#8 NU @ #2 BU...For A Trip to the Garden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: #8 NU @ #2 BU...For A Trip to the Garden

The difference between the two teams was slight. Oettinger made bigger stops in both games than Ruck had to. BU's superior talent showed on two critical plays, one in each game. Keller's skating forced Davies to use his stick to try to hold him up on Friday night. On Saturday, Forsbacka-Karlsson's footwork forced Cockerill to take his late penalty. Also playing a huge role was BU's ability to team defense NU's gunners. NU was never really able to get cohesive breakouts and odd man rushes going. BU won two tough games but with all that acclaimed 'talent', I'm still left wondering just how good they really are, or can be.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
      BU won two tough games but with all that acclaimed 'talent', I'm still left wondering just how good they really are, or can be.
      I hear you...but on the other hand, "good" is a subjective judgment. At the end of the day, how "good" they are will be determined by their record, and by how far they go - and nothing else. Because that's the only quantifiable measurement. I don't really care if they win by 1 or 5, as long as they win.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        I hear you...but on the other hand, "good" is a subjective judgment. At the end of the day, how "good" they are will be determined by their record, and by how far they go - and nothing else. Because that's the only quantifiable measurement. I don't really care if they win by 1 or 5, as long as they win.
        It's also unreasonable to overlook how good the PK was both nights and how well they played defensively in the last two periods last night and the last ~25-30 minutes tonight. This against a team with two lines that are about as good as anyone's in the country. BU could've easily folded both nights, particularly when NU had late first period PPs in both games but held strong and kept the deficit manageable. The most glaring difference in this series was special teams.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          It's also unreasonable to overlook how good the PK was both nights and how well they played defensively in the last two periods last night and the last ~25-30 minutes tonight. This against a team with two lines that are about as good as anyone's in the country. BU could've easily folded both nights, particularly when NU had late first period PPs in both games but held strong and kept the deficit manageable. The most glaring difference in this series was special teams.
          Don't forget the goaltending both nights where Oettinger kept both games from getting away....once again not much offense from BU

Comment

• Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
            Don't forget the goaltending both nights where Oettinger kept both games from getting away....once again not much offense from BU
            I begrudgingly agree, but I also attribute it to NU's D.

Their ability to get sticks in lanes and are not afraid to get physical definitely attributed to our somewhat lackluster offense.

Let's hope the team can bring it against the igles next week

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              BU could've easily folded both nights, particularly when NU had late first period PPs in both games but held strong and kept the deficit manageable.
              What they showed me is that when they had to make plays, they did. Look at the Patriots. They have won five Super Bowls by a COMBINED total of 19 points (or an average of 3.8 points/game). You don't always have to be totally dominant. Just get the W.

Comment

I had a terrific dinner at Brown Sugar Cafe with my son and his GF and that was the highlight of the evening for sure. What can I say? except it is what it is. The fact is we really were not the better team. NU is one dimensional team and was all over the ice again to night. Our hounds are often out of position, undisciplined and poorly coached and as a result no 2 goal lead is ever safe. We were 0-4 against a superior and more talented BU team this season and the fact is that if NU played BU 1000 times we might win 50 or 100 games tops. What I saw tonight I have come to expect. NU was marginal on D and horrible in transition. That said, we still could have had a chance to win and in the grand scheme of things, we finished the season exactly where we should be in 8th place and about perhaps the 5th the or 6th best team in HE. Granted in spite of all the hapless, out of position and lacking fundamental hockey we played for 45 of the 60 minutes tonight, we still could have won if not for the continued bone head play of what is DIV1 worst Defenseman in Garret Cockrell. I have never seen a worse DIV one D man in 30 years of watching and 20 years of playing, he is under sized, lacks skating skills, is slow and totally S U C K S. The kid is burned more than bread in a $2 toaster. He is a DIV 3 D man playing D1 and how he has a scholarship at this level is utter lunacy and insanity at once. Given the talent and level of expectation this season was actually somewhat of a failure in spite of the early injuries. Yes, folks a season wasted as if there was ever a more talented Husky squad offensively I have not seen it. To be certain any season with 18 wins is a great season by NU standards but given the offensive promise this teams final results were a big disappointment. We do only one thing well cycle the puck in the O zone, from there is C+ hockey in every level of measure form Net Minding to D! The over all issue is that I still believe that JM is a good recruiter and a poor hockey coach, and until we fix this we won’t be able to beat BC and BU with any level of consistency regardless of our talent. Let’s face it this weekend the better team won hands down. So once again its been a pleasure ladies and gentlemen, talk to you all in October. Oh this weekend was the nail in the coffin for ZAR Hobey hopes, which one of you think he is 1/2 the offensive player that Kevin Roy is. The fact is, in case you don't remember, KR is twice as talented and would have taken this weekend over when needed. ZAR scored a lot of his goals on PP and had multiple point nights against week teams and this weekend he proved to me and the committee that the best player in the country is at Union! Sorry! He had a great season but he is a bit of a fraud in the point total he does not have the talent of a true offensive zealot, I mean he is a 3 way player more so than KR ever was but when the chips were down he had nothing because he really is just a very good player not a great one.
                Last edited by RossiRules; 03-11-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BUtogether View Post
                  On one hand, four PPGs on the weekend is a great. On the other hand, at even strength the offense had trouble generating good chances for long stretches of play.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                    On one hand, four PPGs on the weekend is a great. On the other hand, at even strength the offense had trouble generating good chances for long stretches of play.
                    I don't know what's going on brass but we are starting to agree...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      And like last night, and the Beanpot two years ago, kill the **** penalty. BU managed to kill the late penalties last night. Just because your team's penalty kill can't do their job, don't take it out on BU. Your team injured one of our best players and got off scott free and you still couldn't pull it out.
                      seriously.

nu peeps just need to realize that their team aint that good. take away the bentley win and arizona state sweep and it's dam near another under .500 season.

you know what??? kill a penalty. like she said. isn't like every other team bu's played the last month couldn't do it.
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        seriously.

nu peeps just need to realize that their team aint that good. take away the bentley win and arizona state sweep and it's dam near another under .500 season.

you know what??? kill a penalty. like she said. isn't like every other team bu's played the last month couldn't do it.
                        Maybe this should be the new standard rather than the pairwise. If you gave up a PPG to BU, you are not allowed to participate in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Chn twitter has a pic of the goal. Something doesn't look right in regard to where ruck is and where krys put the puck. Did ruck misplay the sequence? Will have to check the video.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            Chn twitter has a pic of the goal. Something doesn't look right in regard to where ruck is and where krys put the puck. Did ruck misplay the sequence? Will have to check the video.
                            The wrap around type shot by JFK put Ruck on the post. The rebound shot happened so fast that Ruck had no chance to get back into position. My 11 year old could have buried that shot. Live I didn't even see how we scored, I thought JFKs shot might have trickled past Ruck.
                            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                              Maybe this should be the new standard rather than the pairwise. If you gave up a PPG to BU, you are not allowed to participate in the NCAA tournament.
                              JFC look, I get you despise Quinn and think he's the WORST COACH EVAH, but this sounds like you wanted them to lose and that NU has a case to take to the league and get both wins overturned. Penalties were all legit, like the two late ones called on BU late in the third on Friday. The difference was, BU killed their penalties, NU didn't. NU had a chance to end it on Friday. They didn't. BU had a chance to end it and they did.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                seriously.

IF rolls were reversed BU fans would have burnt he building down. BU was better than NU, I am not disputing that! It just BS that a very marginal call gets made in a tie game with 1 minute left. But its the BU arrogance that makes me hate BU

Comment

Working...
                                X