Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #8 NU @ #2 BU...For A Trip to the Garden

Originally posted by Tater View Post

OK, Jim. You had two PPs in the final eight minutes of regulation. Did you even get a shot on net? Is this a ploy to get his team "angry" and fired up?

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
      OK, Jim. You had two PPs in the final eight minutes of regulation. Did you even get a shot on net? Is this a ploy to get his team "angry" and fired up?
      that's a funny by Madigan. Jesus. He has a point though

Comment

I actually agree with you Chickod, I'm all for less replay. The offsides replays in the NHL are about as fun as a root canal. I was simply wondering if the play was clearly onside or ruled inconclusive and by BB's response, it evidently was clearly onside. The review process is even more ridiculous in college, since if a game isn't on TV, it's dependent on student camera work and there are less cameras to begin with.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

LOL, ok. Officiating was bad tonight but NU got some gifts too. I thought this was a legit call.
          If your slogan next year isn't "If you play BU you get death" I'll be disappointed in all of you.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

I didn't have a problem with your bringing it up. All you said was "It looked offside." That's a benign comment. I'm the one that turned it into a rant, because replay (especially as a former official) is a pet peeve of mine. I don't know how any of the officials unions allowed it, quite frankly.

Comment

He kind of bungled the use of the "three things are certain in life" saying. I didn't realize someone dies because they play BU?!

Comment

He kind of bungled the use of the "three things are certain in life" saying. I didn't realize someone dies because they play BU?!
                Poetic license...

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  If your slogan next year isn't "If you play BU you get death" I'll be disappointed in all of you.
                  at the end of the day you only need 7 student tomorrow night holding up homemade placards "IF" "YOU" "PLAY".....
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

but... we don't have students hanging out here any more
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: #8 NU @ #2 BU...For A Trip to the Garden

Maybe that whiney ***** should tell his players to stop committing penalties in overtime.

Comment

Highlights are up, you can see the offside play in question starting at 2:07.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaXiVCMN6Bs
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Well, it's been a calm and happy night but now I'm going to go on a rant. I'm not directing this at you (but you brought it up so it just hit a nerve).

Let's just replay every second of every game forever. If there was a bug on the blue line in the 1st period causing the puck to skip, then history has been changed forever, right?

I mean, how far do you go back? At least in baseball or football there's a "finite" time to a "play." What if there is no stoppage for eight minutes? Someone scores a goal. Do you go back and watch eight minutes of footage to ensure that there wasn't a "violation" somewhere?
                          There is a finite list of what is reviewable, but as far as offsides, a goal can be disallowed no matter how long the puck was in the offensive zone. However the rule was changed so that the automatic review only occurs during the last two minutes of regulation and overtime during the regular season and in all postseason games. For 58 minutes of every regular season game a coach can challenge one offsides or too many men as they have to use their timeout (and as far as I can tell it doesn't matter if they win or lose, the timeout is used). So, why is the last two minutes and overtime more important than the first 58 minutes of regular season games? And why are postseason games treated differently from regular season games?

See Rule 93.4. Video Replay Criteria in the 2016-17 and 2017-18 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations: "To determine if a goal was scored as a result of an offside play or as the result of an undetected too many men on the ice infraction by the attacking team. The opportunity for review exists during the time the puck entered the attacking zone illegally as a result of the offside infraction and until the puck leaves the offending team’s attacking zone. During regular-season competition, a team must use its timeout except in last two minutes of the game or in the overtime period to have these plays reviewed. In postseason competition, offsides and too many players infractions are part of the criteria for review without a coach's challenge."

So, yes, if the attacking team kept the puck in the offensive zone for 5 minutes before scoring and a review of the entry into the zone shows the play was offside then the goal would be disallowed and the clock reset to the time of the offsides or too many men. And as I read the rule it doesn't matter if a whistle is blown during that time or not.

Sean
                          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 03-10-2017, 11:08 PM.
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            So, yes, if the attacking team kept the puck in the offensive zone for 5 minutes before scoring and a review of the entry into the zone shows the play was offside then the goal would be disallowed and the clock reset to the time of the offsides or too many men. And as I read the rule it doesn't matter if a whistle is blown during that time or not.
                            And I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Think about it...do you know how long it takes to review FIVE MINUTES of tape? It takes them five minutes to review ONE PLAY in basketball in football (and they still don't get it right a good percentage of the time after all that). They're not just going to look at it once. Insane...

Comment

And I think that is absolutely ridiculous. Think about it...do you know how long it takes to review FIVE MINUTES of tape? It takes them five minutes to review ONE PLAY in basketball in football (and they still don't get it right a good percentage of the time after all that). They're not just going to look at it once. Insane...
                              Did you read what he wrote?

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                                Did you read what he wrote?
                                Yes. But think about it. Theoretically there could be multiple infractions. How do you know until you go back and look? The puck could have "entered the attacking zone illegally" five minutes before the goal was scored. I get it that once it "leaves the zone" you can't review it, but that's like saying "hindsight is 20/20." The point is, you don't KNOW if there was an infraction until you review everything. Either that or the wording is ambiguous, at least to me.

You're missing the point. It opens a Pandora's Box. Yes, I get it that there are "limitations" about what can be reviewed. But those limitations are being eliminated every year. Every season there are "more and more" things that are "eligible" for review. I said from the beginning this wasn't about "tonight." It's about the general philosophy of "going back" to look at things that have already occurred and not accepting that humans make mistakes. EXAMPLE: A pitcher walks a batter with two outs. The next guy hits a walk-off home run. Upon review, it turns out that ball four was actually a strike. The batter never should have walked in the first place and the game should have been over. Do you go back and change the outcome because the plate umpire missed the call? Do you get what I'm saying? And if you say "That's ridiculous, you're coming up with unlikely scenarios," I would say to you: "Really? Just wait..."
                                Last edited by chickod; 03-10-2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X