

Comment

NU 6-5
                      BU 3-1
                      BU 4-2 (ENG)

Basically, I see BU's defense struggling and too many penalties giving NU at least two PPGs tonight, and then BU clamping down for the following two games.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

NU owned the first. BU owned the second. 2-1 Huskies after 2. I'm not feeling great about this.
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                          NU owned the first. BU owned the second. 2-1 Huskies after 2. I'm not feeling great about this.
                          Nor am I my friend.

Comment

Nor am I my friend.
                            Sniper extraordinaire Chase Phelps gives BU life
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Catching the third period here at the agganis. I can see why it would be frustrating to be an NU fan. What an awful PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
                                Catching the third period here at the agganis. I can see why it would be frustrating to be an NU fan. What an awful PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                NU has one of the top PP. BU also has a terrific PK (most of the time) though

Comment

Working...
                                X